Running from Typhoons Genuine 80 knots. It's Scary!

smithy09

Holy crap Smithy, that looks like a part time submarine! I'd be shitting myself and I don't mind admitting it. Nope, I'm happy with my comforts of home and no amount of money would entice me out there.

Haha. Yeah good fun, except when you want to sleep or eat... Good pic huh? Like I said, I wasn't scared, but getting there....

Na, that is that ass kissing stage right there.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Great photo

Holy crap Smithy, that looks like a part time submarine! I'd be shitting myself and I don't mind admitting it. Nope, I'm happy with my comforts of home and no amount of money would entice me out there.

C'mon AA. You would do it. Just think of the raft you could buy!! :D :D

Gooday Smithy & Curley & the rest of you's blokes. "raft" what raft - It'd have to be concrete, eh ??? then 'wheels' would be at home. I'd be to 'shite-scared' - me thinks.

Is there any yacht - that you can think of - that any of us might afford to own - that could - weather those conditions - with any chance of comming out alive ??? what about your yacht - do you think it would have survived ??? - surely knot anything that I might own. When you get a chance to get off the vessel - take a pic that shows us the real size of it so we can get even more scared when we see the size of a wave that would get up to the light on the crane base. Thanks for showing us that the ocean is really a big bad place - especially in areas of the sea - that get like that. I'm staying in the bath c/w 'lill rubber duckie - me thinks. Ciao, james

Gooday Smithy & Curley & the rest of you's blokes. "raft" what raft - It'd have to be concrete, eh ??? then 'wheels' would be at home. I'd be to 'shite-scared' - me thinks.

Is there any yacht - that you can think of - that any of us might afford to own - that could - weather those conditions - with any chance of comming out alive ??? what about your yacht - do you think it would have survived ??? - surely knot anything that I might own. When you get a chance to get off the vessel - take a pic that shows us the real size of it so we can get even more scared when we see the size of a wave that would get up to the light on the crane base. Thanks for showing us that the ocean is really a big bad place - especially in areas of the sea - that get like that. I'm staying in the bath c/w 'lill rubber duckie - me thinks. Ciao, james

Umm, 2000 tonne boat at 25knots sideways in the southern ocean in 20m swells, best you stay in your bath cause it is not a place i want to ever want to be (both of them...)

Do you (or any of the ship's crew) get seasick?

Not sue about Smithys crowd but having been out in some rough stuff with waves breaking over the Bridge / Wheelhouse on an anchor handling tug I can answer the question about sea sickness - some do get seasick some do not.

Though did have a crew member get injured while he was in his bunk, got thrown into the fwd bulkhead.

A Tug free running is not comfortable in bad weather.

Amazing pics ..that last dosnt lie ...please let me knot be in a similar blow in my 38 footer..

would you have any pressure charts for the same time ?

( or if you could give me a time utc and rough lon and lat I could track it down ...would be most greatfull)

Hey idlerboat. the worst day was June 19th. lat and Long are earlier in this thread and we were approx 80 miles south of that position, roughly 200 miles SE of Hong Kong. the depression came up very fast and changed direction suddenly..

Regarding the Seasickness, most of the Chinese on board were sick and some of the Indian Galley staff, but in general the crew were pretty good, and the galley was open right through the storm. Big ups to them! It was hard enough to eat the food let alone cook it!!

A couple of pics of the ship are attached..

Hi Rigger. Yeah, I'm sure you have seen much worse as you've been doing it much longer, and in smaller ships! I wouldn't have liked to have been in a Tug in that stuff..

Asiana 16 inch Riser.jpg

mermaid asiana.JPG

Hi Rigger. Yeah, I'm sure you have seen much worse as you've been doing it much longer, and in smaller ships! I wouldn't have liked to have been in a Tug in that stuff..

Do not think so I think what you have been through was worse

Being on a smaller vessel might make it feel larger /worse.

Our working wind instruments were all hand held and I was not going out on deck to get a reading :shock:

Do not think so I think what you have been through was worse

Being on a smaller vessel might make it feel larger /worse.

Our working wind instruments were all hand held and I was not going out on deck to get a reading :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now it's Typhoon Vicente.. We got thrown out of the harbour last night (In Chewan just inland from Hong Kong) along with all other ships in the area as a Typhoon was coming and the harbour is not safe in a typhoon. Well we spent a dodgy old afternoon and a rocky night in the bay just outside Hong Kong with hundreds of other ships riding out the Typhoon. (Typhoon Vicente). Didn't get much sleep. The bridge recorded winds of over 100 knots.. Pretty breezy..

Never seen so many big ships all milling around in a limited area. Some of them really don't have much manoevrebility.. The Captain got so worried at one stage with close calls that he assembled all crew and off watch personnel on the back deck. The off shift guys who were all asleep were not impressed. No information from the bridge, just standing there in the pissing rain trying to stay out of the wind.. I would hate to be on here in a real emergency...

I did some reading on line about Typhoons in the Hong Kong area and they have lost a lot of ships around here in Typhoons.. I can see why! It's one thing having a 40ft Beneteau dragging down on you, it's quite another when it's a fully loaded container ship..

From Stuff:

The strongest typhoon to hit Hong Kong in 13 years swirled into southern China as a tropical storm Tuesday, still potent enough for mainland authorities to order the evacuation of tens of thousands of people and warn residents of possible flooding.

Vincente departed Hong Kong midmorning, after leaving more than 100 residents injured and paralysing business in one of the world’s leading financial centers. By early afternoon, Hong Kong airport was operating near normal, and the Hong Kong Stock exchange had resumed trading.

On the mainland, Chinese state media said that even in its weakened condition Vincente could still dump 300mm of rain in Guangxi province, after it passes through Guangdong, adjacent to Hong Kong.

They said that authorities had evacuated more than 42,000 people in the Guangdong city of Maoming, and were preparing to cope with possible "flash floods, mudslides, landslides and other disasters".

Vincente made landfall near Hong Kong at 4am on Monday (local time), after the Hong Kong Observatory issued its No. 10 hurricane signal — the highest — for the first time since 1999.

By early Tuesday, wind speeds that had reached around 140kmh moderated to 59kmh, and the observatory lowered its signal, though still warning the territory’s residents of strong gales.

The Hong Kong government said that 118 people had been injured during the night, including 52 admitted to hospitals. Flying debris struck several people in the central business district and subway stations around the territory were converted into temporary shelters to accommodate dozens of stranded passengers.

At daybreak, the normally bustling Central district resembled a ghost town, with the stock market and major banks closed and businesses shuttered.

Dozens of flights at Hong Kong airport were cancelled or delayed, and ferry services linking Hong Kong island with Kowloon, the New Territories and outlying islands were suspended.

Throughout the morning, cleanup crews struggled to remove fallen trees and branches from major roadways. Some flooding was reported in the New Territories.

Archived