Once again the poor choices made by PONSONBY CRUISING CLUB!

Scubash

Just chipping in on this, as I spent 2 years volunteering for the PCC Sailing Committee a few years back, specifically to rejuvenate the women's sailing.

Sailing clubs in NZ are mostly volunteer run, and it's a pretty thankless job at that.

Case in point:

No Rum! We get Lipgloss as prizes instead!

Yeah that always gets me going... I can appreciate that series' need sponsors, and we should be thankful for their sponsorship. I'm not trying to bash supporters of our sport. But hey, girls like rum too. In fact, female sailors, surprisingly enough, like most of the stuff that male sailors do. So how about some boat gear and rum for the ladies, if it's not too much to ask... :wink:

Um, good luck with convincing sponsors (i.e. businesses who are doing their best to survive a recession) to essentially give away bottles of rum and sailing gear to an audience of a couple of dozen people.

If you find lip gloss degrading, then instead of complaining about prizes here, how about using your penmanship to write a commercially-viable sponsorship proposal to get "better" prizes? Someone worked their butt off to organise prizes for such a small fleet of boats, and I take my hat off to them!

This summer is the first in many years that I haven't done the ladies series on FX. Main reason being that I got totally frustrated with the race results never being available afterwards (neither online nor on the club notice boards). And why pay money to race when you don't even get the results? There's a paid admin person in the club, so getting results up in a timely way shouldn't be too difficult.

Anyway, I voted with my feet and am now doing 100% of my racing with a club whose courses I enjoy, and who have really excellent race management. Okay, so there's no ladies series, but that didn't stop FX from racing with an all-girl crew last week. :D

Just chipping in on this....but that didn't stop FX from racing with an all-girl crew last week. :D

Well put. :thumbup:

Indeed - it is what you make of it,like most things in life

If you find lip gloss degrading, then instead of complaining about prizes here, how about using your penmanship to write a commercially-viable sponsorship proposal to get "better" prizes? Someone worked their butt off to organise prizes for such a small fleet of boats, and I take my hat off to them!

Or come to Opua CC where now have TWO sponsors for the ladies series, and I've also been approached by several more would-be sponsors who would love to sponsor our series of a few dozen people (at most!). Oh yeah, and we give away choccies to the girls. And everyone loves choccies. :D :thumbup:

Anyway, as I said it wasn't my intention to 'bash' anyone who supports sailing in any form - I appreciate sponsors and club volunteers (of which I am also one) give away a lot in terms of both time and money, so I hope I didn't cause any offense. I just can't help but be a little disappointed sometimes when prizes for the girls are more related to 'being girls' than 'being sailors'. I can't speak for anyone else, but it would definitely make me more keen to get out and race in the ladies series if I was really into the prizes offered. Some people say racing's not about the prizes. I take my hat off to THEM. Personally, I'm all about the free stuff. 'specially when it's rum. Or chocolate. :wink:

Hey BB - can I enter - I loooove chocolate. (And I have a boat in OPua :D )

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. youll scare everyone away being in drag......again :sick: :sick: :sick: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Food from heaven.

Chili and Chocolate are the match made in heaven. In a cake, chocolate and chilli give it a boost and just that \'Spark\'.

Ingredients

CAKE:

250g Butter/Margarine

300g Light Muscovado/Caster Sugar

100g Plain Flour

100g Self-Raising Flour

3-4 Eggs

300g Dark Chocolate

1-3 Red Chillies (depends on your preference)

OR

1-3 tbsp Chili Paste/ Oil

ICING:

200g Dark Chocolate

200ml Double Cream

Method

1. Heat an oven to 160°C/Gas 3 (Take 20°C if a fan oven)

2. Grease with butter a 20cm (approx) cak tin. (use springform if preferred)

3. Using an electric/classic whisk, add the butter/margarine to a mixing bowl together with the sugar. Whisk till light and fluffy.

4. Beat in the eggs one at a time, take care not to let the mixture seperate. If it does seperate, add a bit of flour.

5. Next you need to melt the chocolate, this can be done using one of the three following ways:

a) Break the chocolate into as small pieces as possible and place in a small bowl. Boil a small pan of water, then place the bowl of chocolate within. Do not let the water overflow into the chocolate, and stir until completely melted.

B) Put the broken chocolate into a shallow ovenproof dish and heat in an oven at 110°C/Gas 1 till completely melted.

c) Only use this method if necessary. Place the broken Chocolate in a microwaveable dish and microwave on full heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring often to let it heat thoroughly.

In case the chocolate overheats and starts to lump, adding a little milk, oil or butter will help restore it. Allow to cool.

6. Once cool, add the chocolate to the mixture and mix in.

7. Add the remaining flour to the mixture and stir till smooth.

8. If you are using fresh chilli/es finely chop them, and either add now or crush/blend them to a paste.

9. If using ready made chili paste or oil, add it to the mixture now, or the paste you mad yourself. Add slowly, checking it does not too badly ovepower the mixture. Stir till smooth.

10. Pour the cake mixture into the greased cake tin.

11. Bake for just under 1 ½ hours or till fully cooked. Check by poking a knife or stick in, and if clean it is cooked. Do not let it burn, so check occasionaly. It should be risen and have a slight crust.

12. Take out the cake, and let it cool for 10 minutes, before taking out of the tin. Then leave to cool for another 10 minutes on a wire rack.

13. The cake could be eaten now, or if you want to ice it, proceed with the instructions, or choose your own icing choice.

