Ainsle collision, fair but rude?

DrWatson

Don't know if this has been discussed here, but the video makes Ainsle look ungentlemanly but perhaps that's just an old fashioned notion? He not only forces the penalty but stands on until the point where collsion is unavoidable. He could have got the penalty by tacking away, no?

looks like he could have avoided the collision by simply straightening up. Would still have got the penalty?

Guess it wasn't his boat.

had rights, should have kept clear i think. personally i think he is a bit too cocky. it was him who jumped off his boat, onto a camera boat and threw a wobbly at the driver.

That's what I felt.

he had rights and should stand on to allow the other boat to avoid, and if he takes evasive action then he has to evade and not seek to collide. Not prudent seamanship and he intentionally endangered vessel and crew.

but it's match racing... apparently

Looks like a bit of a dick move to me

I guess he does whatever it takes to win. If he can live with himself then good on him.

Wonder if he will pull that move in an AC 45? It would be funny if he did and then cartwheeled into the other boat :lol:

That's just match racing,

You are allowed to set up an incident by bearing away up to 90 degrees from TWA, this helps by giving you room to come up and sail over him if he lee bow's you.

Richard started luffing the moment Ainslie altered course to avoid the collision, Richard caused the collision, Richard got penalised. Ainslie did a great match race move. He is a legend.

But ainslie didn't alter course to avoid a collision, to do that he should go to stb... He went looking for the collision, but IMHO carried it too far to the point of collision. Infact I would counter that Richard moved first, and then Ainslie, worried he wouldn't get the penalty headed for the collision and gave Richard nowhere to go. Rishard couldn't tack away and anymore bearing down would still have left him broadside. Poor form and poor seamanship.

This is match racing. All about tactics. Richard should have tacked or borne away more aggresively.

Seamanship is at the bottom of the list....

Agree. It's fun to watch and also fun to do in model yachts (no expenseive damage). But wouldn't have the nerve to do it in a big boat.

That looked like a pretty standard and legit move from Ainslie to me. Been done thousands of times, he certainly pushed it hard but was within his rights.

I have been in the exact same situation from both ends plenty of times.

He held his course within 2 boat lengths as he is required to do. He didn’t cause the crash, Richard did when he put the bow up again into Ainslies transom.

I would say that when Richard knew that he had been out manovered and was going to get a penalty he decided his best chance was to-

A- Put the bow up to minimise loss and have a chance to get his penalty back on Ainslie with his STB rights on the next cross.

B- Go for the crash and hope they deemed that Ainslie had not given him room to keep clear.

At that level of match racing the starboard boat will go for that move most of the time if its a close cross.

The umpires rules Richard was at fault, not Ainslie so I think it’s unfair that you guys are bagging him. He is a master and racing our sport at the highest level.

That looked like a pretty standard and legit move from Ainslie to me. Been done thousands of times, he certainly pushed it hard but was within his rights.

I have been in the exact same situation from both ends plenty of times.

He held his course within 2 boat lengths as he is required to do. He didn’t cause the crash, Richard did when he put the bow up again into Ainslies transom.

I would say that when Richard knew that he had been out manovered and was going to get a penalty he decided his best chance was to-

A- Put the bow up to minimise loss and have a chance to get his penalty back on Ainslie with his STB rights on the next cross.

B- Go for the crash and hope they deemed that Ainslie had not given him room to keep clear.

At that level of match racing the starboard boat will go for that move most of the time if its a close cross.

The umpires rules Richard was at fault, not Ainslie so I think it’s unfair that you guys are bagging him. He is a master and racing our sport at the highest level.

Fair 'nuf.

I still thought you were supposed to turn to stb to avoid a collision...

I'm not bagging him. I think he's great too. But then he's British and so I am, so I'm proudly biaised!

Oh man. The one morning this week that I decide to take a sleep in this week and I miss out on one of the best conversations. Booboo has summed it up perfectly and Ainsle had all of the rights and did everything perfectly :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Archived