A Farewell

Marshy

Well as some of you would have picked up- I have now sold Mercenary. And this Saturday i will be bidding farewell to the most fantastic boat i have ever owned. After tossing and turning about selling it, i got a good offer from a fantastic new owner who will do the boat alot of justice and is wanting to do the same as what i have done with the boat - its going to a great home.

Its amazing how when you first look at buying a boat you do the budget on it, know you cant afford it, so tweak the numbers, convince yourself you can and you buy it.

After 3 months you find you can afford it, and actually that some how you are spending more than you thought you could afford because you are having fun.

I have absolutely loved the last 3 years of owning Mercenary and have gotta say thanks to all those who have helped me along the way, or those that have sailed the countless miles with me on the boat. The rides i have had on that boat will be hard matched by anything i will own in the near future. The races the boys and i have won in the boat have been awesome, and the gennaker rides just awesome.

The cruises and other adventures the boat has taken me on over the past 3 years were great fun and an experience that i wouldn't take back for 3 times the money i spent on her. Anyone looking to buy a boat - the SR26's really are the 26foot keelboats on the water. i cant recommend them enough.

So this is farewell from a loving owner, to a boat that has been more of a best mate than a hole in the water. I can only hope the next owner has as much fun and gets as much satisfaction out of you as i have over the years. Im sure he will. And i will look forward to coming back and racing on you from time to time so you can remind me that i should never have sold you!

See you on the water Mercenary, and thanks for everything.

+1. A very eloquent tribute to a boat. Should be saved somewhere for the benefit of aspiring boat owners who are wondering if they should/can/dare. Good effort young fulla! :thumbup:

You've done her proud marshy, what's next?

She has done me proud you mean Phil?

I couldnt recommend highly enough for young guys to do what i did. To sink them selves into a boat, instead of cars etc. and get involved in the local yacht club and make the most of it.

It has many times been the reason i have got up for work each day. And worked that extra overtime to buy that new Jib for nationals etc.

2 Coastal classics, Simrads, and 2 weeks cruising the Bay of Islands, plus 2 years cruising the Barrier, ive done some miles in her.

Sure as hell will be a sad man when it leaves to head up town. Congratulations to the new buyer for managing to pry my pride and joy off me! and as to what next? I really dont know!

I had a plan when i listed her, and was going to get a more cruising oriented boat, but then took her off the market as i realised it wouldnt be the same without her, then Sean came along and it just felt right selling it to her. She is going to a great home.

Damn MM, you almost had me all misting up with that.

+1. A very eloquent tribute to a boat. Should be saved somewhere for the benefit of aspiring boat owners who are wondering if they should/can/dare. Good effort young fulla! :thumbup:
Murky says what I want too but he does it better.

Nice Marshy, SRs are certainly pretty special.

Station was my first (and so far only) keel boat. We had been looking to buy for a while, the weekend we first saw Spacie was the same weekend we discovered child no1 was on his way.

It was my mother in law, bless her, who convinced us to go ahead and buy Spacie, best thing we did.

Archived