Beserk 2?

grant

Brazils antarctic base burns down with 2 people known to be lost, 40 plus evacuated back to south America.

And as an aside they apparent lost (sunk) a barge with 10,000L of diesel aboard some time ago and tried to cover it up!!!

These are the folk who are looking after antarctica???

Gets it more in perspective with what the Nilaya didn't do and the hysteria around the :what if"

Food for thought?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6482181 ... ica-search

Lawyer Nils Jorgen Vordah said he had talked to Andhoy via satellite phone. The sailor said that he and his crew have given up on the search for his missing yacht and are preparing to sail through a 200 nautical mile ice-belt.

"Their plans are now completed and they have decided to sail from the area and head north. But now Jarle has new questions he wants answered," Vordah told the newspaper.

According to the lawyer, Andhoy is prepared to meet criticism in Norway, where questions are likely to be raised about the loss of life of the three crew members.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6482181/Viking-quits-Antarctica-search

Lawyer Nils Jorgen Vordah said he had talked to Andhoy via satellite phone. The sailor said that he and his crew have given up on the search for his missing yacht and are preparing to sail through a 200 nautical mile ice-belt.

"Their plans are now completed and they have decided to sail from the area and head north. But now Jarle has new questions he wants answered," Vordah told the newspaper.

According to the lawyer, Andhoy is prepared to meet criticism in Norway, where questions are likely to be raised about the loss of life of the three crew members.

So, what, he searched for all of 2 days after arriving down there? :eh:

Brazils antarctic base burns down with 2 people known to be lost, 40 plus evacuated back to south America.

And as an aside they apparent lost (sunk) a barge with 10,000L of diesel aboard some time ago and tried to cover it up!!!

These are the folk who are looking after antarctica???

Gets it more in perspective with what the Nilaya didn't do and the hysteria around the :what if"

Food for thought?

Brazil was not an original signatory to the treaty and didn't even become a consultative party until the 80s. Like so many South American countries they joined the bandwagon because of the strategic importance of Antarctica (my opinion). (The Antarctic Peninsula directly below South America is the only place shots have been fired by military personnel in Antarctica). However, as a member of the treaty they are bound by the protocols in place and whether or not they tried to cover up their barge sinking they can be and will be held accountable by the treaty organisation.

The Viking tosser is choosing to ignore the protocols and has no ability to clean up mess as has already been proven by his previous glory seeking trip. If the press ignored him he would be just another bum, washed up on the shores of his broken dreams.

Guest Crafty 1

Just got of a plane and thought i would have a nose at this thread and.... Holey FARK!!!

Pwederell! for a mature adult you are boarding on ridiculous! and you call the viking a tosser while defending the Brazilian petrogras corp???

There is only one person tossing of here and all in the "moonlit memories" of spending time down there... supposedly?

How many excuses are you going to make for the Tossers that re your "mates" down there!!!

How many deaths and how much pollution by your "authourised" researchers is acceptable before you say they are worse than a fella in a small yacht.?

As i said before and will repeat again...

The "authorized" people down there are causing heaps of pollution and half of it ain't reported!!... yet you keep telling me its not true, they are all good, and the rules will protect the antartic! :roll: :lol: ... and yet here is another example! (that i had heard about in Janurary :roll: )

I believe, from my sources, that this barge is breaknig up and will cause more pollution than any yachtie will ever cause! but don't worry you keep fightng the wrong fight!

Large legal pollution and death is worse than small illegal pollution and death... except in Pwederell's mind! :crazy:

but don't let the facts get in the way of you defending your mates down there!

Just got of a plane and thought i would have a nose at this thread and.... Holey FARK!!!

Pwederell! for a mature adult you are boarding on ridiculous! and you call the viking a tosser while defending the Brazilian petrogras corp???

Please stipulate what you believe is ridiculous and also specify where I have defended the Brazilians. Also, please provide evidence that the Brazilians have a petrogas corporate presence in Antarctic waters

There is only one person tossing of here and all in the "moonlit memories" of spending time down there... supposedly?

