Beserk 2?

grant

He arrived by plane as Elly says and he bought the boat here. It was immigration that kicked him out, and then had second thoughts and decided to track him down.

Great media story, hence tvnz sending a crew down to the ice in the hope that something that they consider "news" worthy might happen, another sinking perhaps.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10784986

Mana Party leader Hone Harawira was delighted with the flag-planting, Pene said. Harawira had joked that none of his rivals in the Maori Party would plant a flag on Antarctica.

That is seriously not cool. Up until now NZ hasnt been directly implicated in this, it's a rogue Scandanavian explorer breaking the rules who happened to transit thru NZ to pick up a boat. But for a NZ political party flag to appear on the ice in full world view is pathetic and starts to pull NZ into this in an unflattering light.

Well Morgan isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea either (I know who I'd find more interesting to have a beer with)!

And as you point out, if Andhoy got into trouble and Morgan refused to help then he (Morgan) would be liable for breaching international maritime law/convention.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6421878/Gareth-Morgan-I-hope-Norwegian-sinks

Seems Gareth baby doesn't like the man too much.

Not sure that "countries" (or indeed individuals) can declare they won't fulfill their rescue obligations...

That's a bit of an about-face by Gareth; I saw him interviewed on TV the other night and say the Norwegian had as much right to go down there as he did, and he would rescue him if needed because he might be in the reverse situation.

While Gareth Morgan might have expertise in financial matters, I sometimes wonder why the media consult him, or at least report his comments, on all manner of seemingly unrelated issues. Is he some kind of universal expert or something? He keeps popping up in all sorts of areas putting in his 2 cents worth in everything from climate change to homeless people. Is he shaping up for a 2nd career in politics or something?

Never really left. Just threw a few hystrionics for dramatic effect, laid a few heffalump traps and lurked for a while in order to provoke the "look at me" effect. Squid's happy to keep him around because his comments incite righteous indignation amongst the regulars and increases traffic thru posting, puffing and postulating and provides entertainment for those that watch.

Guest Crafty 1
yeah, me among them unfortunately.

Just between me and you grinna, :shh: :shh: :shh:

It takes a lot of skill to drag quality guys like you, Rocket, JohnMi, KM, Wheels, AA, Ogre, MS, Pwderell, Steve pope... into threads and get you wound up.

i am such a naughty boy :twisted:

The passion of said debates is great and quite humerous in a Mounty python kind of way.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/6452169/Sc ... -equipment

Polar officials told a Norwegian sailor his gear was in storage at New Zealand's Scott Base before he began an illicit yacht voyage to Antarctica to get it, base manager Iain Miller says.

The gear was part of a depot created by crew from a Norwegian yacht Berserk which sank a year ago tomorrow when caught in a storm in McMurdo Sound. Three men disappeared.

Jarle Andhoy, 34, a self-proclaimed Norwegian Viking who owned the Beserk and was trying to reach the South Pole on a quad bike at the time of the sinking, is sailing a 16-metre steel yacht, Nilaya, south after he was forced out of Auckland by Immigration New Zealand nearly a month ago while planning his illegal polar expedition.

He does not have permission to be in Antarctica but claims he wants to look for the depot that contained mooring equipment, anchor ice, food and other aids so that the crew could use Backdoor Bay and Horse Shoe Bay, near Scott Base, as places of refuge in case something bad happened.

I have heard that the gear is now back in CHCH.

I also had a huge laugh at that Mana party guy that hitched a ride on the boat. He had a complete freakout when he saw the size of the sea's down there and thought everyone was nuts purposely going down there in that stuff. He is also complaining about it being so cold. Idiot.

Archived