Debacle at T,W, XYZ Westhaven - WTF

WTF is going on with the council and their running of Westhaven? (again)

Was down there yesterday and most of the public parks and quite a few of the permit holders parks are taken up/fenced off with some motorcross display being built?

The 15 minute unloading parks were full of contractors vans (they moved when I told them I couldnt park on their site so dont park in our parks please)

I spoke to WH management and it was approved by council as they didn't want it down on the Quay street area. WTF - so put it down Westhaven?

We pay through the nose for the facility and slowly but surely they are taking stuff off us - I had power close to my boat up til RWC, then they took it away, filled the place with overweight pomes and never put the power back when they left.

Now the XYZ guys and girls have limited parking, no parking for visitors and a bunch of 17 year-old petrol head tagging little tossers turning up to coin the cars of those poor people lucky enough to be away on their boats having left their cars parked down there.

Its really starting to irk me - anyone got a contact for WH Marina users association?

LOGO should be here but attached instead.

January 2012 Newsletter

Your Committee hopes that you have recently enjoyed some good time on the water.

2012 is likely to be a significant year for Westhaven. The Waterfront Development Agency is now focusing its attention on the redevelopment of the marina. The Agency will be addressing its position on the refurbishment of piers G to S as part of the overall redevelopment plan. Moves to ease the parking congestion on the South side of the marina have been put in place. Other stakeholders who currently use Westhaven amenity spaces are becoming increasingly aware of possible changes to their access to water and land based facilities.

All of these developments will mean that your committee will have to be very pro active on your behalf to ensure that your rights and privileges are safeguarded and improved.

Westhaven Redevelopment.

The Waterfront Development Agency has appointed a UK based firm of marina planning consultants Marina Projects Ltd to advise on the detailed master plan for Westhaven. Your committee is concerned about the cost and pertinence of utilising an offshore firm to undertake this work. In response to our query this appointment the Agency has stated that the firm concerned was selected through a competitive tender process in which several local firms participated.

As a first step in the detailed planning process your committee met representatives of Marina Projects on January 20th. Before that meeting we provided that company with a short briefing paper which explains how Westhaven evolved. Our briefing also made it clear that:

Westhaven is already a vibrant active water sports and marine leisure facility offering valuable facilities to a wide range of Auckland's public.

Westhaven generates over six million dollars a year in revenue. This sum far exceeds the current operating expenditure and the future cost of refurbishment.

Our members rights and privileges are set out in the Westhaven Trust deeds and supporting statements which state categorically that Westhaven Marina should be operated primarily as a not for profit water recreation facility.

In addition to providing the above briefing your committee has also written to The Trustees of the Two Westhaven Trusts formally requesting clarification of their responsibilities towards berth licencees and renters. Our intention here is to make it quite clear that we expect the Trustees to act in our best interests.

One matter of concern regarding the overall development of Westhaven is the future of the swing and pile moorings. There are strong indications that these valuable facilities will disappear or be substantially reduced if the number of marina berths are increased. If you are currently utilising those facilities please identify yourself by emailing or writing to us at PO Box 47876 Ponsonby. It is vital that we are fully aware of the number of users of piles and swing moorings who are WMUA members so that we can directly represent your interests

Refurbishment Piers G to S

The question of who pays for the refurbishment of these ageing piers is still unresolved at this time. Your committee continues to press the view that berth licencees are already meeting their responsibilities towards costs involved through the refurbishment levy included in the annual operating charges. On your behalf we have continued to negotiate with Westhaven management to resolve this issue. We will continue to negotiate in order to avoid costly litigation.

Car Parking South Side Marina

Westhaven Management has come up with a scheme to cut down the use of South Side public car parks by Wynyard Quarter office workers. Basically the plan is to restrict parking to a maximum of three hours.

In theory this scheme should deter all day parkers. It should not affect boats crews using the spaces provided when taking part in evening racing as the restrictions will terminate at six pm. All day free parking will be available throughout weekends.

Your committee thinks that this scheme is likely to work.

