Wild night in Wellington

grant

Well its a barrel of fun here tonight.....

wind has eased to 60-7 0knots of southerly, 9m significant wave height at the entrance (max around 16)

Was blowing over 90 knots at the entrance earlier on, one boat blown over on the hard at seaview marina.

One ferry broken mooring lines, and part of its berth, driving around the harbour with two tugs standing by.

and the usual stuff, roofs missing, trampolines flying, roads blocked, and massive power outages

Think winter might be here.....

Pleased to have left!!

Issued by MetService at: 8:11pm Thursday 20 Jun 2013

Valid to: Midnight Friday 21 Jun 2013

Forecast

*** STORM WARNING IN FORCE ***

Southerly 75 knots easing to 60 knots Friday morning and to 40 knots Friday afternoon. Phenomenal sea easing. Southerly swell rising to 6 metres for a time. Poor visibility in rain.

Just another wellington southerly!!

Total carnage at mana. In between tying up boats I noticed 65knots on my windspeed. 3furlers had let go, one launch was half way out into the Fairway as all of his Stern lines had broken. There was a wooden rowing dingy in the middle of the hard stand car park!

Plenty of carnage at Chaffers. Visited this morning to check boats and the ramp between the wharf and the pier has come away for both C and D pier. A bit of mountain climbing required to get off the pier as they are just haning on by the cables. A few boats with broken lines too.

The carnage continues at seaview marina. Launch owners are loosing there roofs. The Waka has lost a mast. Boats have been blown over in the trailer park and on the hard. The peir down by the big boats is breaking apart aswell.

Two boats on the poles have lost their moorings, one is sitting out in the channel hanging on one stern line the other is sitting sideways smashing against the poles

w44vi. Just saw that pic in the local paper down here in SI. Made me feel sick. I really feel for those people who have lost their dream in the storm. I can't imagine how they must feel. :(

Archived