Marine ply in Kerikeri

banaari

Anybody know where I can get marine ply in Kerikeri or close surrounds?

Back story, for amusement value: Previous owner has at some point removed a radio from the boat, leaving a nasty trio of holes in the fibreglass next to the companionway. (Under the sink, for any Beachcomber owners reading this).

Epoxied in a patch behind it last night, and today set about filling the depressions with fairing compound. Same process on the hole previously occupied by the manual galley pump. (Ever tried washing your hands when one hand is needed to operate the pump?)

To get enough access for sanding have had to remove the access flap over the fuel tank compartment. Removal was in fact destruction as the screws involved chose to sacrifice their heads rather than turn. Awful thing was scheduled for rebuild anyway; looked like the ill-shaped result of day one of a Form 1 woodworking class.

Anyway, I need some ply!

Id go to the closest hard stand and talk to the boat builders there. They should have something to suit your needs lying around for a cheaper cost then buying a whole sheet.

tip:- when filling small holes on solid GRP i always countersink (taper) both sides before filling to strengthen the filling and stop it ever being knocked out.

If the surrounds is original gel coat then i fill with gelcoat (tinted to correct colour) (with tape on back side of hole) then cut with 1200 and compound/polish.

Mix gel coat and apply into hole. if on verticle surface i alway do a first fill to "wet out" the surface then wait until it thickens (and just before it gels) to final fill.

i always tape around the hole, on the side i am filling from, then fill flush to the tape to ensure a slight over fill. then1200 etc...

large holes i fill with divynicell foam, taper grind the surrounding GRP then glass, fill (polyester) then gelcoat.

if the surface (boat) is timber and painted then just substitute ply for foam and epoxy for polyester systems.

if the boat is GRP but painted thenyou can substitute polyester for epoxy and paint system.

I quite like the notion of the foot pump, problem is there's nowhere to install one that wouldn't involve it being repeatedly kicked or tripped over or both.

Going with the microscopic electric beastie... power really isn't too big an issue for the amount of use it won't get and as master, commander & water fetcher I think I can discipline myself not to over-indulge... think there was actually more wastage with the one-handed juggling approach needed to use the manual unit.

Archived