how do you get to crew on multihulls?

shaun 18

What has worked for me.

ask to go sailing/racing and bring rum, offer to help out owners when they need work done on the boat and generally keep reminding them that you want to sail. If your good and if the skippers like you then you should get opportunities to crew if not permanitly. It pays not to be flat out studying or starting a new job that wont allow you to sail if your wanting to do this :oops: :oops:

thanks for your replys

stephen c -thanks for comments, i dont know any owners of multihulls, so im hoping someone that sees this will get in contact with me, i already do rum races etc on monohulls so know about helping out and taking rum.

offender - i can swim???

hurts - dont have enough money to buy one or i would

thanks again

Poor Bugger you don't know what you are setting your self up for.

What you really need is a good H28.........

Can you Swim?

Yea, dry-suit and personal EPIRB... ! :lol:

wel what do you sail then stephen?

I used to sail on two folding tris but because of work and study I have not been able to keep these positions as I cant make it to the boat in time. I have instead started to sail a flying 15 on Sunday arvos which has been great, but its nothing like a multi in a competitive fleet.

And whoops quoted the wrong person.....its Offender that had the nice tri up untill recently.

EDIT: YAY THE EDIT IS BACK :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mostly we're racing against Winter these days. I find if I can get Bad Kitty loaded, fill the wine cellar & get Cat 1 by about the end of May most of the adverse effects of the suicide season can be averted. Tell everyone at the office that I'll be back by the end of August, then suffer some catastrophic gear failure while in a remote location (Nananu I Ra is always a favorite) and then I can somehow manage to make it back, against all odds, by about Labour Weekend.

Bring a few Bula shirts and some of those coconut bikini's and the work crew seem to overlook that I'm 2 months late again! :thumbup:

I do miss the Winter Series, but somehow not enough to actually endure Winter any more.

But that's enough about Bad Kitty, has that H28 got to the start line yet? :P

hey can anyone help me?

I am wanting to get into multihuls for racing.

i have sailing experiance on monohulls both racing and cruising,

any help would be appriciated

thanks

One of the ways I like to introduce new crews to Multis is to take them out on Rum Races.

This way they can get the hang of the boat for a few races and it quickly becomes apparent to the skipper whether or not they are going to make good crews.

Most multis sail pretty short handed and the roles on most require a pretty wide range of skills bearing in mind you often have to do the jobs of 2 or 3 on some monohulls.

I'm happy to take you out on our next Rum Race, Friday week.

That's why he needs to be able to swim - or at least float long enough to keep his head above water :wink:

You are welcome to come out on the Offender (who has retired from racing) if you are down south of the Bombays sometime. Although we don't race her, you can get the feel of a multi - not that we push the limits as far as the racing boys though! :lol:

One of the ways I like to introduce new crews to Multis is to take them out on Rum Races.

This way they can get the hang of the boat for a few races and it quickly becomes apparent to the skipper whether or not they are going to make good crews.

.....who did you have crewing last friday ? .... I am guessing they didn't make the cut ? :lol:

.....who did you have crewing last friday ? .... I am guessing they didn't make the cut ? :lol:

will see if that crew ever gets invited back... :oops:

I spoke to one of the crew members beforehand, and he said he wasn't taking his own boat out as he didn't want bad things to happen and end up having to swim home.

(speaking of - the guests had a great time out with us, and are welcome back :-) )

Archived