pumping out - proposed rule for 2km distance

rigger

see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23837 for where it started

I sent a query to the council about the article, below is their response.

In regards to your enquiry regarding the issue of sewage discharges from vessels, the Proposed Auckland Unitary Plan includes a proposed rule that extends the distance off shore from which sewage discharges are permitted from 500m to 2 km. This rule can be found in at http://unitaryplan.aucklandcouncil.govt ... /Book.aspx under:

• Part 3 – Regional and District Rules

• 6 Coastal

• General Coastal Marine Zone

• Activity Table

• 1.7 Discharges

• 2. Land and water use controls

• 2.15 Discharges

The activity table permits sewages discharges from vessels, however this is subject to meeting the land and water use controls which extend the distance that sewage can be discharged from a vessel from 500m from MHWS (plus the other criteria such as 5 metre water depth) to 2km from MHWS. Submissions can be made on this proposed rule until 28 February 2014. You can make a submission from the council website http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/p ... ssion.aspx

What I see as a real contrast here is the difference between us boaties and land based mobile homes / campers. The motor caravan association long ago realised dumping sewage anywhere wasn't on and took the idea of dealing with it on fully. Consequently they now are a powerfull organisation , lobbying councils, building there own dump stations if necessary, buying land for camps etc. They have lawyers on board working for them and are at present taking the Coromandle Council to court over camping restictions.

Compare that with water based craft. We are a disjointed bunch with no rules, power or anything. Totally at the mercy of Councils, and worse, marina developers and runners. What we think about 500 m or 2 ks is not here or there really. What really matters at the end of the day is what non boating members of the public think, and when they find out we are crapping 500m from them swimming are they going to be impressed?

All the crap from 4 million human inhabitants of NZ is pretty insignificant compared to the crap generated by the many more millions of cows and sheep on the farms of NZ, much of which makes its way into the rivers and lakes, making them unsuitable for swimming, catching fish etc.. And don't get me started on pollution caused by burn-offs! :x

100% pure? 100% bull more like.

So how about Auckland Council's untreated sewage discharges through sewer overflows into storm water systems? Those discharges run directly across beaches and foreshore areas and represent the sewage input from thousands of land-based residents and ratepayers. The implications of that kind of discharge are way, way more significant than one or two boats in a quiet bay with one or two people onboard each.

I certainly hope Yachting NZ are submitting on this issue.

Someone's going to have to explain to me why this constitutes a problem.

2 kilometres is all of 1 nautical mile give or take. Fit a small holding tank. Pump out when appropriate.

If you're never THAT far from shore then presumably you're also close to the land-based facilities your crew should be educated to use where possible.

Someone's going to have to explain to me why this constitutes a problem.

The problem is the practicality of this rule. The route between Aucklands main marinas/mooring zones and the most popular cruising grounds of Waiheke is totally within the Zone.

Yes, the marinas have pump out facilities, but this doesn't work for everyone, i.e those of us on Moorings who the marinas won't let us use the pump out facilities.

What are the Kaipara and Manukau boaties to do?

When you spend a week at the Barrier, are you going to spend half a day to sail back out to sea, pump and then turn around and sail back?

What is the evidence that shows this limit is required? Grinna is right about the Sewer Oveflows being a much bigger issue in Auckland - most of the old areas overflow EVERY time it rains - which is a lot!

See map showing the area covered by this proposed rule.

Make a submission people!

Gen Coastal sewage discharge 2013-08-05.jpg

Yes, the marinas have pump out facilities, but this doesn't work for everyone, i.e those of us on Moorings who the marinas won't let us use the pump out facilities. (...) Make a submission people!

I *_am_* on a mooring - and the cure in my case is a chemical toilet... very easy - when at a wharf, cart it ashore and empty it.

If you are going to submit, then I would suggest the submission explain the practicalities and place emphasis on tying the 2-kilometre rule to the provision, by the council, of adequate pump-out facilities. In the same way there are approved RV and stock truck effluent dump sites.

Frankly I don't like the idea of a bunch of submissions from yachties demanding to continue to dump sh*t in the Waitemata or the Gulf. Irrespective of the actual facts involved- it's just not a good look and it undermines our advocacy on more legitimate concerns - for example, marine farms.

Political reality on this one is it isn't a battle we are going to win and therefore shouldn't be fought.

Definitely an issue if you are on a mooring at Hobsonville.

First time I am glad I have a 2500ltr Holding tank :wink:

Yes, the marinas have pump out facilities, but this doesn't work for everyone, i.e those of us on Moorings who the marinas won't let us use the pump out facilities.

So are there no pump out facilities at the Fuel docks??

Bit of a slippery slope. Apparently in the med you may not dump at sea and must pump everything on shore. Personally I dont have a problem, even the middle of Tamaki Strait is more than 4k wide after a weekend at the bottom end. (Whoever is using kilometres is no boatie) But it really is overkill, what did God invent bacteria for anyway?

and the cure in my case is a chemical toilet... very easy - when at a wharf, cart it ashore and empty it.

Be careful with these. I know someone who had one on his cruising cat and had a bit of bad luck one sunny afternoon. He left it out in the sun a bit too long while getting the boat tidied up and rowing ashore. As he put it in the car the seals blew out under the pressure, exploding and covering him in the contents!

So who throws their Meal scraps and Bana...ooops I mean Orange skins and Apple cores over the side at their Mooring/anchor ???

Now go read the Rules on that and answer how far offshore you are required to be. It's ridiculous actually, especially when we can or could drop Blackwater so close to shore.

No scraps go over the side if there are other boats anchored, if I have the bay to myself thats a different matter, scraps go over and I do sometimes cut them up even. Same with urine for that matter. Actually on Waiheke if I come into a bay and no one else is there but a flash house overlooking I deliberately let rip from the pulpit hoping they are watching. I think its the dog in me, marking the spot and dispels the idea that the house owner owns the bay.

So, what's caused the rule to become more strict? 1000s of people getting sick from swimming near boats? How was the old rule policed or enforced? If it wasn't policed or enforced, how do you know what effect it was having and how do you propose to measure the effect of the new stricter rule? Do we now have an opportunity for a roving band of "poo police" tootling about the bays and waterways of the Auckland region looking for errant poo dischargers? Doubtful ..... but I'm told Len Brown isn't welcome at official events these days so they might send him out to look for illegally discharged poo .... but only the poo that has come from boats .... certainly not from Council owned and operated pipes,

I have said this before. In the US, the Coastguard makes regular boardings and inspections of boats for the sole reason to look at the holding tank and that the discharge valve is wired shut with a "seal" to show it has not been opened. A substantial fine is given if that valve is not found wired shut. I hope that kind of thing never happens in NZ, where an organisation that is known for Safety and Help is not turned into the Poo Police.

Hmmm, I am thinking of a couple of words that would describe Len Brown floating in the Harbor. Bob isn't one on them :wink:

Archived