Stratosphere Found

Bit more searching.

From http://www.cruisingconnections.co.za/sailinglogs3.htm

The seas around the atoll are particularly bad, rough with strong backwashes and currents, and the island is littered with wrecks. I knew of four ships and three yachts that ended up on the surrounding reefs. One of the wrecks I was determined to visit as it was the remains of a 25 meter catamaran that was being delivered on its maiden voyage from the builders in New Zealand to the Philippines, and belonged to the Marcos family, the then head of state.

I had been asked by a number of islanders to visit this wreck, and advise them if it would be practical to re-float it, and move it into the lagoon for use as a tourist barge. I was skeptical, but agreed to go and have a look.

The yacht "Elan" was still anchored out to sea in the bay, and I invited Scott and Wendy to accompany me. I had to do this by VHF radio as they were anchored a long distance and two reef passes away from me. A powered outrigger was procured on the day, and in a festive atmosphere, the "harbour master", a driver and I motored out of the lagoon, to collect Scott and Wendy.

It was the first time I had been outside the barrier reef on the rough, south side of the island, and on our return we re-entered the lagoon by surfing down waves between breakers on either side. No wonder this "pass" isn't shown on the chart! We were accompanied on this wild ride by Manta rays and Dolphins. Once back in the shallow lagoon the outrigger canoe driver, meandered his way between sand flats, to the southern village of Poland. Once there it was a good hour's walk to the site of the catamaran.

It is always sad to see the wreck of a vessel, even sadder if it is a yacht. This one bore the signs of an immense struggle, as it was one hundred meters from the sea, and another 50 meters from the reef. Like most things that happen on board a yacht, the incident occurred at night some 15 years previously. An error of judgment put a new $2,000,000 catamaran on the reef, instead of in the sheltered bay 10 miles to the north.

At low tide it was dragged across the reef and up on to the beach with the help of a local tractor. Mrs. Marcos, the supposed owner, flew from the Philippines to Christmas Island to supervise the salvage. After a few months of toil in the tropical heat, just north of the Equator, it was decided to abandon the yacht. All the expensive gear was taken off, and flown to Hawaii, where it was sold for a pittance. All that is left are two 80 foot hulls, one of which has a 40 foot gash in it, and most of the interior bulkheads. A lot of the vessel found its way to islanders homes, and many a table or wall is built using parts of the catamaran. My only advice to the islanders who thought of re-launching it, was to leave it where it was.

Been looking hard from info in prev 2 posts but can't see it on GE.

Area is in these 2 pics - village of Poland in centre of black circle.

The 3rd pic has what appears to be a yacht hull on the beach further east as well.

Now the area is narrowed down is that worth the first of the new rum's in stock??

Xmas Island.jpg

wreck2.jpg

wreck 1.jpg

O well done!

I had that spot marked as a possible on Google earth so I'm a bit chuffed about that. I'd thought that was the probable coast, there was something there and I figured that as a wreck it was probable that there'd be a track to it.

stratosphere.jpg

I'll admit that ec12nz did all the hard work!

If you go to Wikipedia and look someplace up, click on the lat/long and it will bring up a number "google earth" type websites and then you just find one that has good photos.

Interesting that the area is called "Bay of wrecks"

Thanks muchly. :clap: :clap:

I'm next due up your way in 4 weeks time for a party! :crazy:

And here is an even clearer link

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=1.853085 ... =0&src=msa

Thanks to HnF for the Wikipedia tip which found this view.

Best you get your tired old arse out for a rum race - I'll even bring some rum. We can get some Messy Games crew out for a session of tea and scones :wave: :thumbup:

Best you get your tired old arse out for a rum race - I'll even bring some rum. We can get some Messy Games crew out for a session of tea and scones :wave: :thumbup:

Cheers Wal - that would be a damn fine idea me thinks - better come up a day earlier to engage in this gentile gathering that could be scary as well :D

I'll PM you closer to coming up to sort out. Party date is Sat 16 Oct so Fri 15th it'll probably be :clap: :clap: :clap: