Cruiser / racer cat racing

ab1974

Thinking of buying a cat at the moment. More cruiser than racer (think Seawind 1000 with a few more toys). Any idea where and who I should be racing with in Auckland??

Clearly wont keep up with the 8.5s, and while I'll have plenty of fridge space for cold beer to make up for being at the back of a general multi fleet, I wouldn't mind racing boat to boat against someone.............

Boat will be at Bayswater or Westhaven. Really just trying to get ideas on what races might suit. Some longer races (Coastal, route 66, Simrad) would suit the boat, but racing other sports multis around shorter courses probably would just see me at the back by myself... Just cant see looking through various race entries if there are any other cruiser racer multis out racing.

Boat isnt a Seawind (would be quicker) but similar enough to give the idea

Well you could always come up to Weiti for our fab short handed series. They are so good that Timberwolf came up once and the last racer would have seen 5 multi's racing if it hadn't been for gale force winds which resulted in the race being cancelled anyway.

NoR here: http://www.weiti.co.nz/NoR_Pages/2011-2 ... 012_SI.htm

Mind you the next one is single handed which may not suit rafts and pitchforks. :lol:

You'd be in a similar performance bracket to the VB, and after having raced 8.5's I reckon you dont even try to race a cruiser or cruiser/racer unless its something like Mahurangi weekend when its comfort that actually counts. If you really want to sail fast there are lots of race boats needing regular crew. And at the big weekends away there are always lots of race boats looking for a comfy mothership to raft up alongside.

The4 VB's of this world are still quick compared to lead swingers of the same length, but no they aren't going to foot it against the stripped out minimalist racers! Keep an eye out for the His n hers two handed round Rangi/Motutapu. As i said before it was cancelled but if we can find a slot we will run it as it's one of our most popular races.

I am in the same boat (so to speak!) .. have a cruiser 14m cat -dagger boards ,screecher,gennaker...but all the comforts and weighs 12 t+ (depending on how much goodies I have aboard!) ..but would love a few cruising boats to get together for even just a few races a season....maybe if we could scrape a few together with similar desires we could map out some sort of programme

I am in the same boat (so to speak!) .. have a cruiser 14m cat -dagger boards ,screecher,gennaker...but all the comforts and weighs 12 t+ (depending on how much goodies I have aboard!) ..but would love a few cruising boats to get together for even just a few races a season....maybe if we could scrape a few together with similar desires we could map out some sort of programme

G'day Paul - Ha ha ha - You only want to get some 'cruising' multi's together for a stoush of sorts - cause - you think - that on handicap if not 'over the line' you'll be up the front. ha ha I don't think I'd be taking that 'rocket-ship' you've got on without -paying the handicapper a few Mt.Gay to make sure I had the advantage. Bloody nice boat - by the way!!! How's it going???

Squidley - have we chased down the Maverick 400 yet?? He's been very quiet. I'd sure like to know how he's going with his newly delivered boat!! Good day everyone, ciao james

If I were bold enough to make a suggestion.

Do everything you can to round up cruising multis, announce a weekend race/cruise in company to a destination (Kawau,bottom end??), have a potluck on the beach or a touring meal at a raft up. Bring instruments.

Let everyone find their own way home the next day.

It is easy to start and finish a race without a race committee (ask Atom Ant)

If I were bold enough to make a suggestion.

Do everything you can to round up cruising multis, announce a weekend race/cruise in company to a destination (Kawau,bottom end??), have a potluck on the beach or a touring meal at a raft up. Bring instruments.

Let everyone find their own way home the next day.

It is easy to start and finish a race without a race committee (ask Atom Ant)

Sounds a bloody good idea .... how about the w/e the Super Yachts go to Kawau ? Not sure off hand what w/e that is (Feb?) ..but would be a great w/e to see them sailing as a bonus... we can anchor in close as they will need mega water underneath !! lol

If we go the fri night ..have a round Kawau race on the sat followed by bbq'ed scallops (if we get lucky!)

Any takers....?

Hi James...been lying low...fractured my knee jumping rocks - few screws later ..still doing rehab but getting there slowly...didnt even go away at xmas..hope all is well over there...

Paul

As a starting point I'd suggest Mahurangi Weekend.

We sail up Friday 27th Avo.

We used to have a race starting off westhaven or Orakei, it could be a Mark Foy start.

It is very easy to re arrange that race.

On the Saturday the Sandspit Club organises a Special Race for the Multis finishing by Scotts Landing coinciding with the Classics regatta. In the past we have had really great turn outs for this.

On the Sunday we used to have a Mark Foy race to Bon Accord, once again its easy to arrange that, I still have the start board with the numbers, start horn etc.

The Saturday and Sunday raft ups are the stuff legends are made of, and 11 boats is not considered too many !

Monday, tootle off home at your leisure (its Anniversary weekend).

Looks like a couple of great suggestions there. Unfortunately even if I do go ahead it wont be done by the the end of this month so I'll have to watch from the sideline hopefully having kicked off some interest.

McMoggy would be my sort of dream boat - though out of reach for me unless Lotto pays out or my bonus gets alot bigger!

But that is the concept I'm looking at - a fast cruiser. Say 70% cruising and 30% 'socal' racing. Destination races are a good concept but would still like some Wed night stuff just to get the boat out and use it. Its half the reason I race my current keeler - to use it - otherwise to only get out every couple of weekends it becomes harder to justify.

Would have thought McMoggy should go reasonably smartly. Also good for someone to sell on in the future in NZ or Oz given taxes paid in both countries!

She was the boat that really got me thinking about a fast cruising cat. Was returning from the coastal on a 1020 about 4 years ago in a 20-25 knot westerly, and she came ripping past us like we were sitting still. I reckon we were bashing along a 6 knots and they were doing 12-15. Us all wet, those guys dry and presumably cooking a three course lunch with matching wines..........

Archived