Volvo High performance yacht designconference free admisson

Chewing Gum

High performance yacht design conference panel discussion 12 March 2012

7 - 9pm

Venue: Viaduct Events Centre, Latitude Lounge Level 3

Cost: Free public attendance

Contact info: Elyse Kirke

Contact email: foe-events@auckland.ac.nz

Register: Visit www.hpyd.org.nz or phone (09) 923 5347.

Panel discussion on Volvo 70 design and sailability and the launch of new Master of Engineering Studies in Yacht Engineering degree.

Hosted by yachting commentator Peter Montgomery, the panel will discuss how hard it is to sail the VO70s to their full potential, how much effort that requires from crew, how design for seaworthiness is considered, and hypothetically if you didn’t have to look after the crew how much faster could you make them whilst staying inside the rules.

Panel members include:

Chris Nicholson (Skipper, Camper / ETNZ)

Tony Mutter (Watch Captain, PUMA Ocean Racing)

Mike Sanderson (Skipper, Team Sanya)

Simon Fisher (Helmsman, Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing)

Giovanni Belgrano (Designer, Camper/ETNZ)

Ian Campbell (Design consultant, Wolfson Unit)

Gautier Sergent (Sail designer, Groupama Sailing Team)

That looks very interesting. I will try and make it.

Gautier Sergent is a north sails NZ sail designer who is designing all the sails for groupama. Must be doing something right cos they are not slow!!

Did anyone manage to get a video of this open panel discussion?

If not, can anyone write a report on the topics and the meat of it?

Needless to say I wasn't able to attend, but was very interested nonetheless...

Did anyone manage to get a video of this open panel discussion?

If not, can anyone write a report on the topics and the meat of it?

Not sure there was any video, but it was an interesting discussion, with a very large turnout. The main things I took out of it or can remember (very short summary!):

* The Volvo 70 rule, although now mature, is just like any other rule in that each generation of boats will continue to be faster than the previous.

* The designer in attendance (can't recall name) is not sure the sandwich construction method is the best, can achieve good impact resistance without the foam core.

* Providing for crew comfort and safety can yield speed advantages - ways of shedding water is an important design consideration. Camper cockpit slighly shorter than others (800-900mm) which means a larger deck area to shed water. New hatches etc much better at stopping water ingress down below (main water down below from wet weather gear, and, I guess, splits in the occasional bow structure).

* Acceleration of the new boats is marked. Main cause of injuries from waves coming over with firehose force.

* Volvo 70s and the Open 60 rules are converging, although V70 have better angles of stability. May see more roller furling sails in future (although that raises rigging issues, and it seems to me might reduce the amount of sails on deck that have become an important way of protecting the crew from spray/waves)

* The sail limitation means each sail really needs to count - it seemed to me that what might be saved by limiting sails could be offset by what is spent on design/modelling etc (but didn't ask a question on this so pure conjecture on my part).

* Knowing when to back off is critical, they throttle back the V70s much earlier than the V60s which they were able to/had to push much harder. The crews are in no doubt about the ability to break a V70.

* The need to bring in more young blood to the crews, the present crew limit may be counter productive as it highlights the need for experience in each position (the present quota does help to some extent).

I think that was about it, I'm sure ootherrs have other recollections.

very good summary richard.

I was a little disappointed the question someone asked wasn't really answered

"Does they think that more protection for the crew would result in a perfomrance increase?"

Apparently it has on the open 60s

I have some of the notes now and I will out them up tomorrow, but im not to sure how many of them relate to last nights event. There about 8 pages

Archived