Akl Harbour bridge clearance

rigger

I have it on reasonable authority that Greenhithe bridge has 20m clearance at 1.0m tide. We will be testing that next week to within a couple hundred mm so will find out for sure...

I have it on reasonable authority that Greenhithe bridge has 20m clearance at 1.0m tide. We will be testing that next week to within a couple hundred mm so will find out for sure...

MHWS 3.32m

your low tide 1.0m

your height + your low tide = height from chart datum = 21m

17m (charted height) + 3.22 (MHWS) = height from chart datum = 20.22m

NOTE: MHWS has changed over time.

With about 80mm to spare I suspect if you had been at the mast head you would have thought it was going to hit until the exact moment that it didn't! That would be very tricky to judge.

Not much room for error there Nate. Well done good to know. Suspect my 13m will be just fine then!

Sonmethign I discovered last weekend, was that everytime i come back in (heading upstream to Hobsonville) under the Harbour Bridge, all my instruments lock up. Thats GPS, Log and wind. Navman and Northstar. Four units plus the GPS. They lose all the numbers and the needle on the wind instrument goes to 12oclock and they lockup. I have to turn power off to them and back on again. I have had it happen everytime, but never noted where exactly it happened before. Till thistime i went below to the GPS and the screen was still stuck on the chart with boat right under the bridge. Most strange.

Yes we had someone at the mast head and yes it was nerve-racking!

The underside of the bridge is very flat and level transversely, so with the mast head at eye level you were able to judge clearance by whether you were able to see the underside of the bridge or not. Still a big call to make, but on the second 'fly by' the young fella up the rig called it and through we went. Not planning to do it again anytime soon.

Sonmethign I discovered last weekend, was that everytime i come back in (heading upstream to Hobsonville) under the Harbour Bridge, all my instruments lock up. Thats GPS, Log and wind. Navman and Northstar. Four units plus the GPS. They lose all the numbers and the needle on the wind instrument goes to 12oclock and they lockup. I have to turn power off to them and back on again. I have had it happen everytime, but never noted where exactly it happened before. Till thistime i went below to the GPS and the screen was still stuck on the chart with boat right under the bridge. Most strange.

Happened to me Sunday on a little sail up to Herald Island and back. After the harbour bridge, the log stopped working, switched it off and on and working fine again

How big a boat John B??

I was looking tfor the vertical clearance on the bridge earlier this week, should have known Crew.org.nz would hav ethe answer!! My thoughts were that if the America's Cup course went under the bridge and around Ponui, then the boats would be naturally limited on height and drft and there's be no need for any other "rules" on design.

45 ft. There's 90 ft through the arch according to Darcy.

But I cheated. I dithered and let me mate go through first ,and that confirmed the spare half mast height or so.

A quick scan of my sailplan says 16m luff length, so say max 19 to w/l. Still don't feel good about it - maybe if I followed you.

If you believe the 90 ft/27 M ,then you have plenty to spare. Our air draft is around 17 so we had tons of room for error, plus the similar height rig pioneering for us.

' course there's always the swell rise and fall......

Archived