sheeting angle?

Probably been discussed before BUT...

With the gennankers, my under standing was always that it should be pulling on the foot and letting the head twist off effectively? Is this true? If not.. Whats a good way to figure out where the sheeting blocks should be located...

Have a feeling mine are to far forward on the 3.7 as the main where the head is usually being back winded.. Any advice greatly appreciated :)

I am not the expert on sheets and sails, far from it in fact. But I do think it is down to wind angle, wind speed and what the sail is doing. The sail tells me lots. If parts of it are not shaped properly, then I adjust something to fix it. If in this instance, the leech at the top of the sail is flapping, you need to shift the car forward to control it.

Barber haulers are the best way to change to sheeting angle, in my opinion, as the leech can be opened and closed as the sheet is eased or tensioned and as the breeze and apparent wind shift.

what most sail guru's will tell you is...

put sail flat on floor.

on the clew, measure an equal distance along the luff (from the eye) and the leech and mark (say500mm).

Funny sort of Sail where the clew and luff meet

Its all about twist, you generally want the top to start luffing a little before the bottom but not by much. You can see this more easily if you have 3 sets of woolies down the luff of the sail. The further you ease the sheet the more the sail wants to twist, so you move the car forward or pull the barber hauler on to correct the twist. This is true for any genoa or gennaker. Regarding the 3.7 you could rig up some temporary barber haulers and go sailing to work out the best compromise position before you start drilling holes.

Archived