pourable silicon

smitty

I need to get hold of some pourable silicon to form a seal inside the mast to stop rainwater coming into the cabin. Does anyone know where you can buy it? None of the main marine retailers seem to have it.

Cheers.

You can use the same product. There are several others as well. Just don't use silicon. It needs to be a 2 component urathane product. There is also a product available from Electrical Wholesalers that is used to pour in and seal cables which is virtually the same kind of product. I don't know how it compares price wise though.

Wouldn't sealing it just encourage water to sit in the mast and cause corrosion?

The idea is to seal it at the height of the lowest halyard exit so that the water runs out of the mast at that point.

We use 734 Flowable Sealant an RTV Sealant made by Dow Corning.

This is NOT a suitable application for Spartite it is far too expensive for this use (and too hard).

We put a Foam Dam in the mast to seal the mast internally and it usually has a pipe (or two) through it for Wires or Ropes to go through.

The Flowable is then added and seals the mast, you need a drain hole immediately above the mast dam to allow drainage.

If you have trouble obtaining we can supply it to you from work.

Its $57.40 per 300 ml tube (plus GST)

Dont use Epoxy... When you need to get it out to run wiring or anything or replace conduits you will regret it.

You want to use the balloon trick and the Dow Corning stuff. - Smitty, Rich should have some? I got mine off him? Think he gets it from AES in Westhaven from memory?

Thats how Mercenary's is done and ive never had a drip down the mast the whole time i have owned it. Same mast section as your smitty so it will be sweet!

Thanks for all the info. Yeah I'm going to seal at the bottom halyard exit so that the water runs out there. Sat inside the boat during the heavy rain on Sunday afternoon and watched the water pour out of the bottom of the mast. A bucket & a half in two hours!

There also seems to be water getting through some holes or cracks in the trough of the mast collar (the bit between the collar & where the blocks attach, not between the mast & collar which is well sealed). I was thinking of using the same stuff in here, or would spartite be better?

Cheers

Archived