Please specify in writing here if you are accusing me of lying by your reference to "supposedly spending time there.

How many excuses are you going to make for the Tossers that re your "mates" down there!!!

Please specify particular posts or part thereof where I have made excuses for "my mates down there"

How many deaths and how much pollution by your "authourised" researchers is acceptable before you say they are worse than a fella in a small yacht.?

None

As i said before and will repeat again...

The "authorized" people down there are causing heaps of pollution and half of it ain't reported!!... yet you keep telling me its not true, they are all good, and the rules will protect the antartic! :roll: :lol: ... and yet here is another example! (that i had heard about in Janurary :roll: )

Please specify the source of your assertions regarding the non reporting of pollution.

I believe, from my sources, that this barge is breaknig up and will cause more pollution than any yachtie will ever cause! but don't worry you keep fightng the wrong fight!

Please specify evidence of your assertions regarding the barge breaking up

Large legal pollution and death is worse than small illegal pollution and death... except in Pwederell's mind! :crazy:

Please specify where I have made such a claim

but don't let the facts get in the way of you defending your mates down there!

Please carefully consider your response to the above and keep it factual rather than "playing the man".

Crafty1.... GO AWAY!!!

The "authorized" people down there are causing heaps of pollution and half of it ain't reported!!..

That is plain and simply a load of Bull, totaly plucked out of the blue by you to plain and simply create an argument and to try and discredit a member here. STOP IT!!!

But alas, I know you wont. You can't stop it. You can't help yourself.

Oh and learn to use the "quote" feature so as we know you are quoting someone.

Guest Crafty 1
Crafty1.... GO AWAY!!!
The "authorized" people down there are causing heaps of pollution and half of it ain't reported!!..

That is plain and simply a load of Bull, totaly plucked out of the blue by you to plain and simply create an argument and to try and discredit a member here. STOP IT!!!

What crap wheels. Stick to your own knitting. read next post. and don't tell people what todo when you are wrong.

Nothing is plucked out of the blue! and with all, but diminishing, respect you are not a moderator..

anyway...

Guest Crafty 1

Pwederell,

My arguemwnt is not with the person but with the persons statments about how bad this , as you call label him, "Viking" is compared to the people charged with working down in the Antartic

These same people are also incharge of acting to the laws (Madrid 1992) of which som,e have not been finalised nor ratified!

These same people, and others (researchers / fisherman / cruis ships), who are approved to be down there have (as you will see in the following links) created thousands more pollution and many more deaths than the Viking! This is a fact (wheels :crazy: )

These polluters have acted outside the rules and some have even tried to hide their pollution. There are many others who have polluted and said nothing (albeit on a smaller but more numerous level... including the American Airforce, New Zealand Airforce...

These researchers, from many countries, just by being down their, are pollutuing daily!... you cannot heat buildings, develop electricity,burn fuel, ... and not pollute!... unless you are telling me they have some kind of "exhaust technology that stops fuel burn (say from planes etc) from hitting the atomesphere and ice? :roll:

Finally the "administration o the "rule" down there is very average! and as you will read, by experts and Govt agencies following, they are not policing all parties down their, and there is still active high levels of hydrocarbon pollution leaching out of vessellsthat sunk there in 1994.

so how is this so called viking so bad and worse the what has and is happening down there?

Steve Pope said it all in his post that you tried to negate by defending the real polluters!

here you go...

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctic ... lution.htm

http://www.classroom.antarctica.gov.au/ ... -antarctic

Bullet point #3

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22039975/ns ... oil-spill/

Last paragraph

http://www.antarcticmarc.com/bahia.html

last paragraph in particular.

http://www.scar.org/researchgroups/life ... uelspills/

I find the "Foe" button useful for people who launch personal attacks on me, insinuate I might be a liar, refuse to answer reasonable questions and resort to the lazy method of posting selective links to support specious arguments.

