Looking for Cherubs

I thought $8,500 was a lot for a plywood kit, but I see that includes full carbon rig, posh sails, deck fittings...

A new laser is $10 or $12k isn't it? a Waszp $20k, one of those Olympic skiff things more than an old keel boat.

So $8,500 actually sounds very attractive, and has got me thinking...

Nothing as rewarding as building your own boat.

Where are these being raced? Fleet numbers etc?

41 minutes ago, KM... said:

The designer/builder of the other boat has considerably more experiance.

"Should be interesting to see the 2 theories line up against each other." 

No doubt Mr. Roper has plenty of experience.

Will be interesting to see.

Auckland yachties at it again ?. Mutually Assured Destruction..MAD. Just like they've done to almost every locally grown class plus having a go at some international classes.Not just centreboarders either .Think it's the air from the Tasman mixing with the Pacific

Always the way. Used to have a good fleet of similar big multis racing for honours then someone bought an Orma, everyone else may as well stay home and they did. Had a small but useful fleet of foilers, then someone bought a GC32, everyone else left along with the medium sized multis.

Watched a video of the Cherubs at Algies and full credit to them. But a quick look showed most of the fleet waaaaaay behind and you wonder how long they will bother.

5 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Always the way. Used to have a good fleet of similar big multis racing for honours then someone bought an Orma, everyone else may as well stay home and they did. Had a small but useful fleet of foilers, then someone bought a GC32, everyone else left along with the medium sized multis.

Watched a video of the Cherubs at Algies and full credit to them. But a quick look showed most of the fleet waaaaaay behind and you wonder how long they will bother.

Did the same someone buy a Ross 930 recently ?  Would be interesting to see an open chequebook campaign unfold with one of those .

You bought deep purple and I’m staying home now !  We don’t like coming 2nd all the time , dunno why we bother 

11 hours ago, 44forty said:

There should a class rule that if you run a business that supples bleeding edge gear to big boat campaigns you can’t put your brand of gear on the boat unless you supply the rest of the class with your gear at wholesale prices 

And said sailmaker is supplying sails to the class at his cost price so he is doing his bit to help grow the class. The sails that are on all the old boats are at least 22 to 25yrs old so upgrading them is needed to keep the boats going. Rigs and foils also need to update as most foils were wooden cored and absolutely rooted as are the old alloy rigs and the carbon ones on offer if you assembled it yourself your up for about 20% the cost of buying off a mast builder so all the right things are been done to keep costs down.Any old usable gear is handed to other guys for no cost to them to get boats out there. At the end of the day there's limited supply of older boats out there in the 90s 10 boat nationals were common so only way to build a fleet with limited stock is build new boats or bring boats in from aussie for example. Still cheap yachting look at the cost of a new laser or starling for example or the cost of a new beiker moth at 40K plus this is a drop in the bucket. Should be 20 boats sailing by mid year so not bad for something that kicked off as a dream mid last year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, 44forty said:

Did the same someone buy a Ross 930 recently ?  Would be interesting to see an open chequebook campaign unfold with one of those .

You bought deep purple and I’m staying home now !  We don’t like coming 2nd all the time , dunno why we bother 

I know of a Ross 930 that has cost the owner well north of $200k. Actually must be getting near $300k since it been a few years since I last saw it. And no, not our bondage king

DP just hides our shitty sailing. As my son keeps telling me :-(