Teak deck and standing rigging replacement

Battgirl

At 15yrs old the standing rigging is due for replacement.

It seems to makes sense to have the teak deck checked out/redone if need be before new rigging goes on.

I've seen the previous threads dealing with the pros and cons, possible costs of a new teak deck so I may be looking at epoxy/paint but there won't be any of that fake stuff on this boat.

At this stage I'm after someone user friendly who knows their teak decks to advise me on its condition so I can decide whether to repair or replace before getting the rigging done.

The boat's in Auckland but I am happy to look outside the area.

All advice and suggestions appreciated.

Errrr, whats the boat?? as in, can it stand 10's of thousands of dollars spent on it, or is it over capitilising.

Is the deck leaking?? If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

Probably want somone knowledgable to look at it. Teak weares away slowly, and it could be watertight, but still close to the end of its useful life. Are all the old plugs still there?Is there a noticeable high spot around hardware like chainplates? Can you see anywhere how thick the original teak was and how much is left?

Thanks guys. Its 30+ years old on a 34ft boat and about half original thickness which I am yet to determine. From time to time small amounts of water get in along the toe rail. I ask myself what that's doing to the ply under the teak.

All the plugs are still there, the deck looks in pretty good nick and feels solid to walk on which is why I want someone who knows their teak decks to look at it.

Its no help but I've seen far worse decks on younger boats.

The plugs are one thing, but the caulking is another. If the sealant between the timber is in good nick and not pulling away from the edges of the timber slats, then it should be OK. The big problem with these decks is that when you get a leak, the water will travel a great distance underneath till it finds place in and so trying to find and fix a leak can be a nightmare.

Removing the teak is expensive unless you want to do it yourself. Preparing the ply underneath is more tedious than anything. Glassing over the ply is needed and then your painting.

Cost in replacing Teak varies wildly based on what type of teak you use. Teak prices vary from $9K per cubic metre for cheap stuff upto $23K per c/M for the good stuff, which is really what you want for decking. Then there is the Machining time and prep and laying time etc. And then depending on the kind of finish you want. Superboat quality, standard quality or cheap.

I had the teak cockpit floor and comings replaced on Joint Effort (Farr 1020) and it cost $2,200.00

That was mates rates too !

A whole deck and cockpit would cost tens of thousands, and prob over capitalise your boat, as said above. :(

I would guess that if the decision was taken to remove the teak you would replace with glass and ply, more teak just too damn expensive. A mate and I removed an entire teak deck off a Peterson 44 in one day of hard work. Then he hit it with a belt sander, epoxy, ply, glass paint (took a bit longer). Looked terrific when finished.

just did a quote for a boat, and was quoted from a supplier $10.00 plus gst per l/m per plank 8mm thick 47mm wide plus groove.

then add labour, black stuff glue ........ so think of a cockpit floor say 1.5m x .6m $180.00 + gst just for the teak alone without wastage ( planks don,t come cut neatly at 1.5m )

I would guess that if the decision was taken to remove the teak you would replace with glass and ply, more teak just too damn expensive. A mate and I removed an entire teak deck off a Peterson 44 in one day of hard work. Then he hit it with a belt sander, epoxy, ply, glass paint (took a bit longer). Looked terrific when finished.

Did the same to my old man's boat in the Weiti BC shed a few years back. Ripped off the teak with crowbars and hammer claws, belt sander, then 6mm marine ply and glass. Best thing that we could have done.

Thanks everyone for your help. I agree that with the cost of teak and the fact it wears out I can't see the sense in a new teak deck on my boat.

I like Endless Summer's nonskid decks and actually think my boat will look much nicer done that way too.

Now I've just got to bite the bullet and get on with it.

Any recommendations on someone to do the epoxy/glass bit now please?

Having followed Timberwolf's story I was hoping FnG would step forward. I better get organised now.

Next, can anyone recommend a value for money rigger that can educate me and answer my dumb questions please?

also gulf harbour rigging is quiet good, they seem to answer all my silly questions :)

Ditto. Phil Ash at GH Rigging always gives some straight answers and advice, highly recommend.

Having a quick suss of news sites feedback and listening to the radio it sure looks like there isn't much sympathy for the workers bar they have been diddled by the Union boss dude, who does appear to be the target of most vitriol saying he's been a lieing bastard and shat on him own members.

There are also one or 2 suggesting none of the workers Union meetings were unanimous in the voting yet they have been saying they all were. There does, assuming the reports are correct, seem there is quite a bit of dissension in the workers ranks over the whole thing and some have already approached the new contractors and have been given jobs, if it all comes off that way. Some talk of bully boy tactics at some of those meetings.

If the Union boss dude has shat on his members I hope someone runs him over with a straddle lift.......... purely by accident obviously.

While I have no particular leanings either way I am happy that at last it's come to a head and something will be sorted. All this pissing around is doing no one any good.

The sad thing is the whole thing could have been worked out ages ago but it became a personal pissing match between one or 2 people by the looks, all at the expense of the workers. Mind you anyone pulling over twice the median wage can't really bitch they are being that are done by or are impoverished.

Archived