Thought on Yamaha8hp (Long) for dinghy and 24ft yacht?

100,000 volts passing through it that the would be light fingered git doesn't know about until he grabs the thing and he is shot 100m away, hand still attached to outboard, attached to the boat

Wow - hadn't thought of that. It would make IDing the lowlife easier wouldn't it? Provided the fingertips weren't fried. :shifty:

G'day, I have an S&S 24 standard version with a 15hp Mariner longshaft on it. Absolutely brilliant but no way would I transfer it to a dinghy. Permanently attached via various anti lowlife systems. I used to race in the eighties on one with an Evinrude 9.9 and we used to move it inside, now older and lazyier so 15hp stays on back. Will be doing SSANZ next year and will change to 5hp Yamy to reduce weight. Summary ... 15 or 8hp for cruising or need to get somewhere on time, 5hp do job for racing and don't need to be back at work on time!

Hi , A new poster and another S&S 24, Welcome aboard.

The S and S have an outboard well don't they? I had an 8 hp Tohatsu XL shaft (25") on a rise and fall bracket on my Harmonic. It hardly ever lifted out even when it was rough and plenty of reserve power to motor back to Westpark against wind and tide. Bit big to be transferring all the time though.

lowlife? i believe hes talking about the type of people that set about making a profit from other peoples hard work. i.e stealing sh*t

anti lowlife would be chains/padlocks/100,000 volts passing through it that the would be light fingered git doesn't know about until he grabs the thing and he is shot 100m away, hand still attached to outboard, attached to the boat

:clap:

Yep, good description of lowlife anti left devices. We have also parked the boat in front of a retired couple who load the shotgun at the sight of unknowns, which works pretty well also.

Yes, our S&S has an outboard well. Elmo, did I read that you had an inboard? If so, your boat probably won't have an outboard well.

Decide what outboard you're getting to figure out your weights and then you will know what to mount it on. A 15hp like mine I would use a Tenob which is NZ made. Mortgage your left one for purchase but well worth it for peace of mind.

Ive got a Mercury 15hp (Rebranded tohatsu 18hp) weighs 37kg and i can lift it off the back of the boat, it aint light but we take it off for racing. But it depends on the transom layout and where the bracket is. We are open transomed so access straight above the outboard is easy as and makes it much nicer.

Marshy sometimes lets the Mercury have a little swim when it gets too hot. :lol:

I made a padded bag for the outboard with handles so you just dropped it into the bag and passed it down stairs.

Sounds like a good idea... Having trouble visualising it though. At the risk of drifting... could you explain further? :thumbup:

The bag is just a padded sheet about 1.5 x 1.5m with ties on the inside and outside, you lay the outboard in itboat and wrap the bag around it and tie it up.

Keeps both the outboard and the boat from getting dinged.

I agree with johnmac, although I do not know about prop pitches. My boat weighs under a tonne most times and I have a 3hp for racing and an 8hp long for straight home stuff. Even inside Westhaven marina anything over 25kn is a problem with the 3hp, otherwise it it is great, 5kn downhill and easy to transfer. If very windy I have to steer almost straight into the wind, have to steer with the outboard itself as the tiller does nothing if the wind is broad, and pray like hell the little fuel tank has enough juice to get me to a quiet patch. Those little outboards chomp through an amazing amount of gas in situations like that. the 8hp is a breeze and worry free. I transfer it to the inflatable sometimes but it is a pain. Large outboards on little tenders is a coin flip waiting to happen.

If there is a swell then nearly always use flappy bits as it is impossible to keep the butt in the water.

Isn't there a racing rule about having to travel at 5kn under aux power?

Padding idea is good Booboo, where can one buy padded stuff please?

I'm with GregW - have a Nisson 4 stroke 6hp EXTRA long shaft 9 (about 30 KG) on my 4,400 lb. 26 foot keeler. Still, when it gets very choppy, ya gotta sail.

Here's the gringo site for it . .

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Nissan-6-hp-NSF6C4.html

The four stroke has an advantage at lower rpm's.

I would not want to have to switch it off to a dink regularly.

Archived