Public Use of Westhaven

As you are probably aware Westhaven is widely utilised by a variety of water sport organisations. Activities include Dragon Boating, Sail Training, Disabled Sailing .Kayaking and Model Yacht Racing.

On your behalf we have contacted the organisations representing these users to ensure that we all speak with the same voice when dealing with the Waterfront Development Agency.

This contact is part of our determination to make developers planners and administrators acutely aware of Westhaven's prominence as a water sport facility currently used by thousands of Aucklanders.

Electrical Connections

As you are aware Westhaven introduced enhanced requirements regarding the connection of boats to electricity power points within the marina. Your committee believes that these rules are unnecessary. Further work is being undertaken to clarify the requirements of electricity safety legislation as regards boat connections in marinas.

We will let you know the results of our research once it is completed.

We have received information from one our members that the enhanced connection system recommended by Westhaven Management could have caused excessive corrosion to underwater fittings on his boat. If any other members have encountered excessive corrosion since upgrading connections can they contact the committee.

The next twelve months are likely to see critical issues regarding the future shape and usage of Westhaven debated and resolved. It is very important that you support your committee by remaining financial members of the Association.

Please ensure that you pay your 2012 subscription on time when requested in order to continue your Membership

Trevor Dunn

Chairman

WUMA.gif

Car Parking South Side Marina

Westhaven Management has come up with a scheme to cut down the use of South Side public car parks by Wynyard Quarter office workers. Basically the plan is to restrict parking to a maximum of three hours.

In theory this scheme should deter all day parkers. It should not affect boats crews using the spaces provided when taking part in evening racing as the restrictions will terminate at six pm. All day free parking will be available throughout weekends.

So next time I want to go out for more than 3 hours mid week I have a problem?

Parking on the water is likely to become more difficult/expensive too as the Auckland Council recognises its revenue value from Auckland "rich elite".

No problem with the event just not the smartest location.... what about the port... there is a bit of idle space there right now!

I emailed the council to give them my humble opinion.

Check this link for the parking plan. http://www.redbull.co.nz/cs/Satellite/e ... 3182804912

We are trying to go out for a practice sail tomorrow afternoon (hard to get all crew together) and it looks like it will be chaos from 0900 tomorrow. Event organisers are promoting all public spaces at Westhaven and advising people not to park in Berthholders yellow parks.... ok lets see how well that works.

We will probably end up with a lone cycling mastman on a stealth mission to infiltrate their perimeter and hi jack the boat for a crew pick up at Viaduct

Im Down there at the moment, if you thinking of coming down don't its noisy chaos!

Thankfully I'm on S peir at the moment but any further up there is no parking.

Their just warming up the sound system so that along with the bikes are going to make it very noisy tomorrow!

Shane

WTF is going on with the council and their running of Westhaven? (again)

Was down there yesterday and most of the public parks and quite a few of the permit holders parks are taken up/fenced off with some motorcross display being built?

The 15 minute unloading parks were full of contractors vans (they moved when I told them I couldnt park on their site so dont park in our parks please)

I spoke to WH management and it was approved by council as they didn't want it down on the Quay street area. WTF - so put it down Westhaven?

We pay through the nose for the facility and slowly but surely they are taking stuff off us - I had power close to my boat up til RWC, then they took it away, filled the place with overweight pomes and never put the power back when they left.

Now the XYZ guys and girls have limited parking, no parking for visitors and a bunch of 17 year-old petrol head tagging little tossers turning up to coin the cars of those poor people lucky enough to be away on their boats having left their cars parked down there.

Its really starting to irk me - anyone got a contact for WH Marina users association?

I was down there today....It's like a damn circus down there.

Now I don't have a problem with circus's...as they pay ground rent.

I have no problem with "our" (Being a berth holder) facility at westhaven being used by others for events occassionally - So long as it's in the users interests.

So far from the take over uses that have occurred in the past 12 months at westhaven- I don't believe any of the events staged there have helped reduce the annual fees we pay - or improved the facilities.

