Water tank outlet size

Drinking water knot ballast.

Only a manual pump in galley, no direct shower or stuff like that.

:shh: There will be a inline electric pump for me when in 'lazy mode'. Tell that to any female in my household and I will kill ya dead!!

Will a 12mm (actual hole size) be OK or should I have larger?

It's funny the little things like this you've ever really had to think about previously.

12 mm (1/2 inch) is fine. You can go to 18mm but for an electric (fresh water) pump, you may not want to increase the water flow :wink: . A lot of pumps and fittings have duel or tripple barbs. (A lot of people forget to cut the smaller ones off when using a larger hose). I would recommend going bigger for a hand galley sink pump.

Galley to be minimal, but all there, as it's looking to be more a race only boat now. It seems my Wa got abducted by aliens recently and doesn't want her new house, she wants a stinker to mothership the 930 instead. Bugger to hear than now as I'd have done the boat a little different by so be it.

So the plan is the new tanks can be very easily dried out and left empty (and open so they don't build stink). I like the inline to empty idea Bike, never crossed my silly mind so I'm gonna pinch that one. The old tanks were biggish bladders but you could never get them bone dry and the water left went cessy during race season so I've gone to smaller built in tanks with inspection ports on the top.

I don't want to use the lectric pump in the galley except for extreme reasons, they do use a lot more water than manual and it's knot like we will be trying to fill spa pools or much bigger than the coffee pot.

Still tossing up with a salt water feed but it's looking likely. I can tap that off an existing thru-hull so easy peasy. I've built in a small water tight compartment for all the plumbing. One small bit of ply and I now have that thru-hull and bits in that locker so should one bit have a bad day it can flood that locker (20lts maybe) but go no further. It will also allow easy repairs with only a small inflow of water while doing them. Adds no weight but is a nice little just in case safety feature. We have a few things like that happening with her.

I have a MNZ Surveyor overseeing the rebuild and he loves sh*t like that :)

After a check yesterday he's happy we're in a very good place build strength and build quality wise so that's nice to know.

I like that idea with everything in a box. But really - get a 140l/hr watermaker and you can have fresh water for the dishes and a shower, and don't bother with the salt water (it makes everything yucky my wife says). Plus a freshwater rinse on the transom if you go swimming. And put a califont on the inside shower so it can be nice and hot. And why not a double sink? You'll also need a 3 burner stove with a decent sized oven.

Put a drain on each end of the galley sink so that you can drain the sink whichever tack you're on. It gets real old having to constantly woosh the water uphill to the drain because you've been on the wrong tack for 3 days. :)

I know KM's boat is a small
The term is 'a little cutie' thank you :)

Interesting idea Grinna and as I'm tempted to follow one of my 'cool sh*t in my boat just because I can Gods', one Tim Willets, I'm thinking a carbon sink so 2 drains would be easy. But if I do that I'd also need a carbon dunny and that looks rather tricky :lol: :lol:

so building a carbon sink eh ??..turning green ? :D

A carbon sink is a natural or artificial reservoir that accumulates and stores some carbon-containing chemical compound for an indefinite period.
so building a carbon sink eh ??..turning green ? :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Doh!!! It just clicked.

Now off to see how many carbon credits I get if I get into carbon sinks. I'll go you halves in any I can get Idler :thumbup:

If you build the sink yourself put a round bottom in it so it drains at all angles and you will also use less water to wash up too.

Since Idlers post I have sussed making a carbon sink and carbon dunny seat. I'm knot as good as Tim so knot willing to go full carbon dunny as I know it'll only end in tears.

Looks like the sink and seat are all go.... once I just buff the odd scratch out of the rest of the beast :?

Yes, got one for xmas cruising this year, not spectacular results however.

The pumps are cheap and nasty and don't work that well, there are considerably better but not cheaper options.

Hopefully I will have time to change ours and fit a better one before Mahurangi weekend - see you up there!

Archived