It is a shame Crafty, as in some of your previous incarnations on this forum you provided useful advice about paint and in fact I defended you on occasion but it appears your psychological condition has deteriorated beyond hope.

Guest Crafty 1
I find the "Foe" button useful for people who launch personal attacks on me, insinuate I might be a liar, refuse to answer reasonable questions and resort to the lazy method of posting selective links to support specious arguments.

It is a shame Crafty, as in some of your previous incarnations on this forum you provided useful advice about paint and in fact I defended you on occasion but it appears your psychological condition has deteriorated beyond hope.

:lol: :lol: ...

I take it from that personal attack on me you are no different! :roll: but alls fair in lve and war :thumbup:

I answered your questions in detail and gave good examples and proof from more experts (of a higher calibre than you and me) and attached links to prove you are indeed wrong in your bagging of the Viking and me (with regards to pollution and who is doing what and who are the biggest culprits "legal or illegal").

It obviously proves i am indeed right because you have obviously read the post and seen the details and can only come bacK with a post that dribbles on about....

NOTHING!...

Which tells me i am indeed correct (as is Steve Pope) and you have backed yourself into a corner.

oh yeah.... and the insult of me (for which you say i do and you do not) :crazy: :crazy: just confirms you are not rational and maybe a little rattled.

Pwederell, The net effect of your posts has been to confirm that you may be the one that needs to review the grey matter and also understand what i am debating with you.

anyway i am on another flight in a short while and will be out of contact for a month while i travel across one of the most beautifull parts of the world. :D

enjoy! :angel:

I am not quite sure how Brazil can call their base an Antarctic Base, because it is actually on South Georgia Island.

So out of all those links Crafty, the sum total of them is about one ship which was an accident back in 1989.

Wheels - the Brazilian base is on the South Shetland Islands not South Georgia. Its about 800 NM SW of South Georgia at about 62 deg south - anything south of 60 deg counts as the Antarctic as far as the treaty goes.

It was from the top of the South Shetlands (Elephant Island) that Shackleton made his epic voyage in the open boat "James Caird" to South Georgia in 1915 to organise rescue of his crew. The boat was adapted by the carpenter Harry McNish for the voyage and he was one of 5 in the crew. He died destitute in Wellington in 1930.

Last I heard 5 days ago was Beserk was giving up the search and heading north, no word since?.

Anyone know where he's planning on docking next?, can't imagine him getting a great reception from NZ customs?.

Looking at the weather down below i'm picking he's chucked a few reefs in and is making slow going of it.

Crafty1.... GO AWAY!!!

unfortunately he is spot on with regard to "authorised pollution"

I don't think anybody is denying that the authorised programmes down there are polluting however some context is needed.

This is based on my own knowledge of power generation and infrastructure maintenance for both the US and NZ programmes. The NZ base generators were running at about 85% efficiency due to waste heat recapture for building heating etc. This compares with around 35% efficiency of a typical diesel engine. Recently a joint initiative between the US & NZ programmes and Meridian (I think) has led to power sharing and cogeneration using wind between McMurdo and Scott Base.

There is a dedicated fuels department as well a waste management department and rigid procedures in place for reporting and cleaning accidental pollution.

Both the NZ and US programmes have been and are actively involved in remediation of historic sites including removal of radioactive soil, historic fuel spills, old rubbish dumps etc form the old days before environmental awareness was a priority.

The viking tosser however spilt fuel close to the water maker intake for Scott Base and left it to someone else to clean up, went fanging off on a boondoggle to the South Pole and generally left a trail of crap for others to deal with.

Oh, did I mention he was also involved in loss of 3 lives and additional pollution by the loss of Berserk, all for the sake of his ego.

Guest Crafty 1
I don't think anybody is denying that the authorised programmes down there are polluting however some context is needed.

This is based on my own knowledge of power generation and infrastructure maintenance for both the US and NZ programmes. The NZ base generators were running at about 85% efficiency due to waste heat recapture for building heating etc. This compares with around 35% efficiency of a typical diesel engine. Recently a joint initiative between the US & NZ programmes and Meridian (I think) has led to power sharing and cogeneration using wind between McMurdo and Scott Base.

