Tiller Pilot Chatter at end of travel

Clipper

I have been playing with an older Raytheon/Raymarine 1000 tiller pilot at home. It seems to do what it is supposed to, but as the arm reaches the end of travel in each direction, it doesn't just stop, it stutters for a few seconds, as though still trying to retract or extend past its limits. Seems like it should NOT do this.

Anyone have any experience on whether this is right, or no good, or how to fix, or anything?

Not something I'd worry about unless it happened during its normal range of operation when in use. Don't know whether there are limit switches inside or if there are preset limits in the software which restrict the turns of the screw in either direction.

But thinking about it, not something I'd try to deliberately induce, can't be doing it any good.

Will be curious to see if my newly-acquired ST2000+ does the same thing.

I had one years ago. I believe they don't have limit switches but rely on the overload to stop at the end of the travel. The chatter is the tooth belt. At new it just hummed and stopped after a while as the belt got older it chattered.

Chatter has been an ongoing issue on many trips on our boat too. Rum definitely makes it worse; seasickness is about the only thing that reduces the levels a bit. :crazy:

Same happens with mine Clipper, I think the trick is to not let it get to the end of its travel.

Have you tried calibrating it for Rudder gain? If its well calibrated it will be much smoother in its action and probably wont spend as much time at extreme 'lock' on the tiller.

Although it may just not be grunty enough or quick enough for your machine so it ends up out of phase and locked up at one or other end. Calibrating mine made it steer much better and it doesnt spin out as much and need to go full travel to either side.

If its the ST1000 then its rated for keel-boats to 3000kg but I bet it sees some decent loads on the cat.

Same happens with mine Clipper, I think the trick is to not let it get to the end of its travel.

Have you tried calibrating it for Rudder gain? If its well calibrated it will be much smoother in its action and probably wont spend as much time at extreme 'lock' on the tiller.

Although it may just not be grunty enough or quick enough for your machine so it ends up out of phase and locked up at one or other end. Calibrating mine made it steer much better and it doesnt spin out as much and need to go full travel to either side.

If its the ST1000 then its rated for keel-boats to 3000kg but I bet it sees some decent loads on the cat.

Haven't even tried it on the boat, was just turning it on the work bench in the garage!

Before I figure out how to attach it all, just wanted to be sure it wasn't a complete dud. If it works at all, and i find it useful, I imagine I'll look at upgrading to the ST2000+.

Archived