ETNZ AC72 Sailing

Dunno if this has been asked, but is anyone offering trips out on the harbour to follow ETNZ?

I'd be keen to go out and watch and happy to pay my way!

SHANE

Id be keen on that if anyone else had something that could keep up, of course paying my share

We have a fizz nasty, but I dont think it would keep up...

Can't post photos with iPad grrr :evil:

image%20(36).png

From my iPad :wink:

Please do share how?

Although looking at the txt of your post you just put a at each end. Is that correct?

Dunno if this has been asked, but is anyone offering trips out on the harbour to follow ETNZ?

SHANE

Id be keen on that if anyone else had something that could keep up, of course paying my share

I think we would be better off hiring a pane or chopper. I'm also keen. How many can a chopper hold?

Looks like that rig needs to come back a wee bit. Also, the wing looks a little small (area wise)

I think the next boat will have these mods :thumbup:

Can't post photos with iPad grrr :evil:

image%20(36).png

From my iPad :wink:

Please do share how?

Although looking at the txt of your post you just put a at each end. Is that correct?

Yup, use the img button that comes up above the reply box and paste the link between the "img"s the button inserts.

SHANE

I think we would be better off hiring a pane or chopper. I'm also keen. How many can a chopper hold?

Get a group with Heletranz, meet at Albany. Kinda pricey tho

heletranz.co.nz

Looks like ETNZ are aware of all the rumour and speculation going about..

Maybe Hoops should get a crew.org login?

From ETNZ Facebook:

A week of Focus and Speculation.

The week started with the sailing team arriving back into the base a little dejected with their result in the AC45 in San Francisco.

With no time for them to dwell on what happened there, the shore crew had the AC72 prepped, primed and poised like a coiled spring ready to be sprung.

Another good day on the water, and soon enough the frowns had all turned upside down for everyone on and off the big cat.

If anything, it was a positive refocus on what this America’s Cup is about after all.

As with all AC72 days sailing, it was a long, hard and busy day on the water- but not half as busy as it was online with rumour, intrigue, speculation and question.

It seems the off the water side of the America’s Cup is still as it always has been for the fans and followers.

In the mean time at ETNZ HQ: nothing too extraordinary- just more focus and more hard work in preparation for yet another big week which will remarkably end as exactly one year until the first race of the 34th America’s Cup.

So I am guessing by the shape of team nzs foils they are foiling on a v shape, thus reducing the load on the joint and making it more stable? Same as hydro p.

Interesting to see orical using straight L foils and busting the thing clean off on the first attempt :crazy:

She seems to sit quite level and stable at speed. All very exciting :thumbup:

I haven't been watching closely so just to confirm, are we saying 100% for sure these AC72s are fully foiling? And these pics are genuine? Have we seen any videos yet? Maybe I've just missed them. It just seems a very fast progression from the first tentative sail only about a month ago to this?

Where have you been living AC. Yes the boats are fully foiling on one board and one rudder. And they have been fully foiling the sl33 test boats for quit sometime

So I am guessing by the shape of team nzs foils they are foiling on a v shape, thus reducing the load on the joint and making it more stable? Same as hydro p.

Interesting to see orical using straight L foils and busting the thing clean off on the first attempt :crazy:

She seems to sit quite level and stable at speed. All very exciting :thumbup:

I think the foil goes from horizontal in the "up mode" to a v configuration when down, judging by the curved board?... or is it photo shopped in the latest photo,s :wink: on the ...

http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Americas- ... ges/101664

Where have you been living AC. Yes the boats are fully foiling on one board and one rudder. And they have been fully foiling the sl33 test boats for quit sometime

Busy with work and stuff.

Righto, so they are foiling. So what speeds as we seeing and how much faster do they go when foiling than hull down?

They will be able to sit up to 40 knots when foiling. The main advantage will be that they are able to point much lower going down wind. A huge advantage on a narrow course :thumbup:

How do the foils help with sailing lower?

I'd have thought that was an apparent wind issue which was the same whether you are making progress with the hulls on the water or 1m higher.

Obviously, I don't fully understand high-speed multihulls!

Archived