The World in Whitianga

Fogg

Given NZ's dependence on tourism I'd have thought you guys (and Whitiangans) would be more grateful than that.

Miserable buggers.

Got to feel sorry for the folks at Whitianga with that bloody eyesore parked in the Bay spoiling the view, what a hedious piece of crap.

:lol: Too funny. Thanks Willow, made me laugh.

They'll come shore and spend $ (or moiney :lol: ) What are you complaining about. For goodness sake you'll complain soon that no one ever visits.

I know, you're right AA. Imagine how the visiting tourists diaries read: "They're a funny little lot on this remote island. The look at our ship very peculiarly and seem happy when we finally leave so they can go back to their dark mutterings. And they don't even seem grateful to see us spending our money there - they prefer an unspoilt view without our ship visiting apparently. Which I suppose must mean their economy is thriving do much they don't even need us - in which case I wonder what those strange little hobbit folk actually do? Anyway, back to normality soon, next stop Pitcairn."

Ok but on a spectrum of the impact of tourism on a country with one end being great give us more vs the other end being Christ this has destroyed our identity and country and turned us into commercial parasites then surely we are at the former? In other words we could do with a load more well healed, wealthyl tourists before it ruins our country.

I wonder how much it costs to live on that thing.

Would sure beat living in a rest home. :think:

disclaimer: (Not for me. It has no sails!)

and you have yet to win $25m Lotto . . .

like most of us :lol:

Some people live aboard permanently and have paid over $10m for a penthouse suit on the upper deck. At the other end of the scale I think the most basic 50sqm cabin on a 3 month timeshare costs around $300k. So as much of a cross section as in the real world I guess.

You must have seen overseas what excessive tourisim can do to a place, it never turns out good for the inhabitants.

Is one visit excessive? I can't see it being anything but positive for the local economy at the very least.

Archived