Genset for cruising

I am looking at installing one of the small diesel gensets on my Bavaria 44 for going offshore and cruising the Pacific.

Yes I am happy with the offshore capabilities of the AWB :thumbup:

Non sailing type friends and young family will be on board at various times and I think it will be the most efficient solution to alternative power generation.

No need for vast amounts of solar panels ,stainless arches and wind generators cluttering up the boat.

Also have the added advantage of 230v for water heating without having to run the main engine.

Has anyone had experience with any of the following available in NZ

Mace

Fischer Panda

Lombardini

Paguro

These brands all make single cylinder lightweight (60kg-100kg)units rated at 2.5kva to 3.5kva

They all run at 3000rpm and are promoted as "low noise".

I am under no illusions as to the longevity of an engine running at 3000rpm.

Like Lombardini too

Fisher Panda not bad... my fav would have to be Northern Lights

Critical when installing on a 44 footer is access.... to filter, injectors,belts and fuel lift pump- the better ones have most of that on one side of the motor..... and remember to put a drain plug and hose to an oil lift pump on the sump before installing and future oil changes will be a dream. :thumbup:

Like most on this site If I had a dollar for every time I cursed an installation that could barely be serviced without becoming a Houdini like contortionist I'd be a very rich man :lol:

Why such an elaborate genny system. Why knot a simple stand alone one like the Yammy or Honda or whatever Inverter genny thingies that are way more easily available and shite load more affordable these days. These sort of things http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/generators-power-supply/petrol/auction-490403644.htm

Simple and portable i.e. can take it ashore to power the... ah... err.... ummm..... electric beach sweeper??? No plumbing/water cooling and so on plus a hell of a lot lighter.

Its a good idea KM but. I have a 2 stroke 1Kw gen-set its great but a little noisy. Now more of a back up if i have no wind for the wind-gen.

What would be cool is to modify it to sit on the out board bracket with noise suppression cover then you could pull it out of the locker when you need it.

We're adding more solar to the cat. This should give us 160ah / day in summer and about 120ah / day in winter. I reckon our useage is about 130ah / day excluding significant use (ie 20+ hours a day on a passage) of the yet to be fitted autopilot. Plan was to tow a water generator to power the autopilot offshore.

I am looking at one of the Honda / Yammy 2000w jobs as a backup. Still a little noisy to run all day, guess that is where the diesel ones come into their own being a permanent fixture.

If you can fit it (and on a multi that is a bit easier) solar has to be the way to go - no fuel, no noise, no moving parts. Look at other options just as a back up if solar doesn't quite do the trick.

I do have a Honda EU20iu (2kva) which has been great ,but not happy with having lots of petrol on board when off shore.

Also the unit needs to run in the cockpit in the open air so not convenient if needed on a passage.

These look like a really convenient solution.... http://www.efoy-comfort.com/

I believe they are about $7000 and the 10 litre fuel packs are around $90 each. Enough for about 900 amps at 12 volts.

So a lot lighter than the equivalent batteries.

Safe.

Quiet.

May well be very reliable technology needing no maintenance.

On the negative side...

Is fuel available where you plan to go?

Expensive fuel packs.

Storage space taken by fuel packs.

So dosn't solve all problems but does solve the problem of having enough power aboard. Personally i don't like the look or the perceived safety of yachts with solar panels and wind generators. I reckon they look like missiles ready to be launched in a good storm.

We need a suitcase sized nuclear reactor!

I love the idea BBay, but $90 for 900amps charging is pretty awful. Shame the fuel is so expensive.

At 130 amps a day useage, I would go through $90 a week if it were my only charging option. Prob ok if you only want it for occassion charging, but then a $7,000 unit is an expensive bit of kit for occassional use!

Solar panels on our cats cabin top are out of sight out of mind.

I am looking at installing one of the small diesel gensets on my Bavaria 44 for going offshore and cruising the Pacific.

Yes I am happy with the offshore capabilities of the AWB :thumbup:

Non sailing type friends and young family will be on board at various times and I think it will be the most efficient solution to alternative power generation.

No need for vast amounts of solar panels ,stainless arches and wind generators cluttering up the boat.

Also have the added advantage of 230v for water heating without having to run the main engine.

Has anyone had experience with any of the following available in NZ

Mace

Fischer Panda

Lombardini

Paguro

These brands all make single cylinder lightweight (60kg-100kg)units rated at 2.5kva to 3.5kva

They all run at 3000rpm and are promoted as "low noise".

I am under no illusions as to the longevity of an engine running at 3000rpm.

potable water and refrigeration will be the biggest of your power concerns with newcomers kids etc (along with chewing everthing first BEFORE it goes into the big white telephone). Smaller portable petrol ones make most sense under 50' if for no other reason than access to it as well as access to other bits and pieces where it'll go, did see a really neat setup with a 1kVA honda that sat outboard over the stern in an open sort of box that doubled as an outboard motor mount and as the guy said " the wind surpriningly blows a lot of the noise away back there" ... bloody cheap to run and service and lives in a locker when not in use

We thought about fitting a diesel genset belowdecks, but our biggest challenge was finding a suitable space to put it. Boats tend to utilise space fairly efficiently and unless the design accounts for a genset that's never been fitted, its not easy to find a suitable place to mount and plumb in a generator so that it will also be accessible for servicing.

Decided to eschew the genset in favour of 2 alternators, wind generator, solar panels and a small petrol portable generator.

I have had really bad experience with a Fischer Panda AGT4000.You should search the net for Panda problems before you buy one of those.The reason most serious cruising boats are cluttered with solar panels and wind generators is because they are,in fact,a lot less hassle and a lot less expensive.

Dont forget to check out the latest water generators.

Archived