A very easy fix to the parking issue is to put gates in and put PIN CODES on the gate.

same as we have for gate accesss at the berth.

Will be pretty obvious if someone gives their code out and all and sundry start using it.

And that a low cost option and would require no policing- outside of reviewing pin logs occasionally for "erratic" use.

Auckland City Council- are not in westhaven for the improvement of the "city of sails"..... The killed that off pretty publicly when they changed the citys logo.

Auckland City Council- are not in westhaven for the improvement of the "city of sails"..... The killed that off pretty publicly when they changed the citys logo.

100% agree with you.

So a question, when an organisation is "Not for Profit", at what point does a Profit become a "Profit". To word that slightly differently, if they are making $6mill per year and I assume operational costs come out of that, then lets say they save $1mill/yr (as a figure) that is over and above the operational costs. Would that not be called a Profit? And I assume the Council then takes a "dividened" from that. I say "dividened" in abbreviations because they possibly call it somehting else. Thus would that not be Profit taking?

I have been on several and still on a "Not for Profit Organisation" and we as Board members can not take any reward for what we do. As a Trust, we come under a larger Organisation, so that would be like the Marina and the Larger Council, but in our case, the larger organisation can not take any finacial reward either. So how does this work for the Marina?

A share of "head office" administration, promotional and financial costs has been known to "SHIFT" money between different "business or operational" units rapidly.

I have had to "walk" the odd $30m monthly cheques myself to keeps the books in order.

I reckon WTF a text message would have been nice I had to go on saturday because I was booked in at the floating dock it wa chaos then.

I certainly can't recall being sent anything from the Marina.

I've had txt messages from them at times around other works going on.....But not the about taking the piss and using the car park for "entertainment" use.

I'd be all for this sort of activity happening - if I knew as a westhaven lease holder that the revenue received would help reduce our annual fees.

Same goes for the addition of the multihull berths down x pier. Great idea.

But I doubt any of the revenue from making these/selling them/renting them will contribute to the reduction in annual costs to other berth holders....which it should shouldn't it? Given there is a larger pool of berths to split the costs over.

I have huge concerns as a general yachtie about the plans of killing off the pile moorings. It scuttles any plans for me in the future of ever owning anything much bigger than I have now. (unless I suddenly earn loads more- which I doubt!)

I was sent an email from W'haven about this and I'm not even a bertholder, just a recent visitor, so presumably they have my current email in their new system.

Was down at H pier yesterday afternoon arrived at 1330 and left again at 1530 via Herne Bay entrance.

Credit to organisers at least that end of Marina was working well, not sure about the other end.

Still not best location but worked for us.

Just had a call from Westhaven Marina about this - we weren't seriously inconvenienced thanks to the golf cart valets and managed to get an ok carpark on the Saturday for the weekend, but I emailed them to see if events like this are a sign of things to come. The original plan was apparently going to cover a lot more of the carpark but the marina said no, so the actual event was a downsized version. Red Bull set up this event at various locations (last year at Britomart), and it won't be back to Westhaven - although the marina feels it was managed ok and they maintained some vacant spaces throughout Sunday. They note that it was less disruptive than the marathon that effectively closes the marina for the morning but the marina's hands are tied on that front.

Just had a call from Westhaven Marina about this - we weren't seriously inconvenienced thanks to the golf cart valets and managed to get an ok carpark on the Saturday for the weekend, but I emailed them to see if events like this are a sign of things to come. The original plan was apparently going to cover a lot more of the carpark but the marina said no, so the actual event was a downsized version. Red Bull set up this event at various locations (last year at Britomart), and it won't be back to Westhaven - although the marina feels it was managed ok and they maintained some vacant spaces throughout Sunday. They note that it was less disruptive than the marathon that effectively closes the marina for the morning but the marina's hands are tied on that front.

I'd probably agree to it happening again.

I'd be happier getting some notice.....and knowing that the venue hireage resulted in a reduction in costs to the marina users.

The notice about this even was non-existent as far as I can tell.

The guys in the carts were helpful and friendly- even when not needed!

Archived