14. To make Chocolate cream, simply:

Melt the chocolate as before, and mix together with the cream, and then cool until thickened. Cut the cake in half, ice, then put back together and ice all over.

I'm a bit late for this thread but anyway.

I'm pretty sure the PCC ladies race was instigated as a lightweight introduction for women to go racing. It's all about fun and not scaring anyone off. Something that lends confidence to grow to love the sporting side of sailing. It's not about a bunch of race hardened women sailors turning up in $2000 worth of wet weather gear to send it in 30 knots.

If you want to race hard then front up in regular fleets, you got the vote some years ago.

And yeah, spend a few years in a club knocking on doors for prizes, sitting up from 8:30 am till 5am finishing yachts in a race you'd rather be sailing etc etc in before you slag off OOD's

Sundreamer that is some post!

Nowhere was there any talk of 30 kts, in fact the racing was originally called off because there was a lack of wind and then it filled into 10-12 kts as forecast.

I don't see any reference to race hardened or the need for $2,000 wet weather gear

I can imagine the tantrum from some of the posters in this thread if the squaddy cancelled racing in similar circumstance.

And this whole idea that you can't crticize the committee or the race officer unless you are prepared to take a role is rubbish, volunteers take on a task and have responsibilities too and are not above criticism, if they are any good and are really wired into to their role they will wlecome it and make any changes of neccesary, otherwise you have the situation where people are afraid to say anything and simply vote with their feet and leave.

I have spent many thousands of hours on yacht club committees and rugby coaching, still do, but I never served on the swimming club, the ice hockey club etc because I figured I was doing my bit elsewhere, other people simply don't have the time to commit

Sport is all about the competitor if you lose site of that you will lose

I also get tired of the women card thing and the sulk about the prizes but these guys made a mighty effort to get ready to race and were let down by the club, most yachties I know would be pissed about that and as was said if these cancellations keep happening then crews are not gonna turn up....maybe that is the PCC agenda given the trouble they go to for a very small fleet

Sundreamer that is some post!

Nowhere was there any talk of 30 kts, in fact the racing was originally called off because there was a lack of wind and then it filled into 10-12 kts as forecast.

I don't see any reference to race hardened or the need for $2,000 wet weather gear

I can imagine the tantrum from some of the posters in this thread if the squaddy cancelled racing in similar circumstance.

And this whole idea that you can't crticize the committee or the race officer unless you are prepared to take a role is rubbish, volunteers take on a task and have responsibilities too and are not above criticism, if they are any good and are really wired into to their role they will wlecome it and make any changes of neccesary, otherwise you have the situation where people are afraid to say anything and simply vote with their feet and leave.

I have spent many thousands of hours on yacht club committees and rugby coaching, still do, but I never served on the swimming club, the ice hockey club etc because I figured I was doing my bit elsewhere, other people simply don't have the time to commit

Sport is all about the competitor if you lose site of that you will lose

I also get tired of the women card thing and the sulk about the prizes but these guys made a mighty effort to get ready to race and were let down by the club, most yachties I know would be pissed about that and as was said if these cancellations keep happening then crews are not gonna turn up....maybe that is the PCC agenda given the trouble they go to for a very small fleet

:clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you Marsh for getting my point. I honestly do not like to throw the womens card, but I sail almost everyday and only 1 day a week is a woman's night, so I do actually see the difference in treatment. (BTW - I also get just as upset on any other night if a cancelation/shortened course has occurred - just women's series is more often than others) For example tonights race, if had been a women's night, I am 99.9% sure it would have been cancelled, if not shortened. As per prizes come, yes prizes are nice, but are they the most important?...NOPE! It's what they represent and as BB spelled out perfectly... " I just can't help but be a little disappointed sometimes when prizes for the girls are more related to 'being girls' than 'being sailors'. " (Will admit sometimes hard to express and to find the right words for what one really feels or thinks - so apologies if I come across the wrong way.) This is the point...hey give chocolate, give a bottle of rum or wine or even better a VOUCHER FOR THE CLUB (Club's can be sponsor's too! Actually that would keep more people in the club and wanting to go back for prize giving, especially when needing to use a voucher - 1 voucher per boat will bring up an entire boat, but the voucher is not enough to cover the tab for an entire crew, hence generating more money WIN-WIN! :thumbup: )

It's a giant circle...we all have our individual parts. Boat owners need Crew, Crew need a Boat, Boat & Crew need a Club, and the Club needs a Race Committee and Boat for it all to come together. We all put in our time and devotion for our individual parts. If someone is not committed to which ever role they choose to play a part in, then one should not do it. After all, it is all volunteer and an individual choice to do which ever part you choose. I as a crew member do not just go out sailing and have a laugh with some rum, I also put in my part by diving to clean hulls and to help out whenever needed in any way I can (Each boat having a slightly different contribution.) I also take time off work to race and to be committed to my team and honestly loose out on making money that I actually need - not complaining just stating my commitment to my role - as I said, my choice. (I will admit that skippers that do not have the same commitment, I ditch as I expect to have a reciprocal relationship - Same should go with the relationship between Boat team's and The Club/ Race Committee.) I do what I do for my passion of sailing, and believe that whatever role one chooses they should do it out of their passions as well, if not then why do it? :think:

I personally would love to take part on the race committee side and to broaden my knowledge as well as try to get more people involved in the various races. Might have to wait until winter as I am full up having committed to 6 different boats for the summer plus a full time job. Come winter though and with more understanding of sailing, I can join a committee to learn and understand what it takes to do their job. :wink:

Buenas noches! :wave:

Archived