simrad 60 weather

So was talking a building SW breeze on an outgoing tide.

A multihull gybing through 70 -80 degrees can't sail a straight line anyway.

If you are sailing around 140 true, then that is exactly what you'll do going down the inside of Waiheke.

That means as a % the difference in distance is quite small.

But with an outgoing tide, there is a tidal stream running quite fast pushing you all the way down the inside.

Going the other way there is sod all tide once you are through the Motuihe passage, and even then it starts going backwards as you approach Gannet Rock.

Next big thing is that the Motuihe Passage is notorious for not having any wind, and a building breeze will start blowing sooner off Maraetai.

Every Tauranga race I've done its paid to go the long way round Rangitoto.

The reason is better breeze and missing the Motuihe passage.

I also know the trick has been done before and I understood with some success?

Looking pretty unlikely anyway depending on which forecast you favour!

Interestingly enough we were discussing doing exactly what Tim suggested as a possibility, only this morning.

{edit} Just sussed and there is a more of a mileage difference than 1st thought. If you could be sure of being 2-3kts quicker it could be worth a thought, much slower average speed and probably knot. So multis can think about it but leadswinggers would be taking a sizable gamble I think.

No Richard, that only means you can't go rangi channel. Going down tamaki straight with motuihe to port still takes motutapu to port. It is on your port side.

Opens up some interesting possibilities since Smithy is out of the country and we have his boat, What if i go around Gt Barrier and it takes a week?

Opens up some interesting possibilities since Smithy is out of the country and we have his boat, What if i go around Gt Barrier and it takes a week?

If you're planning to do that could you let me know cos I have to go to work on Monday morning! :lol:

Me thinks we will all be going thru the Motuihe Channel if we want to pass Motutapu to port. Am I the only one who has read the SIs?

Hey KNOT ME is this a potential candidate for the f*ck up cup!

being 2miles longer going the inside if a multihull takes 1.5 hrs to get from moutohuie to ganet rock going the outside the boat going the inside would have to be going on average 1.3 1.5 knots faster. That is quite a bit.

Guest mental outlook

Especially when you get to the Sisters and then end up running DDW through the Bottom End.

Would be extremely painful I would think.

OK

Starting to look a little more settled from the East, going South East later.

So beat out to Gannet (no shortcuts in an Easterly !) should be two fantastic legs then from Gannet to Flat and to Motuora.

But if it goes SE could be a beat home.

I'm glad I sail a multihull which goes well to windward!

Guest mental outlook

That will all depend on whether you can get out of the marina without removing your direction control devices though...

I'm imagining more NE going E rather than that dirty corner down south.

I'll be in a corporate box at the Warriors game. I think rain favours them over the Knights. Have fun all. Having done race 2 and finished last year I don't feel I'm missing out.

Hahahahaha Metservice has just dropped the butt out of its forecast and are now saying the same as predict wind! Might pay to take some extra fuel i think (And by fuel i mean beer!)

Me thinks we will all be going thru the Motuihe Channel if we want to pass Motutapu to port. Am I the only one who has read the SIs?

Hey KNOT ME is this a potential candidate for the f*ck up cup!

:lol: :lol: Oh yeah for sure, that does rate.

I was quite impressed Boo posted such a reasoned reply, there was a large opening there in which to give Changed a good bit of grief, hell you could have driven a 100ft sailing multi thru it :)

Archived