Woman single handed- coastal classic 2015 boat needed

SeaEagleii

I once spent several weeks at sea with him, a blond wig won't even begin to help :lol: :lol: :lol:

So there you go, find someone to cough up $40k , the three of us and Rob will pick up the 4th boat.

ha ha, if its me against you and we are in identical boats at least i will have a 50kg weight advantage, more if you take 4 kgs of cheese for the trip. :lol: :lol:

WOW weeeee thats a lot to chew on !!!!

Need to get a sail on a Multi and feel how that feels and see if I have the feel for it!!

Got an 8 year old Bday party to sort out then I will start sorting my head out and chewing on this stuff...

FYI - Im a permanent resident who has made this ( NZ ) home but im from SA-

My Soul Sail Story : sailingsash.blogspot.com

"There's no use trying" Alice said, "one can't believe impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't had much practice" said the Queen.

"When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why

sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before

breakfast."

:P

The problem, as always, is cash. 4 boats is going to cost $240,000, which I don't have. There is no doubt that a sponsored entry for 4 single handed women in the Coastal Classic would move things along rapidly in the search for investors. If you can't find 3 more single handed Kiwi women sailors, let me know as there 2 Aussie ladies who would be very keen.

Rob,

So what you're saying is we only need 1 more single handed woman sailor and we're there (apart from a minor detail of $240,000).

A Transtasman Women's Single handed race in Proas would definitely raise a bit of interest.

I would only be interested in supporting it though, if they were 'official entries'

I reckon if we could secure the details, an advance of $240,000 would be available.

I would also be keen to come and see one of these and maybe hire one for a race to see how they go. When do you see the first one being ready to sail? Do they take more than one person and still be competative?

So if we find the $$ I would be keen - also on official entry- or what's the point-..

Another point- as a mono sailor I imagine some training in learning to sail those flying water machines would be needed?? Or playing on other multi's would be enough ?? ( I imagine not )

All very well that it rights itself etc but that's a sh#% load of boat falling around your head throwing you off.. 3 4 ... 6 meter seas?!? How do you recover and get back on?

What kind of training would be needed to get these babies moving and skippers confident in all weather ?

Trans Tasman - no running away from weather.. Been in 70 knots in a mono.. Id crap myself on one of those in 70 knots and 6 meter seas...

How would that work..?

Rob,

Do you know if there has been any in roads with ISAF on changing the wording of Section 1 1.0.1 yet?

I didn't think it was us (NZMYC) not being 'open minded'! Slander! :lol:

Have they been tried long distance?

Single handed - they have auto helm?

Long distance .. Food? Toilet? Sleep?

Guess beside the boat there would be a lot of other expenses for a Trans Tas- .. Personal locating beacons for one ..lol

Rob,

Do you know if there has been any in roads with ISAF on changing the wording of Section 1 1.0.1 yet?

What does this section say? Google couldn't find me an answer!

Rob,

What does this section say? Google couldn't find me an answer!

ISAF Offshore rules:

1.01.1 It is the purpose of these Special Regulations to

establish uniform minimum equipment,

accommodation and training standards for monohull

and multihull yachts racing offshore. A Proa is

excluded from these regulations.

I have emailed YNZ to find out the current position as the rules are under review.

I see they have a definition for Monohull and Proa but not Multihull.

Proa Def: Asymmetric Catamaran

Therefore throw on another (token) hull onto your Proa and you'll have yourself an Asymmetric Trimaran, which is then just a multihull.

WOW weeeee thats a lot to chew on !!!!

Need to get a sail on a Multi and feel how that feels and see if I have the feel for it!!

You will be blown away by the speed and level sailing. if it is a well set up proa, the ease of sailing will astonish you.

John,

I have not asked the Aus girls, but they would be very keen on the Coastal Classic. Not so a Trans Tasman solo voyage, which is not for the faint hearted or the inexperienced.

For the CC, just the $AUS240,000 to find and the approval of the NZMYC to make it official.

For a trans Tasman solo race, just the $Aus240,000 and 4 experienced offshore sailing women.

First one should be ready by Xmas, but later in the summer is more likely. You are welcome for a sail any time. Chartering will not be available until I have debugged it, which should not take too long. Ideal crew is 2. 3 is possible, if they travel light.

Scottie,

No inroads. They don't answer my emails. Once the boat is sailing/racing, I will push harder.

quote="Thinkhappi"]So if we find the $$ I would be keen - also on official entry- or what's the point-..

Different strokes, different folks. Some people race for the silverware and the status, others race against the boats immediately ahead and behind. The latter do not need to be official.

quote="Thinkhappi"]Another point- as a mono sailor I imagine some training in learning to sail those flying water machines would be needed?? Or playing on other multi's would be enough ?? ( I imagine not )

An afternoon sailing Bucket List would be more than enough to get you competent. They are very easy boats to sail (no extras, no bow work, one sail, no rigging to tune, no daggerboards, almost nothing to go wrong) once you get your head around shunting, which you could do on BP's 20 footer.

quote="Thinkhappi"] All very well that it rights itself etc but that's a sh#% load of boat falling around your head throwing you off.. 3 4 ... 6 meter seas?!? How do you recover and get back on?

Capsizing is not recommended. Sensible sailing, the bendy rig, lack of extras and the mainsheet fuse make it a much less likely event than on any other multi. If you do manage it, the recovery is easy(ish) and should not involve you getting wet. A safety harness will stop you falling off.

quote="Thinkhappi"]What kind of training would be needed to get these babies moving and skippers confident in all weather ?

Same as any boat. Start in small storms and work your way up.;-)

quote="Thinkhappi"]Trans Tasman - no running away from weather.. Been in 70 knots in a mono.. Id crap myself on one of those in 70 knots and 6 meter seas...

How would that work..?

Storm survival is as much about the person as the boat. Once it gets out of your comfort zone, drop the sails and pull up the rudders. A 7.5m x 12m raft drawing 100mms is very difficult to capsize. When this becomes uncomfortable, stream a drogue or a parachute (much easier doing this on a proa than a cat, tri or mono) and go below with a god book. Good weather routing also helps. Running away from bad weather is an option in a boat that can easily sail at 15-20 knots.

Have they been tried long distance?

Single handed - they have auto helm?

Long distance .. Food? Toilet? Sleep?

Guess beside the boat there would be a lot of other expenses for a Trans Tas- .. Personal locating beacons for one ..lol

Bucket List has not been sailed at all. An overloaded cruising version crossed the Tasman a couple of years ago. Weathered a 45 knot storm, arrived safely, with a broken ring frame.

With the liftable rudders you should be able to set it up to self steer for the Coastal, but for longer trips, an auto pilot (and larger battery and solar panel) will be needed. Food is up to you. Toilet is either a bucket, biffy bag or through the trampoline. The windward hull has 2 cot berths.

Liferaft, sat ph, parachute anchor, auto pilot and some serious time in the boat would be the main expenses for a solo trans Tasman.

Freeeedom,

Cool idea as a last resort, but I would prefer to make it happen without rule bending if possible.

:wink: Wow what a Freudian slip: In a storm take sail down and go below with a God book. Yep I think the bible would be good to have with me on a proa offshore!!

Hi Rob carry on you deserve success with these simple but effective sailing machines, I remember Russell Browns one when he cruised down from the states.

Archived