Coastguard...powers??

Tamaki river 5 knots is a JOKE. NO ONE DOES FIVE KNOTS!!! Yesterday Lion Foundation Rescue was heading down river from Halfmoon Bay when she lit up like a blue Xmas tree and yelled at all the boats whipping past to slow down...which they did...then immediately astern, sped up again.

My question is: what powers (authority) does Coastguard have in telling these %$#^!! that they are breaking the law? If none, then I think they should be given the power to stop and book the bastards!! And whilst at it, charge the c&%ts for not carrying life jackets for all those aboard.

You just need to be at the boat ramp to see the bait being loaded closely followed by many slabs of beer and not a life jacket in sight. Flares? "oh I haven't worn those since the 70's..."

No law enforcement = idiots.

Short answer is none. CG volunteers have no more "authority" on the water than a member of the public.

99.9% of the volunteers have no interest in being a policeman and are there to help and where appropriate advise. If we cop attitude, we'll generally back away and leave it to the Harbourmaster etc.

Yeah motoring back up the Tamaki river yesterday we thought the same thing that it was time the harbour master did anothre sting on the river for speed.

Yesterday we had a full sponsored and signwritten Thundercat do ripping past, so i signaled for 5 knots, he turned around and pulled the fingers and did a lap of the boat before buggering off - Dumb move as its caught on camera and been sent through to his sponsor for approval :-)

But there were a dozen boats going either way at 15knots plus, while the learn to sail kids rigged up on the beach. Someone soon will get killed.

(...) sent through to his sponsor for approval :-)

Skills :)

Had occasion to do something similar when tailgated at ~100k by a bogan in a company van replete with 0800 number. Not a lot between the ears...

Sadly I think it _will_ take a death. Hell, as it stands you can ram and sink a yacht, hospitalise the crew and get what was it, a $250 fine? :twisted:

[quote name="CosaNostra"

Yesterday we had a full sponsored and signwritten Thundercat do ripping past' date=' so i signaled for 5 knots, he turned around and pulled the fingers and did a lap of the boat before buggering off - Dumb move as its caught on camera and been sent through to his sponsor for approval

I agree. A jet ski ripping up and down Little Bucks beach yesterday....just metres from shore. The sensible parents got their kids out of the water.

There was some numpty on a jet ski at shoal bay pissing me off while trying to work on the boat too. buzzing back and forward.

On Sunday evening went to Pt Chev beach for a swim, saw a rather well behaved jet ski, who idled out a few 100m before giving it the boot, which was great to see - no kids or paddle boarders were run down.

So its not all of them..

Just a really late follow up, I was told years ago that Coastguard did not want any legal powers as there have been instances where persons in trouble left it way late to notify anyone of the situation they were in as they were afraid of prosecution.

Therefore it makes sense for Coastguard units not to get involved with issues like this, anyone can contact their local Harbour Master, or Police unit to complain about idiots on the water, ramp, where ever.....

Take a long hard look at the way the Queensland waters are policed, do we want that here? once you start down that track there is no turning back.

Just look at how Northland waters are becoming more and more regulation bound. Around 10 years ago there was no specific person, then around 5 to 6 years ago 1 guy was appointed, now, they are in expansion mode, low key, but you will find them puttering around Whangarei harbour or any other Northland harbour looking for "something" to justify their existance. You can't turn the clock back.

In the US, the first thing Coast Guard do when they board your boat, is look at the Valve for the Blackwater Tank to ensure it is wired shut. And its a huge fine if you don't have it comply.

(...) puttering around (...) or any other Northland harbour looking for "something" to justify their existence..

I wish they'd putter around the Kerikeri Basin a bit and enforce the 5 knot rule on the f*****s driving fizz boats.

Hehe:

Worth 30 points: In the yet-to-be-published Maritime Sociology of the Kerikeri Basin, Banaari asserts that "all motorboat owners are arseholes".

Discuss, giving examples to support your reasoning and conclusions...

I'd like to find the dipshit who crossed our transom in a tinny off tutukaka. Maybe 2 boatlengths - his not mine, took my lure, stripped the reel (leaving me with a huge burn on my thumb) then disappeared. Yes they knew they had done it, Angela saw then look back as the reel screamed.

I had the Hawk cross my stern at at least 15knots in the B.o.I. 3 or 4 years ago. I was waving at them & pointing to the fishing rod, I think they thought I was giving them the fingers as they started to come around, they must have realised then just what my "signals" meant and went back to their original course. They would have been within 50m.

The putterers are far more interested in looking for folk cleaning their hulls ( can't scrub anymore, only wipe with a sponge) and or breaking any of the increasing No. of marine bylaws, I think speeding would be one of the least they are interested in unless it is off a swimming beach.

Archived