Watch the AC

Aussie

ETNZ by 2:20.

It was interesting to watch when something broke, and it there was a brief chance of some real racing. Not sure if anything will come of the ETNZ support boat coming in so quickly to pick up the jib and forcing Luna Rossa to alter course.

So if we follow the tend, they started with gennakers (on the 45's) , then decided a jib was enough on the 72's, now ETNZ increase their lead by sailing without a jib, will they all go una rig?. Although despite the humour ETNZ did seem a little slower downwind to me.

Regarding the jib in the water, if the chase boat hadn't driven in to pick it up LR would have sailed right over it and ...........

TB

Regarding the jib in the water, if the chase boat hadn't driven in to pick it up LR would have sailed right over it and ...........

TB

That was my first thought as well, Tim. Luna Rossa would have had to alter course anyway, otherwise it could have an even worse outcome for them.

Exactly, I think they were ready to tack anyway and just left it as long as they could ...... so it looked more dramatic on the video. No protest that I have heard of.

TB

One advantage of the Internet coverage is it makes a replay easier, and LR could easily have dipped the ETNZ chase boat rather than tacked. Maybe not knowing if jib sheets were also washing around they considered it safer to tack than risk the possibility of catching something.

Got to work a little earlier to watch only to find the overseas proxy is not permitted access to the TVNZ coverage, but the AmericasCup.com site worked fine.

How bad is the coverage of this by TVNZ?

Way back Larry promised the best TV coverage ever, then we get this rubbish last week where the highlights after the race didn't even show the bit at the start where Barker screwed LR.

Then today, no race coverage coz some sauce bottles fell over in a Wellington supermarket! WTF!

So go to the TVNZ streaming & it's bloody average. Check TV1 again at about 0800 and there's f&*king cricket!

I know yachtings knot mainstream sport but this is ridiculous. :thumbdown:

TVNZ's streaming quality is abhorrent, unfortunately. A 720p option (HD) would be nice, or even a 480p, as by the looks of that it was down around 320 at best.

How many watched it live?

3 at Clever Fox's office, productivity low today!

I think it's because the lame commentators have somehow grabbed the morsel of information that they go best upwind at 5 degrees or something. Now they seem to trot that out at regular intervals, and infer that if you are at a different angle you are as good as lost!

3 at Clever Fox's office, productivity low today!

An excellent start to the week then :)

"Why do they show the angle of heel?" something to do with Toyota's sponsorship??

:)

I wondered that too.

Perhaps it is just me, but the commentary seems sadly lacking. There is now a Justin Marshall of the yachting world, sadly.

I watched it live when tvnz streaming finally started working. Lack of HD was disappointing hardly pushed my new million watt home wifi setup!

Tis streaming beautifully on Youtube HD over here in Sydney.

Sounds like Oz is getting better coverage than NZ, and there's no Oz boat!!

I assume NZ is Geobloked on youtube due to the TVNZ coverage rights?

Archived