Sydney to Hobart

I just wonder that it seems NZ only had one boat in the line up.

Do you think it's just too hard to get over there and be prepared, what with it being directly after (on) Christmas etc?

I guess many NZ boats who might give it a go are crewed by friends etc. and no one can get the time off during the main holiday season for the family? 

If that's the case it leaves only the professional crews, I guess, and how many pro NZ boats/crews are there?

How many Aussie boats come over and do the Coastal? Buggerall I guess...

A race like that won't work here. NZ has great cruising grounds, Sydney does not.

exactly

in oz you get used to driving 1000km in a day just get get to the next city

clocking a 1000km in a day here would be a foolish way to tour here

you'd miss so much

the coastal classic is a better fit for most kiwi sailors

than the the S2H is for most aussie ones

I saw that yesterday BP - just had not got around to posting it yet! Anyway, you beat me to it. 

IMO she is dead right!

Real race boats are well beyond the reach of most people, and due to the regs it has become too expensive for most to consider it worth entering an older, or cruise oriented boat. It is becoming more elite every year...

Maybe I'm just getting more pesimistic as I get older  :?:

good read in the herald

I looked down and saw with horror that my tether had somehow come off my harness during the previous wave. I was no longer attached to the boat.

Throwing myself flat on the deck, I desperately clamped my hands around the jack lines, but my grip was pried loose by the force of the water.

I was weightless, lying on my stomach, borne aft towards the open space between the lifelines. This was it. I was going overboard. In these conditions, they would never find me.

From somewhere to my left, James appeared. He had been knocked forward during the impact with the wave and was rolling down the side of the cabin top.

I bounced off him like a pinball, travelled straight sideways, and solid, glorious metal smashed into my armpit like a baseball bat. I had hit a stanchion and stopped.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/boating/65725616/sydney--hobart-onboard-pretty-fly-iii

Archived