Choosing a replacement winch

I have a Tasman 20 with the original winches and I'd like to replace them. Does anyone have suggestions of what to use? Self-tailing seem to be pretty expensive (possibly more than the boat), so looking at more the 200 each kinda range. Second-hand would be considered too.

Also, what type of cleat should I pair with this? Planning on attaching at location of arrow.

I'm quite new to sailing so I appreciate the advice.

Black Label Stern.jpg

Black Label.jpg

winch and cleat place.jpg

Winch 1.jpg

What you have are one of the better winches made in NZ. Yes they are old tech, but if serviced occasionally they will do another 30 years. Plus no cleats to add if you replaced them with a non self tailing winch. On a Tasman 20 they will cope with anything you can throw at them. A good scrub and "polish" will show them in another light altogether.

• Upvote 4

We have 7 of those winches on our 37 footer, for halyards, refs etc. You wont get better for $200, that is for sure. They are kind of self tailing, in that you can lock the sheet off on top and grind in the last little bit.

As Steve says, give them a polish (and maybe a clean and lube on the inside) and they will give you great service. The only reason I'd change those are if you did put proper self tailors on. But for the size of sails you are handling, I doubt it is worth the effort and cost.

• Upvote 1

^concur.

Pull them off and do a really good service on them - they are simple devices and built to be serviced by the mechanically inept, so don't be scared of them.  With the loads on a 20' TS, they will outlast most other components on the yacht.

• Upvote 1

Agree with all above and will add moving the winches aft may create a lead angle being interferred with by the vessels curve aft, check before moving anything there is likely a very good reason they are where they are.

• Upvote 2
On 6/05/2021 at 3:34 PM, Steve Pope said:

What you have are one of the better winches made in NZ. Yes they are old tech, but if serviced occasionally they will do another 30 years. Plus no cleats to add if you replaced them with a non self tailing winch. On a Tasman 20 they will cope with anything you can throw at them. A good scrub and "polish" will show them in another light altogether.

Excellent advice all around. I'm now restoring them, and yup, they're pretty simple, and full of dirt. I can see the the palls are quite worn. Does anyone know the brand of winch, or any palls that may be available that would fit?

IMG_0068.jpeg

IMG_0067-2.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Keylime said:

I can see the the palls are quite worn.

Hmmm, not so bad that I wouldn't send them around again.  I'd definitely replace the springs though.

Get the brasso out - we expect to see a high polish on these when you are finished!

Blimey! I might go polish my winches as well, they are worth a fortune, they start at over a grand, at the posh ones go up to $3,700 (that is for one, not the pair...)

https://fostersshipchandlery.co.nz/pages/search-results-page?q=murray+winch&page=1

I see the springs and pawls are only $13 ea. Bit if they aren't physically broken, I doubt they would need replacing. There is some art to greasing them (which is always a bit beyond me) I think the short story is not too much grease, so the pawls don't stick. I'm sure someone around here will correct me if that isn't right.

18 minutes ago, Fish said:

I see the springs and pawls are only $13 ea. Bit if they aren't physically broken, I doubt they would need replacing.

Buy and definitely replace all the springs.  Springs of any type work harden and evenually crack and stop being "springy".  Buy a pair of pawls as spares but you will probably never need them.

18 minutes ago, Fish said:

There is some art to greasing them (which is always a bit beyond me) I think the short story is not too much grease, so the pawls don't stick. I'm sure someone around here will correct me if that isn't right.

Correct.  Grease the pawls, the springs, the pawl recesses and the running faces of the drum individually, then wipe MOST of the grease off and assemble with just the smear of grease on all the components.  

Use a good quality marine or waterproof grease.

Do this every 6 months whether you think it needs it or not - even if you haven't used them in that time.

• Upvote 1

Murray Winches - something that is still actually made in NZ, the Wooden Boat magazine crowd love them

https://www.whitestarproducts.co.nz/collections/boat-fittings/winches/

The Pardeys had the big worm drive Major's on Talesin, then there were those custom built winches many years ago for Bucanneer

PS  -don't use grease on pawls, just 3 in 1 oil or similar, or Harken liquid gold

https://fostersshipchandlery.co.nz/products/harken-winch-pawl-oil

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I was admiring the very well preserved Townson 36 Infinity at GH a few weeks ago.

She is fitted with a pair of Wilkie self tailing primary winches. In my view they were/are the Rolls Royce of winches, old school precision engineering.