Americas Cup race 13 and possibly 14?

That is why to win the Americas Cup is so great. All through history the defenders have stacked the rules in their favour.

Now the jury docked Oracle 2 points, the rules have docked us 3 points, think we have the moral high ground again, and the win will be so much sweater for it (if and when it happens)

Im just about over this cup and I think that I might just sleep in tomorrow and tune in at 10am to facebook to see who won what races if there were any raced. Can somebody wake me up when September ends?

So who is brave enough to watch the racing tomorrow?

Going to be hard to watch but equally hard not to watch. They reckon it will be raining tomorrow and another possibly light wind day

I wonder if the race officials will be capable of laying a course that can actually be completed within the time limits?

I'll be watching. can't help feeling course will be the same, and if wind is 14 knots it appears that Oracle has a slight speed advantage. Dean and the boys need to sail a near perfect race to win... which they can.

Jennakers/A0's seem completely superfluous, as if the wind is light enough to use them, you cannot finish in time. may as well cut off the prods...

Go ETNZ!

Agreed Island Time.

OK, so you set a 40 minute time limit. Great, but then you have to set a course that be completed. Try explaining to the non-sailing TV crowd why a boat sailing towards the finish at 20kt is going too slow and the race is going to be binned. Race management know the speeds of the boats, Murray has already said they had to lengthen the course because the boats are much quicker than ever intended/expected - so you'd think it would be simple math to figure out a course length that is good for low winds. It's not rocket science and big ups to our local race committees who manage to pull in that top mark a little bit when the breeze is soft. It's not like we're trying to reinvent anything here.

Absolute farce. Time limits should be killing races when the breeze has crumped out or gone daft. If the race couldn't be finished in the breeze it was started - why start it?

Interesting listening to PJ on Deaker today that they suspect Oracle is using different foils in each hull where the wind bias favours one board. Having a look at the VE data it certainly looks that way with vastly different upwind speeds on alternate boards and to a lesser degree downwind too.

And yes, how can a boat doing 20 knots not make the time limit?

Interesting listening to PJ on Deaker today that they suspect Oracle is using different foils in each hull where the wind bias favours one board. Having a look at the VE data it certainly looks that way with vastly different upwind speeds on alternate boards and to a lesser degree downwind too.

And yes, how can a boat doing 20 knots not make the time limit?

That would make a lot of sense as they have been smoking on one tack but not another. I wonder if ETNZ are going to set up for the moderate wind or for the upper wind limit tomorrow and if they will try and get it done in the first race or in the second race when they have port entry.

I have had to exchange for tomorrow the RNZYS for the work staff room, the champagne for sparkling grape juice and hundreds of crazy ETNZ supporters for crazy staff members who are expecting me to have HD coverage for them by 8am. Heres hoping tomorrow is the last day and I can crack open the proper bubbles for dinner :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's very interesting wild oats, I've wondered if they've set the yaw range ( relative to hull C/L ) at less angle of attach on the port board, with how deep they've been able to sail on starboard gybe down wind. it could also be a less cambered board in the lateral plane. perhaps we will never know

That's very interesting wild oats, I've wondered if they've set the yaw range ( relative to hull C/L ) at less angle of attach on the port board, with how deep they've been able to sail on starboard gybe down wind. it could also be a less cambered board in the lateral plane. perhaps we will never know

We've seen OTUSA parallel the boundry on the downwind a few times and make huge gains. Surely ETNZ must expect that now so they should cover that side of the course and not wait until the last minute like they did the other day when a solid lead turned into a stupid port-starboard incident.

Archived