Advice on lotus 1280's the good bad & the ugly

sow1ld

Hi everyone

Our 36footer wouldn't grow so we are looking at buying a lotus1280 for our expanding family to go crusing on. We are based in Mana Wellington & intend to keep crusing the sounds & plan to head up to the islands every 2 or 3 years . We'd also like to do some 2 handed racing and a RNI. I can't seem to find much information on them so would love to hear from anyone that has sailed them cruised raced, been offshore in one, built one, pretty much anyone thats had anything to do with one or has an opinion on one it would be great to hear from you.

Rum will of course be provided by hooters girls in bikinis to all that can help us out on this one! :)

Most raced one is probably Mahia. Ex owned by Peter Kingston. Good big solid cruiser racers. Pale Rider is another of the better ones. One of the famous Tauranga yachting families just bought one so must sail well enough.

They are getting old so usual refit costs apply - motor, deck teak, rerig, etc.

In my view worth the extra over a 1220 and you'd compare it against a Bene First 45 / 44.7 depending on budget and required speed /interior volume.

Hi Hayden,

These are a great boat! Solid, Sail well, roomy, excellent cruiser. Yep they are getting older, (same as all the good kiwi boats -1220's etc) but there are some really good examples around. Considerably roomier, and a little faster than the 1220 you were considering. If you can find a good one in your price range, go for it, you won't be dissapointed. A great example of quality kiwi boats. :D

I have a friend here with one (Memphis) that we have sailed with over the last few months.

Hey all! Liking the positive reports so far. Foxy Lady is almost sold and the Farr 1220 needed too much work. The lotus seems like it could be a great cruiser racer. The one we have looked at has had lots of the expensive bits done ie a brand new Volvo saildrive rudder bearings battries and its an expoy built one.

My Cav is def not for sale. As much as Id love one of the two Ross 40's on trademe at the moment We have just brought a house and have a baby on the way so a bigger boat isnt on the cards this week!

There are some really good buys on the international market. Have a look for a Bene First 45. Good boat. I can find them from 114K Kiwi (there would be import duty on top), and take a year off to sail home from the med! :D

There are some really good buys on the international market. Have a look for a Bene First 45. Good boat. I can find them from 114K Kiwi (there would be import duty on top), and take a year off to sail home from the med! :D

Don't forget to add the GST as well - so probably allow 20% of purchase cost to go to the NZ Government in one form or another.

Hi,

I raced on Mahia for 8 years and have just purchased a 1220 .

The 1280 is a great boat , bigger cockpit (but has traveller in the middle of it ) really good interior room as Peter K only had one head/shower fitted and a good sized chart table instead (a much better option l think )--the galley is really well set up and it does have plenty of room .

A must for me would be an electric winch for the mainsail !!!!

Mahia would take us anywhere in any weather and all of us who sailed on her really enjoyed the sailing --Mahia had a 3 bladed folding kiwi prop and that was extremely efficient asnd effective .

The current owner got it at a really good price and has done some magnificient work on her turning her into a really cruising version of the 1280

One consideration --you need a 14 m berth (and the 1220 fits a 12 m ) .

I like the 1280 , and I also like the 1220 --the cockpit is the difference --the 1220 higher and a bit smaller --now l can detach the wheel at anchor the cockpit space has dramatically changed .

Good luck--l would recommend a 1280 , as well as the cheaper option ,the 1220 !!

Andrew

IT. How much Import Duty and TAX?

Not Sure what it's supposed to be, but at least the GST. However, I know of at least one boat bought in the med, reg as a NZ vessel (NZ owners) sailed home over 2 years, got charged nothing. Came in at Opua. I must say we have never even been asked when returining to NZ, and IT was built in Ausy, but is NZ registered. There is and official exclusion for duty if you have been out of NZ for 21 months and are returning.

You'd have to research it and make sure you had the funds available though...

Met a couple of Americans cruising old Bene Firsts, the Fryers designed ones, sail reasonably well, built like a tank and have decent interiors. One was a 40 he paid $45k US and the other was a 42/43 can't remember he paid 65k US. The hull shape is still IOR however.

The hull shape is still IOR however.

Can you elaborate?

I haven't seen one out but similar boats I have seen don't have a lot of form stability, and rely on the deep draft so sail at a greater heel than say a lotus, and not as quick downwind or reaching with the narrow sterns. but quite comfortable on the wind. These do seem to have decent beam however so might be quite stiff. I think some american magazine rated the 38 as the No1 budget offshore cruiser.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2483

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2047

Hi Duty Free thanks for that. Quick question when you where racing what sort of boats where you sailing against? I've heard there isnt much in boat speed between the lotus and the Farr 1220? We are performance cruisers and like something that performs well. We managed to crack 189nm out of our cav36 and plenty of 170nm+ days

Hi --I think the 1280 is a bit faster than the 1220 (but it could just be my ability !!)---we gave the Farr specials (Oki Max and Zamzamah a good nudge ) but l would say the 1280 is a fast cruiser who will take you anywhere ---l do like the extra room /cockpit of the 1280 but l am quickly coming attached to my 1220

Archived