There is a dedicated fuels department as well a waste management department and rigid procedures in place for reporting and cleaning accidental pollution.

Both the NZ and US programmes have been and are actively involved in remediation of historic sites including removal of radioactive soil, historic fuel spills, old rubbish dumps etc form the old days before environmental awareness was a priority.

The viking tosser however spilt fuel close to the water maker intake for Scott Base and left it to someone else to clean up, went fanging off on a boondoggle to the South Pole and generally left a trail of crap for others to deal with.

Oh, did I mention he was also involved in loss of 3 lives and additional pollution by the loss of Berserk, all for the sake of his ego.

Found some wirless net work amoungst the serenity...

You don't get it Pwderell do you? :wtf:

You keep defending the plentifull "legal" polluters" while bagging one guy in a small boat.

this next link (and i use links as pwederell will not believe anything i say) shows you every scientific base in the Antartic and these are all serviced by polluting oil based fuels!,

but what is worse is THE FACT that each country's base is placed there under the guise of scientific study but the reality is they are there to make / stake a claim for the huge mineral / oil wealth beneah the ice when the treaty lapses or the a majority of the Countries down there can the treaty and grap as much oil and mineral wealth they can when the current supplies become exhausted.

To everbody else, other than the "blinded" Pwderrell,... ask youself... "WHY so many sites and why does Argentina need so many???...

.... rememeber we spend $25 millionPA and Aussie $150 million PA and we are small players... so why the Interest... and if you think they do not leave a fooprint... then you are dreaming!

Nyway... looK here...

http://www.ecophotoexplorers.com/Antarc ... s.asp#map1

Guest Crafty 1

Now lets talk Cruise Ships down there...

By guardian.co.uk | Apr 19, 2009

Tough new restrictions on the number of people visiting Antarctica are to be implemented as the volume of visitors to the White Continent continues to soar.

Cruise ships carrying more than 500 passengers will be prohibited from landing anyone. Only 100 visitors are to be allowed on shore at any given time, in an attempt to prevent damage to the region's unique ecosystem.

The limits, agreed by the 28 countries that have signed the Antarctic treaty, including the UK, are to be imposed as figures show that visitor numbers have risen from 6,700 in 1992 to more than 45,000.

Such rapid growth has alarmed environmentalists keen to protect a region severely threatened by global warming that is home to several varieties of penguins and seals and is a vital feeding ground for whales.

Scientists fear that visitors could unwittingly introduce invasive species, such as rats, insects and plants, with the potential to devastate the delicate frozen landscape.

The measures are also designed to prevent Titanic-style disasters with huge loss of life. Many of the vessels in the area are not equipped to cope with the harsh conditions and the dangers of icebergs, an increasing risk as climate change precipitates the breaking up of ice. There are concerns over the difficulties of evacuating liners carrying between 2,000 and 3,000 passengers.

In 2007 more than 150 passengers and crew on the cruise ship Explorer were rescued from lifeboats in freezing water after the vessel was holed by an iceberg and sank, leaking oil into the ocean.

Last month more than 100 people trapped on a cruise ship, including 17 Britons, had to be evacuated after it ran aground near an Argentinian naval base. Experts have documented six incidents in just over a year that risked major contamination.

Earlier this month a 40km ice bridge linking a shelf of ice the size of Jamaica to two islands in Antarctica collapsed. The bridge is thought to have been integral to the structure of the 13,000 sq km Wilkins Ice Shelf that scientists predict may now disintegrate into thousands of icebergs.

The new restrictions were agreed at the 32nd Antarctic treaty consultative meeting in Baltimore, Maryland, at the end of fortnight-long talks.

TOO LITTLE TO LATE...?

But Pwederrel will tell you this is less of a problem that our viking freinds 2 visits. :roll:

Archived