520 containers lost from 1 ship last friday

Why are the f***ing things not fitted with some kind of locator so they can be found and retrieved.

Or are they?

i would guess that the valuable stuff would be too damaged after going overboard to be worth the trouble.

Why are the f***ing things not fitted with some kind of locator so they can be found and retrieved.

Or are they?

i would guess that the valuable stuff would be too damaged after going overboard to be worth the trouble.

I was more thinking about removing the navigational hazard from the water. Or are these things not much of a menace to large ships, only yachties?

i.e. no incentive for the shipping companies to do anything and presumably damn-all compulsion.

I understand that some (or all, not sure) have a 'bung' of some sort that will fail when immersed in water, so after a period of time the air will get out and water in and down they go.. unless they are full of ping pong balls....

Yes there is a pressure activated bung in them and the majority of them go to the bottom, but more often than not, the contents ends up being as buoyant as the weight of the container and the things float almost submerged and are really dangerous.

I have heard of cases every now and then, of Navy ships being sent out to shoot at and sink the things. But salvaging them is just not worth the cost and especially as the Cargo is likely to be destroyed by the seawater, there is no salvage earned to cover the cost of retrieving.

There are a lot more than 350 lost annually though. Maybe that is just that one Shipping company. I can't look up the statistics at the mo(I am on Holiday and on limited download) if someone does a google search "shipping containers lost at sea", I think you will find the number to be quite astonishing. If I remember correctly, the number is more like 10,000 per year. Varies from year to year of course.

520 from one ship though, that is a lot of load to suddenly lose. Lucky they didn't lose the Ship.

I spent about 22 years working container (and other shipping) and only lost containers once. That was in the southern ocean, sub 50' south in about 100knots. Scarry stuff even on a 200m length ship. We lashed like hell on all trips and loss was generally caused by cargo inside a box breaking free, leaving the box onboard and the cargo on the deck, in the next box or somewhere else. The 500 odd boxes seems a huge amount and I am very surprised the ship was not aware they had been lost. A bit of interesting media reporting maybe.

From what I know (not a lot re containers and shipping) they usually cross tie the things from corner to corner with long steel rods, so as a stack is all held as one stack. That must put considerable strain on the bottom container connected to the deck. Yet when they go over, they always seem to be in singles, so I don't know how that happens exactly. Or maybe not all companies cross tie containers.

From what I know (not a lot re containers and shipping) they usually cross tie the things from corner to corner with long steel rods, so as a stack is all held as one stack. That must put considerable strain on the bottom container connected to the deck. Yet when they go over, they always seem to be in singles, so I don't know how that happens exactly. Or maybe not all companies cross tie containers.

Only upto three high are there lashing bars, the rest are just twist locks.

stacks.jpg

Archived