Big fenders

ab1974

Well the new cat is parked in her berth at Bayswater. One of the new cat berths at the northern end. I must say they are pretty tight, particularly when you are trying to park something that feels like a small ship compared to my old beloved E7.9.

The cat doesn't have any rubbing strips (asthetics) and I am reversing between two poles without much room left and there isnt a side finger. Berth is exposed and faces S/N so I will typically have wind side on and there is lots of windage. Ultimately I know I will touch the pole and mark the boat- something I want to avoid.

Thinking I need a full length fender as normal fenders wont be able to cope with a pole running down the side.

Had a idea to get a long sausage type fender made up - 200mm diameter x 12-14m long, so could be tied whole way along the side. Have asked Southern Pacific for a price.

Would be inflatable so could be deflated and rolled away when not being used.

Any other thoughts or solutions??

Any idea who would sell something like that??

Guess solves the issue for that berth but not doesn' solve the issue of coming up to a wharf with poles such as kawau island yacht club. Fender alwaysnin the wrong place. Maybe just need a few more long flat foam felders for that issue .....

Could you not drop two bolsters over the side then a lump of 4X2 over the side and long enough to go well past the two bolsters?

Get KM to sort it out. He is a legend getting mooring lines just the right length and i'm sure could point you in the direction of the fenders for the poles. The marina itself also does fendering solutions but I'm not sure what they charge..

I have a boat with tumblehome, a nightmare for berthing /docking. So I set up my marina with a fender floating inside the centre pile and that works when it turns to s#$@, which it does periodically. What I keep on intending to do is make a long board.. say ply even, with a couple of inches of closed cell foam glued inside it.

Ie a tailored fender board, maybe with a bit of shape laminated in.

Bugger I thought I had photos. Nope.

Which boat/berth is it AB? You the multi in the way back corner by the end of A pier where that big steelie sank? Let me know as I have to pop down there this evening so can suss it better which may give you more options.

Thanks KM if youve any ideas wouldnbe appreciated. Will try to walk past Timberwolf this weekend.

My new pole fenders from Skid Fenders are just so awesome. They are exactly what you need and my situation is the exact same as yours.

we used to always hit the pole, now we just bounce off the fenders.

phone Stephen Dickens on 09 424 1621

Thanks KM. Yep I am in the corner. Looking almost at the stern of Suburban Reptile. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks Tim. Will give Stephen a call.

Those tyre -type skid fenders should be good but think you can get a softer covering put on them as well as some I have seen look as though they could be a bit abrasive on paintwork if much weight was put on them..

My situation was quite different as we have a finger each side and invested a bit to make it like a straight jacket :lol: has been great but our berth is quite a tight one sea room wise with the sea wall and sometimes depending on the tide we have to come on an angle before straightening..if you are going to have a look at TW you could check out our padding - just opposite Smithy...boat is P'zazz

Just to clarify a little.

Mine are called Skid fenders, they are a Padded Foam Ring mounted on Black Plastic Pipe.

The Pipe slides over the pole and sits on top of the tyre that the rings are attached to.

the surface is covered in a type of plastic similar to PVC. no wat are they going to damage paintwork.

Mine are the prototype 250mm wide model (for lighter boats). most of the other skid fenders are 500-800mm deep

I think Paulg is talking about those white plastic tyres that spin at the bottom of the pile.

yeah they could do a bit of damage I'd guess.

The skid fenders are covered with a dyneema based fabric, hence the slipperiness. Skiddy also do a wheel, 2 differing sizes. If for whatever reason the covers get rooted they can be recovered.

They can also make custom gear given time and coin. I just got another pile for a new 50fters berth, which had some custom ones I wanted, and it's come up sex plus. Westyhaven T16, I think it was if anyone wants a suss.

We have been working with Skiddy for a while to get some good stuff so there is some KM input meaning just what I'm knot sure. The foam inside is closed cell so doesn't suck up water and is laminated with assorted grades so as you bang deeper into it you find a firmer foam. Watching some of the testing, where they drive cars into it, it does take one hell of a bash without damage. Bashes far in excess of what usually do, even the more loose boaters.

It isn't the cheapest, yet knot horrendously priced, but it sure is a good step up from the chinese lightweights.

AB, Yeap now I know which one you are, go take a suss of Timberwolfs rolling fender, I think that's the puppy for you. There are some larger ones in some marinas but Tims is more than enough to stop topside dings. The price is also a lot better with Tims than the bigger ones.

Best to speak to Wimal (more organised) rather than Steven (the mad scientist but like my one only partially organised ;) ) They can be hard to get sometimes so if you need something just PM me, I have all the info here.

If you look really close you may see my newly finished docklines, eh KM ?

He doesn't do those any more.

Anyway, how about rigging up one of these? Looks cheap enough. Pretty effective too.

Yokohama%20Fenders_800_600.jpg

Tick tick Tick, 14 months.... tick Tick tick

When one of the old mooring lines broke last week, I thought I really should have gotten

those old lines replaced..............

Has anyone else been watching this thread and waiting for someone to take the title and post something like this:

gaytest.jpg

Yet we have an earnest discussion going on about docking boats - what the hell is wrong with everyone??

Has anyone else been watching this thread and waiting for someone to take the title and post something like this:

[attachment=0]gaytest.jpg[/attachment]

Yet we have an earnest discussion going on about docking boats - what the hell is wrong with everyone??

Yes I was v tempted but being at work didn't want to run the risk. Hence the boring pic of the tyre raft. You beat me to it!

Archived