Replacings Halyards???(stupid Question)

I need to replace my two forward Halyards and was wondering whats the best way to do it without going up the mast ,?

I figure you need to join the old one to the new one and then pull it through but just wondering whats the best way to join them in a knotless type of knot ,my worst nitemare is it jamming in the pulley at the top of the mast then fatboy having to go up" THERE".

Or do you run a smaller line through then join that to your new rope?

Good news, you are staying on the deck. :thumbup:

Generally the smaller line ("mouse") usually of light nylon, is the go and helps to deal with the issue of the clips on the old and new halyards, which mean you can only go in and out in one direction.

The most fail-safe method used by riggers is a loop in the non-clip end formed out of whipping twine. At the other end of the spectrum, the quick 'n' dirty method is to lay the mouse line (light nylon) alongside the new halyard for a couple of feet and just wrap them both in heaps of insulation tape.

The trick is to use the tape to even out any lumps and if you should hit a snag at any stage pulling it through (most often as it reaches the sheave), do not give it an almighty jerk but back off 18 inches or so and try again gently (pull from a different angle, give it a twist if you can etc). This is going against the grain for males.

I am generally a bit conservative and use either a couple of whipping twine stitches through both mouse line and new halyard and then wrap with tape, or whipping twine clove hitches, again under tape.

Don't rush it and you will be fine.

Of course in the history of sailing plenty of people have done it out of necessity without any of the above conveniences and while wanting to chunder from the top of the rig while the boat bounces around. Spare a thought for them as you do it in the civilised way with a takeaway coffee in your hand and a smile on your face.

I tend to use a bit of wire to 'staple' the two together and then tape... galv clothesline wire or a bit of rigging wire. That way you can have a flush butt joint in equal line if it works with the splices/ fittings. Otherwise its a messenger line like the opaque one says, but I still wire it.

If you have a hot knife with you, simply melt the two ends together and make sure the join is smooth with a couple of wet fingers. Darn near impossible to pull apart, very small join so it will run over and through anything the line is already going through.

you all seem overkill. short length of skinny string. poke through end of rope, tie bowline, poke through end of other rope, tie bowline. pull through.

been there, done that with the whole waving around up a mast at sea 500 miles from land. tape mouse along side was used

easiest way is to have loops in the ends of the halyards. makes it easier to get through the clutches too.

also is it like halyard for like halyard? i.e if it was a wire to rope halyard and your going for a rope halyard there may be some sharp bits up 'THERE' that need a look at

Cheers for all the Replys some awesome hints there ,I,m off down the boat on sunday to have a go.,bit of luck I wo,nt be asking if anyone knows a good rigger on this thread.

The most sensible way to do this job is to properly stitch a messenger (mouse) to the end of the old halyard and pull it through.

3 or 4 mm nylon is good for the mouse.

The big advantage of doing this is you can measure the existing halyards exactly once they are out of the mast.

When you make your new halyard you can tuck the end over to form a nice loop making it much easier if you have to do this job again.

Archived