Mast fall.....

ab1974

No thank god. Rather curious to know how it happened so I'll check it out today. Man that must of hurt bad. I'm due to clamber up the mast to instal a led in the tricolor and I'm definitely thinking safety!!

Curious to know, too.

Whenever we send someone up it's on two halyards, both tied then clipped. Never seen this as overkill, as things can (and obviously do) go wrong. How do others do it?

I'll shinny up the mast without anything but if there's someone about I attach a halyard. Its most dangerous at the top when trying to actually do something! There's an old guy (70 or so) across from me who uses a handy billy tackle with a 8:1 ratio and he just hauls himself up.

Curious to know, too.

Whenever we send someone up it's on two halyards, both tied then clipped. Never seen this as overkill, as things can (and obviously do) go wrong. How do others do it?

I have a certain impression - based on my recollection of the incidents I have read about - but realised it would be interesting to see any stats on which component has failed when things have gone wrong e.g.

- halyard at connection point (clip/knot/both :eh: that's a bad day )

- halyard elsewhere in its length

- harness/bosun's chair

- rope clutch/winch/both

- human error i.e. clutch was working fine but was inadvertently released.

Personally I have always put most of my focus on #5 i.e. the person who has all the power at their fingertips. But as mentioned above, that is more a matter of my own gut feeling as to where the risk lies.

Climbing masts without harnesses is courting danger. Once you've spent 6 months at Cavat ABI supporting a head injury victim you'd wear one all of the time.

Climbing masts whilst drunk with the intention of jumping into the water and showing how cool you are, but underestimating physics whereby the mast is pushed back and you fall vertically is courting danger.

Fixed :D

“He certainly did not have my permission to be there.”

Yep - looks like an interesting story there. I'm not a huge fan of going up my own mast, let alone going up one for fun without any safety gear!

When I was in aussie, i woke up one morning after a big night at the end of a coastal race somewhere. A crew of another boat walked up and looking at a credit card said "Is there a mr ormandy here?"

I gratefully took my card off him and asked him where he got it from.

He said "It fell out of your pocked when you climbed our mast last night"

I was kinda shocked, didn't even remember going to his boat. Truth be told, didn't even know which boat his was.

Lauren C. Is that a local Boat BBay? Seems a familiar name to me for some reason.

What a strange story.

Just after we had our mast fitted, I went up to sort out some wiring. I had a choice of Topping lift and a couple of halyards, but I decided to use the halyard that at the time, was the only one that had a Rope Clutch fitted. Dawn would winch me up and then she could lock the halyard off so when it was time for me to come down, she could take a few winds off the drum and then when ready, she could release the Clutch. So she wound away and I was nearly at the top when Dawn stops and says "oops". I replied that there are no opps's when I am at the top of the mast. "Well the winch has just come out of the mast". What?!?!?! "The winch has come out of the mast!". So I talked her through using the clutch to control my decent. So thankful that we used the Clutch.

Anyway, what had happened was that the rigger used aluminium Rivets to fix the winch and the rivets were too short and did not go all the way through the mast wall. So they pulled out. I told the Rigger what happened and the guy's reply was, "well if that's the only thing on a job that big, it's not so bad". I could not believe his comment. I could have been injured or worse. I have since bolted all the winches.

Darwin award :lol: It was raining and about 8 degrees :lol: Must of been stoned and drunk. I was actually aboard at the time waiting for the wind to come up, we were going to go out at 11 no wind so arranged 1 still not any wind and I fell asleep with a book woke up and its raining and I've got wet sails. did not have a clue about the dramas a few yards away.

I had one of my winches fall off after being "professionally " installed. Guy in the yacht next door got hauled up the mast by the halyard only to find the block was tied on with a piece of line! :shock: Be careful out there.

My old mates method of hauling himself up with a handy billy seems ideal to me. He's 70 and he goes up easily.

Lauren C is a local yacht.

My old mates method of hauling himself up with a handy billy seems ideal to me. He's 70 and he goes up easily.

Used that method many time - but often handy billys get dropped on deck and kicked around so always check them, and if the hackle pins cannot be seized change them, found one that the pins were loose on and the owner had just finished using it for aloft work...

Archived