Just out of curiosity

Atom Ant

OK here is a hypothetical question. Just the musings of an erstwhile non sailing yottie (not so) slowly going insane due to sailing injuries preventing sailing.

I've had conversations about this theoretical situation with people who know alot more about the subject than me, and I've had differing opinions, so read on, let me know your thoughts, I'm curious.

You're sailing towards the finish line, the wind is fresh, flat run, you're absolutely neck and neck with another boat, there is abolutely nothing in it. As you approach the line you are pondering your options, sailing faster is unlikely as you are at max hull speed and there isn't enough wind or swell to help you break out and surf across the line triumphant.

You decide that as you aproach the line with just a few metres to go you are going to blow your spinnaker halyard, the top of the kite will fly forward and you will win by perhaps 2 or 3 metres. If you hit the jammer at the right time you will arrest the kites fall towards the water and not run over it. Risky strategy but worth it to win.

My question is: Is this allowed under the rules?

...and if the two boats are that close, the guys on the other boat will be watching for anything like that and will go nuts to the finish boat. As you would in the same position; been there and done it myself.

It's your fantasy AA, why aren't you so far in front that the crew are bagging the headsail, lighting up the stereo and opening beers as you cross the line? Been there too and it felt great. 8)

What about when you approach the finish line at say, Westhaven, and a a 35 knot gust hits you, the brace hand %$#@'s loses it and the whole shebang ends up flying in front by 2 or 3 boatlengths like a giant flag just missing the rigs of the other 3 boats around and one of those big inconvenient post things with a bridge on top accelerates towards you. Hypothetically speakin.

Would it be better to have beer or stick with the rum and coke?

No, all equipment has to be in the normal sailing position. You may get away with a small ease of the halyard if you can show you often sail that way.

Unless you where flying a blooper. :wink:

You will be recorded as finishing when the first piece of the boats equipment in its normal position crosses the line - if your kite is flying ahead of its normal position then this would be discounted totally and the next piece of equipment would likely be the end of the pole or the pulpit.

I guess it would be up to you to argue that you normally fly the kite in that manner.

No, all equipment has to be in the normal sailing position. You may get away with a small ease of the halyard if you can show you often sail that way.

Unless you where flying a blooper. :wink:

Showing your age John............

Are you not hypertheticaly assuming the race committee would look at anything but the bow of your boat.

Most do.

It would be easier to have a extendable prod and pull that out :crazy:

Olympics Womens Match Racing semi-final. Aussies on near side won as Finland boat on the far side had a collapsed spinnaker, despite the hull being marginally in front.Match Race Finish AUSvFIN.jpg

I feel that it should be as soon as the bow of the boat itself crosses the finish, None of his easing the kite halyard.. :crazy:

What if a boat went out with say a 3m prod? two boats going the same speed, in the same wind,both boats neck and neck, but the one with the 3m prod wins... Wouldn't you be a bit ticked that they won just because they had a prod and not you?

its how its done in dinghy racing.. not to sure about 12's etc though

Just my two cents..

Same rules for dinghy sailing, if you have a kite it would be taken into account if in normal position, downwind with a prod out it would be off the prod. A fixed prod is taken to be just part of the hull.

If the kite halyard is eased then the kite is not taken into account - it is not in the normal position.

As for a boat with a 3m prod v one without - off the start line the prod needed to be behind the line & so the boat without the prod was 3m forward & was blanketing the prod boat. They must have sailed quite well to be even on the finish.

Indeed I believe that if you started the race going upwind with your prod retracted then you must finish with it retracted if it was an upwind finish, but if it is a downwind finish and it is usual for your prod to be out then it is the first part of your boat and of course if your gennaker was up and the halyard not eased then the first part of the boat across the line is where it is measured from. Yes?

Archived