How Small a Boat?

Grinna

Got it (but from memory there are lots of es so not a problem)

No I think it is "the supply belonging to the world" so I would keep that one but "world supply" works as well.(maybe?)

Maybe!!

World can't be posessive. It can't 'own' anything. We talk about the world economy, the world oil supply, the world heritage fund.........

I'm 90% sure.

I think it comes down to who's with you. Taking my family I think 32-35 would be ideal but just with mates I really would go in anything as long as its setup well. I have been offshore in loads of different sizes. I think 35-45ft (monos, don't have much offshore multihull experience) are the most comfortable. Bigger boats can pound hard especially performance boats. My most unconfortable trips ever have been on boats over 90ft and that's over 60,000nm on big boats.

Smaller than 30 and its uncomfortable much earlier in the wind range and for longer but still seaworthy in most cases.

I reckon the T850 waka( round north island 2008) would go thru damn near anything. Might not be comfortable but safe as, greater stability index than 99% of boats.

I've never been offshore, but I did read something a long time ago about the probabilities of various things happening to you depending on your boat size.

I can't quite remember the details though. But something like On your average circumnavigation you stand to be rolled once in a boat around 25ft, knocked down once in a boat around 30 something ft, and probably just scared once in a boat around 40ft. I can't remember the exact numbers. But it was based on some relationship between avg wave height and boat length. Of course there are many more factors to take into account.

I think it comes down to budget, as long as aboat is sea worthy and meets saftey regs then Go, Personally i have done many miles on plus 60 feet and many on 34 feet, Both are great just different, it comes down to who you go with and how far you can go on the $ you have, A rule of thumb i was taught from young, and i quote. " girls will not lay down in a boat they cant stand up in so in my opion there is the bench mark

Kurt

A rule of thumb i was taught from young, and i quote. " girls will not lay down in a boat they cant stand up in so in my opion there is the bench mark

Sounds like a pretty good bench mark to me! :lol:

girls lie down, chickens lay eggs. I sent out an email yesterday with "families " where I should have used "family's", been feeling bad ever since.

:lol: :thumbup: Quite right CO! I read it and didn't even notice! LOL Normally it's the sort of thing I cringe at!

On the whole, the posts on crew.org are grammatically correct (although probably only a few really care), which is always a reasonably good indication of the intellect of those posting. :shh: It's not always the case of course! :lol:

I'm sure you've told us before BB but what have you got?

30 ft IOR half tonner, designed by Guy Thompson (UK designer renowned for high-stability boats) and built by Ian Franklin in the mid-70s.

[attachment=0]Sala1.jpg[/attachment]

Cool. 2 of you presumably (or do you plan to carry crew to help on the longer legs)?

Well on a rotating watch system you need one less bunks for the number of crew. And when it gets warmer they can sleep on deck. :D

P.S. That's not an offer btw!

Archived