A drunk Boatie arrested

wheels

This is in CHCH.

A drunk boatie had his oars seized by authorities after he rowed to shore from a yacht that was spotted "going round and round in circles" off Sumner Beach.

Police were alerted to the yacht's bizarre behaviour about 150 metres off Scarborough Heads just before 5pm yesterday.

Police alerted the Coastguard and Sumner Lifeboat was deployed to investigate.

"Intoxicated people were on a boat going round and round in circles and an intoxicated man had rowed to shore on a dinghy," a police spokesman said

The lifeboat crew discovered the 65-year-old man in a dinghy was "getting provisions and supplies" for his two fellow boaties.

A crewman seized his oars because "it was pretty rough out there and he probably wouldn't have made it back - especially in a dinghy".

The crew went out to the yacht and advised the two people on board to move to a more sheltered area and anchor.

There is no law against driving a boat while intoxicated, and the police spokesman said: "This is just another reason why alcohol and boating don't mix."

- © Fairfax NZ News

haha, there is a law against being impaired and operating a vessel in an unsafe manner, its called

section 65 of the Maritime Transport Act. "operating a boat in a manner that causes unnecessary danger".

Good to see he was going to get more "supplies" haha :D!

I have heard that the Marlborough harbour master has started asking people if they would submit to being breathalized.

These are, I understand, people he stops for exceeding the 5kt Picton Harbour speed limit.

I believe, too, that some harbour regulations relate to operating a vessel under the influence.

Can anyone confirm?

I have heard that the Marlborough harbour master has started asking people if they would submit to being breathalized.

These are, I understand, people he stops for exceeding the 5kt Picton Harbour speed limit.

I believe, too, that some harbour regulations relate to operating a vessel under the influence.

Can anyone confirm?

The Police Maritime unit (Wellington) have been asking boaties if they want to voluntarily take a breath test, good chance they would have been doing that in the sounds as well.

I'm not aware of any local bylaws being written to make restrictions,. As there is no empowering legislation that specifically restricts being under the influence it could be had to make local rules about it.

If it is in local bylaws it could be specifically tieing together being under the influence and section 65 of the MTA that Curt referred to.

There is no problem.

More people drown when at the beach sober than on a dingy going to a boat.

Do they test people at Beaches, fishing spots, ...

piha rescue would be a good place to start! Do they have idiotometers?

This is a "lead in" to more fines income.

I think I agree. The more idiots you save from killing themselves, the more idiots you will HAVE to save in the future.

Ransome had it best: BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WONT DROWN

Image the pile of oars they would have if the cops confiscated them off people rowing around boozed, at the Barrier at xmas time. :D :D

Just as well that i have an outboard on my dingy

Archived