Doesn't look I'll be doing much sailing in Mumbai

Fogg

Yuk! It's a wonder you don't catch something just looking at it. Makes you want to live in a bubble.

You know, if we wanted to clean up 90% of the plastic polution in our Oceans, it would be a case a removing 100% of plastic from the India, China and the rest of Asia. The rivers and surrounding Sea's of that area is darn near 50/50 water and plastic rubbish.

Is that sufficient grounds to terminate your contract AC? :lol:

I would bet you will latch on to some form of sailing up there eventually - can't quite believe there is anywhere in the world where no-one wants to.

We got a line around a prop , right in the middle od that mooring field (OK it was my fault). I had to get in the water to free it. At the depth of the prop visibility was nil, as in pitch black middle of the night nil. Plus about 3kn current. I felt very unhappy down there, worse when some unidentified item bumped into me (crew said it was a dead goat). Very happy to get out of the water , then showered and brushed my teeth for the rest of the day.

We did meet some really nice people though.

We did meet some really nice people though.

Hopefully not bumping past you in the water. And yeah it would be dark for me too, cause IO would have my eyes shut tight.

Ewwwwwe, before jumping in that soup, I would have bunged up every orrifice in my body and tied a knot in something else for the fear some bug never before heard of by medical science may take up residence. Afterward, I would be bathing in pure Chlorine I reckon.

I lived in Taiwan as a kid in the 80s. Some of the beaches were absolutely beautiful but there were some weird things washing up after a storm (dead dogs, pigs and turtles were some of the things we found).

Plus they would rake the beaches every night and yell at you if you walked on them. And you were only allowed to swim in a small sectioned off area about the size of a swimming pool on a beach about the size of Takapuna Beach. And the locals swam in their clothes.

Apparently the beaches were privately owned and the restrictions were because of insurance but being Kiwis we swam in togs, where we wanted to, and walked over their carefully raked sand.

Apparently the beaches were privately owned and the restrictions were because of insurance but being Kiwis we swam in togs, where we wanted to, and walked over their carefully raked sand.

Excellent!

The ocean is so dirty here that even the locals don't swim in it. Which is saying something. Its so hot they don't even go onto the beaches during the day but wait til night time when it cools down to the low 30s. Like last night. Which didn't feel particularly cool to me (note - we need a new emoticon depicting sweating/melting face) :shock:

AC---if you have time go down to where the fishing boats come in ---its an experience and if you think the water is dirty by the Gateway this will leave you stunned and may put you off sqiud (the mumbai kind ) and prawns !!

One of my contacts went sailing a couple of weekends ago ,in Mumbai , so l will try and track down who and where --if you,re still game !!

Andrew

Cheers Andrew, def happy to make a sailing contact, jsut don't know how practical it will turn out to be. On the up side, I'll appreciate AC and the Haruaki Gulf even more when I get back!

Already has suscpisions about the local fish - people say they are deep water fish but I reckon you'd need to go a loooong way out to find clean water and I don't imagine these little boats do that. So yeah, having doubts about seafood.

Which means about the only safe thing remains the beer. Always a safe bet. Which reminds me of a college poster I once had "Man cannot live on beer alone." But I'll give it a damn good try I thought. And I did. :D

Which means about the only safe thing remains the beer. Always a safe bet. Which reminds me of a college poster I once had "Man cannot live on beer alone." But I'll give it a damn good try I thought. And I did. :D

I wouldn't count on it, got Bangkok Belly from a Heineken out of the mini bar at a 5 star Hotel in Thailand a while ago.

Spoke to some of the expats that worked there, they reckoned it was prob a fake!

Watch out for FAKE beer! :sick:

SHANE

Even in a bar beer is delivered to you complete with seal across the lid - with a show and open ceremony exactly like a bottle of wine in a restaurant. Same with a bottle of water to demonstrate the seal is intact.

I don't know how they do it but on a trip through the middle east we had real trouble finding any bottled water without floaty bits in it. Got pretty crook and ended up boiling the bottled water.

Having seen the documentary a year or so ago on how well the Chinese in particular can replicate the pharmaceutical manufacturers' packaging (the guy from one of the big drug companies had ordered counterfeit product over the internet and was amazed at the presentation of what he received), I would imagine that re-sealing a beer or a bottle of water would be done in a nano-second.

Watch out for FAKE beer! :sick:

SHANE

I always keep an eye open for this, I take the top off and taste, if it is ok I finish the bottle and move to the next. etc etc :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey guys. On a serious note, be really carefull swimming, or anywhere near severely polluted water. Here's a story for you:

My Dad took a trip to Thailand and went on one of those long boats in Bangkok with the big engines and long propshafts out the back. He was sitting near where the bow wave came up and got heavily splashed in his face and ear. He then got a really bad ear infection, and needed extremely strong antibiotics on his return to NZ, to clear it.

Not long after he did, his immune system went nuts and his immune system started "eating" the myalin layer around his nerves. Longest nerves first. This is an extremely rare condition called CIDP or "Chronic inflammatory Demyalating Polyneuropathy". His symptoms were that one day he had trouble walking. Then writing, then he lost all use of arms and legs (Over a period of months) while doctors struggled to cure him. After trying all sorts of drugs on him (Just give it a go and hope stuff) he finally came right and recovered (We are talking 4 years here). Then a year later, he was diagnosed with Cancer in his Liver. This was almost certainly brought on by one of the drugs used to "Treat" him and one of the possible side effects was cancer. It killed him 12 months later. He was a very fit 72 when he got sick...

Some of the stuff that is in that water is just bad news. I am no longer so cavaleer with dirty water in third world countries!

Archived