The ongoing misadventure...

banaari

Finally managed to get enough of a weekend, and the help and mentoring of a Very Good Friend Indeed ™ to get the wee beast out of the water and antifouled. What finally went back in is something of an improvement.

Discovered along the way that at some time in the past she's been repaired in the area just forward of the port keel. The original bolts are placed head-up, and threaded into the keel metal. The replacements were installed head-down... those heads had mostly corroded away leaving that keel less than perfectly attached to the hull and the transverse girders within. Brief rant here: Given the bolts are kind of critical to the structure WHY would you render the inside ends inaccessible by glassing furniture over the top? The previous repairer had been forced to cut himself an access hand-hole; *I* was forced to tighten the nuts 1/6th of a turn at a time. Gaaargh.

Pending hauling her out and parking her at home over next winter for a complete repaint (and osmosis fix, and, and...), we've deviously raised the waterline about 4 inches... that and the boot topping effectively fix the worst of the mess. Might now be able to update my avatar to a photo taken in the light of day :mrgreen:

IMAG0196_sm.jpg

IMAG0225_sm.jpg

Cool story thanks mate, she looks very pretty sitting in that berth now. I am sure that you will have a heap of fun on board

And don't worry I would say every crew.org member has had most of that happen to them at some time with their boats.............

Today we spent holed up in Marsden Cove, getting the rudder seen to. Several miles south of Kawau on Sunday, the lower pintle pin fractured where welded to the tang. We were able to make South Cove using the directional abilities of the outboard, and there employ a spare shackle to jury rig the lower linkage, before moseying up to North Cove for the night.

The drive (no usable wind to speak of) to Marsden Point from Cape Rodney was the first time I've had the fun of setting course for a destination not actually visible over the horizon. Quite unnerving at first but by god I want more of it :) :) Glassy seas and sun all the way. Totally ommitted to take the tide into account and had a hell of a slog up the Whangarei channel against the current.

Dropped the rudder off this morning, and then rented a car and scuttled into Whangarei to get a few non-critical but nice-to-have provisions. Including an electric galley pump... the current hand operated unit is more or less useless, and leaks. Expecting to spend Thursday holed up in Tutukaka.

Yes, very strong tide run! The trick to coming in against the tide is stick as close as possible to the northern edge. From Smugglers Cove just get as close to the cliffs as you can and skirt around the edges of the channel from there. There's almost a back current going on in places, quite strange. That way you just have to cross across it closer to the Marina entrance if that's where you're headed. It does mean that heading from where you were you have to head more towards Heads, rather than the entrance in order to sneak down to avoid the super strong tidal run close to the entrance. You'll notice strong tidal runs around tuts as well. Hope you have a great day tomorrow!

Holed up in Tutukaka waiting out the weather.

Parents have driven up to say hi and were delighted to be taken for a tiki-tour round the harbour even in the drizzle.

Taken by the crew as we departed Kawau, Monday morning:

sunrise.JPG

Pity I didn't know earlier. We came right past your door. Now in in the bay across from the refinery. Blowing a Gale. But it was not too bad out the front of Tutukaka. Came from Whangamumu today. Ran into the blow about 2hrs off The Bream Head.

Spent another day holed up in Tutukaka. Elected to spend some of it conducting boat-handling exercises as if single-handed, while I still have the luxury of a safety person on board. All good; she's so small there's not a lot to handle, and of course there's that incredibly useful "azimuthing thruster" hanging off the tail...

Aiming initially for Whangamumu tomorrow or possibly round into the BOI itself depending on progress.

Arrived in the Kerikeri Basin yesterday after an absolutely magic sail in from Oke Bay... last bit being downwind wing-and-wing straight up the inlet.

Wee beastie is now parked on her home mooring; now the fun REALLY begins :) :)

Archived