Cat 3, what do i need.

nz moth

About $35,000 and a throw line if your a single hander!! :lol: :lol: Oh! if your boat is less than 30 foot forget it. By the time you load aboard all you need, there won't be room for you!!! :crazy:

cat 3 is a piece of cake for most well found boats.

I am happy to have all the required gear.

There are 1 or 2 minor niggles, but they are more weight related then $$.

Yep agreed. I went through this for the first time for the Coastal last year and there were only a couple of minor niggles that I had to address. Following the Yachting NZ safety regulations was reasonably easy and in most cases common sense. Jono at Safety at Sea has a spreadsheet that may help if you need to buy stuff. I'm happy to have the safety gear onboard and keep most of it even when I am cruising.

+2. and the chat with the inspector is well worth the fee.

I can do small, I can do light, I can do cheap.

I can't guarantee all 3 at the same time. :)

Safety at Sea are please to help out where we can. Our biggest advantage is tailored specification depending on the boat, intended use, and budget.

Give us a call at Safety at Sea 09 3099 111

I can do small, I can do light, I can do cheap.

I can't guarantee all 3 at the same time. :)

Safety at Sea are please to help out where we can. Our biggest advantage is tailored specification depending on the boat, intended use, and budget.

Give us a call at Safety at Sea 09 3099 111

My main gripe is with the emergency water. 9L required I believe?

Whether you have 1 crew or 15.

Pretty minor for most, but on a light cat, I'd be stoked to save 9kg somewhere else, so adding it in water is frustrating, when it is clearly overkill.

Check out the regs were reviewed just recently and there are a few changes that depending on your perspective will help you out, for example 16.14 and 16.16 stored water to cater for the number of crew members onboard.

I only know this because i was doing some initial research around it for the Coastal. There are also changes to 16.08 (re cooking stoves), 17.05 (life jackets) and 18.2 (multihulls only) - I'll leave you to figure it out. According to Michael at YNZ there are some additional further changes but they are either minor or clarifications and he didn't list them for me.

Non-flammable water based beverages probably count to your emergency water, even the amber foamy ones.

...you may still need to finish with the required amount though? Interesting question in the case of post race inspections.

Interesting question in the case of post race inspections.

Sorta defeats the purpose of carrying it!

Sorry Mr. Inspector but we had to use a couple of hacksaw blades to break open the emergency 2-4 box of brew... err sorry water!

Archived