yacht in big trouble off Whangarei

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coastguard attempted FOUR rescues. Including from helicopter. I'm fairly sure they would have 'just towed the boat in' if they could have. It certainly wasn't a case of not thinking of it...

Jetski registration came about because they are essentially unidentifiable and there are now lots of the little suckers. We all have sail numbers or names on the side.    I learnt not to swim anywhe

the fact that cg couldn't get out to them says a lot about the conditions, i'd say.

Posted Images

I suggested putting out all your anchor gear. If you don’t have the ability or energy to do much more than drifting and if there is land or reef nearby then 100 m or more with an anchor on the end is likely to hook on something before the boat does. When I read the rose noelle story I wondered why they didn’t do it the boat would have stopped before getting smashed on the rocks at Rosalie bay. Not too many places are over 100 m up against the rocks

yep. which, IMO should be a min of 50% more. However, it does not all need to be chain - how about joining the 2ndry anchor warp on? Or a tow line, docking lines, a halyard, even a mainsheet if need is dire...

Insufficient fuel also an issue....

No voyage plan, alternatives  etc ...

At least they had some sort of sea anchor.

I must admit, when I first heard of this, I considered going up to help. Probably should have.

If I recall correctly the Rose Noelle lost her anchor when she flipped. A lot of the storage hatches opened up. I can't remember for certain though...

As for the drinking water... humans can survive for, what? 3 days without water? Barring any medical conditions, at worst they would have been thirsty had they chosen to wait it out. Disclaimer: I am armchair admiral-ing from the point of view of a young, fit person. Then again, I don't want to discredit their capabilities just because of age, either...

This is all very hypothetical without being on board with 2 possibly very sh*t scared people.

All I know is that I learnt from a very young age that it can get pretty bad along that coast. 

I was always taught to leave your last resorts until you have no other options left. As I have previously stated, I remember once being hove to outside the BOI because it was deemed too risky to head in. Not necessarily because we couldn't, but if anything happened like losing the rig or rudder or whatever, then you are in a rather large spot of bother that could have been avoided by just sticking your tail between your legs and sitting it out for 12 hrs or whatever time it takes to abate. 

I recall the old Farr 2 tonner Fireball 2 getting rolled while trying to close in on the coast and that was with a full race crew aboard.

Depending on how close in this boat was, making headway out to sea could be extremely difficult, but you've at least got to give it a go. Even holding station is better than getting closer in. 1 knot of headway and you'll eventually get far enough out that the seas even out a bit.

Obviously option 1 was not to be out there at all, but maybe there's a story behind that also.

All hypothetical though.