Hot Water

white tornado

I am looking at a hot water system for showers etc on my new (or at least much modified) light weight cruiser/racer, 35 foot. On of my mates strongly recommends a system basaed off engine cooling water. A couple of others strongly recommend a gas califont system. Hot water will not be used while racing, so light weight is good. All thoughts welcome, on reliability, weight , cost, etc.

Have you worked out how much water youll use having a shower?

Ive got a gas califont for hot water which works fine but showers use a shyte load of water which is the problem. We tend to use a 5l garden sprayer half filled with cold salt water and half with hot tap water, either in the shower cubicle or in the cockpit if the neighbours allow. Works fine and doesnt guzzle the water.

The things to think about.

A hot water cylinder, which is what you would need for engine heating, is heavy when full of water and takes considerable room. It needs to be situated somewhere near the engine.

A Gas water heater needs to have the exhaust flu vented to outside. That can be difficult for some boats.

You also need pressure water to both types, but the Gas heating requires a minimum water flow to activate and keep activated the caliphont. The water cylinder type can have a very small water flow.

You have only a small amount of hot water stored,( which tends to be fine for most people) and then you have to run the engine to heat more water.

The pluses are, you get "free" heating with the water cylinder.

Gas means you have unlimited hot water and can have very hot water for washing dishes.

Otto, that looks to be a good choice, when you say doesn't take long to heat - how long?

Some good ideas there Wheels, it is good to get a few other views about this common dilemma for yachts.

Otto, that looks to be a good choice, when you say doesn't take long to heat - how long?quote]

Can't remember if its the 24L or 30L that we put in but about an hour of motoring had the water hot.

I have a 20l hot water tank running thru the heat exchanger. Tank itself weighs almost nothing empty, was pleasantly surprised.

Heats farken hot water in less than 10 minutes and stays hot until next charge.

I can bath and shower all day two female screaming nightmares and a wife with no problem off the one tank..water simply gets colder the more you use it...... obviously.

You just need to remember to turn the pump on when you first get on the boat to fill the tank...

We have a 25lt cylinder similar to ottos one on our genesis. heats up after about 10 to 15 minutes running and is bloody well insulated as it is still hot the next morning for the dishes or whatever.

If on the marina we just flick the switch and it runs of the 240 system, awesome.

The new ones are miles ahead of the ones you brought 15 years ago in terms of effeciencey and insulation, but thats what they call progress I guess.

You can easliy drain it for racing if you want.

They all seem to be about $ 900 to $1200 depending on configuration, have a look on trade me there was some NZ made ones on there that looked OK.

We use a caliphont (sp?). Amount of water used is directly related to pressure, type of shower head, and time. The caliphont is light, all the time. The min water flow to allow switch on is adjustable (within limits), as is the temp. We tend to turn temp down for showers, up for dishes. Hot water is always available (provided you have water and gas!). No heat up time, no need to remember to turn on a pump. Caliphont is smaller than water tank, and is mounted above sink in rear head - NOT vented outside. have to use it with window hatch or door open, or the oxygen depletion sensor turns it off if on for few mins. Also, sometimes won't light if there is any blockage in the tap gauze. We removed a hot water tank to go to this, never regretted it. :D

We use hot water cylinder and pressure pump. It is simple, reliable and water heats real quick from running the engine. You can have a shower using very little water by soaping up first. This is the only pressure water we have. All other water is via whale foot pumps and dish water is heated in the kettle. Using this system 300l of water will easily last 2 weeks with 4 people and daily showers.

Archived