LARGE Solo race in the offing, comments please

Just starting a new thread for this one as I see healthy discussions talking place. This is in response to Zens post on another shorthanded thread. His post below.

Pine Harbour has a great single handed weekend to Gulf Harbour, stay the night, then race home. No extras I'm afraid..

HOWEVER!!!

My next project is to promote through SSANZ, a decent sized single handed race. It will be coastal, so not so far that anyone needs a sleep. But not so short as to make it easy. A hundred miles or so. We've only just started talking about it so a bit of input here might go a long way. Courses? Time of year? To somewhere and bbq brekkie? That sort of thing. Oh yes, definitely extras. It is SSANZ.

What say us??

140 naughtical miles. Working on 7kt average that's 20 hours, hard but doable without too much drama or illegal substances. I did a lot of 12-14hrs solos last year and that time frame is a piece of piss.... but then I do have a crew friendly boat I suppose.

Maybe 60nm around then around A buoy before doing a second lap or off for another 50-60, so if anyone is struggling they can pull the pin closish to home rather than 60nm from it when knackered. Bit of a safety aspect there.

Knot straight out and straight back, corners help people stay on their toes.... and awake.

Lots of check-ins to someone with a computer so punters can watch without having to fit transponder dodackies to all the boats.

Some 1st thoughts.

Who's running the book on:

First to go aground

First to lose a mast

First to get a 1m+ tear in any sail

First to collide

Perhaps a trifecta :?:

Lots of check-ins to someone with a computer so punters can watch without having to fit transponder dodackies to all the boats.

I can do that

It's Steves (Zen) idea but SSANZ is behind it.

Northern leading to Marsden Cove and return next day?

Northern leading to Whitianga ?

Northern leading to Barrier Friday around Barrier Saturday Back home Sunday ?

Waitangi weekend ?

As both a suggestion and an idea of length -

The SSANZ Solo All Islands Circle

Start - Nth Leading

Rangi Is

Tiri Is

Motuora Is

Kawau Is

Little Barrier Is

Gt Barrier Is

Arid Is

Waiheke Is

Motuihe Is

Finish – Orakei

All Islands taken the same side.

Red or Green flag on the Start Boat on the day saying which way.

Course to favour downhilling the homeward 1/2, start uphill.

Length approx 143 naughtical miles.

As both a suggestion and an idea of length -

Start - Nth Leading

Rangi Is

Tiri Is

Motuora Is

Kawau Is

Little Barrier Is

Gt Barrier Is

Arid Is

Waiheke Is

Motuihe Is

Finish – Orakei

All Islands taken the same side.

Red or Green flag on the Start Boat on the day saying which way.

Course to favour downhilling the homeward 1/2, start uphill.

Length approx 143 naughtical miles.

That's a beauty.

I reckon this will be very popular. With SSANZ running it and no crew to find? I'm in, wouldn't miss it, what a great challenge.

What's the measurement if we leave out Motuora and include Channel? Or Motuora and Kawau out?

Maybe Cow and Calf in?

Feb /Mar would give longer days. I like the idea of earlier starts. Mixes in some very light breezes (often). KMs course or similar sounds good. Need sea room when Iget out the big gear on my own. Definitely in if it eventuates.

You might as well add in Cuvier & Channel

Start - Nth Leading

Rangi Is

Tiri Is

Motuora Is

Kawau Is

Little Barrier Is

Gt Barrier Is

Arid Is

Cuvier Is

Channel Is

Waiheke Is

Motuihe Is

Finish – Orakei

You might need 2 divisions.

Div 1 = Singlehanded

Div 2 = Two handed

Ah, that's a no.

Just like those who want to do RNZ 3 handed. No.

Feb /Mar would give longer days. I like the idea of earlier starts. Mixes in some very light breezes (often). KMs course or similar sounds good. Need sea room when Iget out the big gear on my own. Definitely in if it eventuates.

Not "if" Changed. Get your systems sorted, it's happening.

We might even look at a Friday Evening Start.

Obviously next Feb we're busy with RNZ but that's only a dozen boats. I can see this being a hundred boats.

What brilliant idea KM, the french have been doing it for years. But hey we can catch up really fast. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I have the odd one.

I thought pushing out to Cuvier may push it up a Category. It was just a quick thought and I was trying to stay on the 140 mile length. Didn't add in Ponui in or either side of sort of a thing, along with a few others, as I though each boat can do what it likes which adds to the tactical side a bit. Base course with a few places you may have a couple of options which way to go or go thru, so pick what you think works best for you. Keeps people thinking and give the viewers something to chat about.

The CC is 125nm round figures so 140 as a comparison is a healthy length. I do think that we'd need to be a tad careful this doesn't stretch out too far as every extra 10nm is roughly 1.5 hours in OK conditions, maybe 4 in softcock winds, assuming the smaller boat end of the fleet to windward. I think it's probably a tad safer to run a tad short for Version 1 just to see how it all pans out. If that's easy enuff then maybe add 10 miles next time, that works maybe add another 10, sort of a thing. I've been on more than a few boats when hour 30 kicks in and as much as most say 'I'll be sweet' that does seem to be a bit more of a wall than most realise. I do think a target length of no more than 24hrs is probably a safer option for the 1st run. Most can do 24 almost comfortably but after that you really do need to train yourself a bit or the odd funny though pattern can emerge and we don't want boats sitting on the putty while the crew is arguing with an invisible Fred Dagg about who should go get the next beer.

Note - I am excluding a spike in Red Bulls and No-doze sales, some can't handle those and I don't think stimulants should be factored into it anywhere. Knot to say sculling a few Red Bulls won't or shouldn't happen, it probably will for most but it shouldn't be expected to have to happen.

Zens Friday night start call is probably a goodie. leaves more weekend to finish if the weather plays silly buggers. Maybe a 4pm start to get clear of the after work Friday fizz nasty rush if it's a goodie weather wise.

The around all the Islands thing just seemed quite cool and did happen to work out knot a bad length. If it works out to be a totally cool track maybe SSANZ could consider changing Simrad R3 to that so the 2 handed teams can give it a go.

All just thoughts that are or have wondered through my sometimes addled head.

Start Nth Leading

Rangi

Tiri

Lt Barrier

Gt Barrier

Arid

Cuvier

North of Channel

Cow and Calf

Waiheke

Finish

Approx 167nm

or

Start Nth leading

Rangi

Tiri

Lt Barrier

Gt Barrier

Arid

North of Channel

Cow and Calf

Waiheke

Finish Orakei

Approx 150nm

Adding the Cow in does add some length.

or

Start

Rangi

Tiri

Motuora

Kawau

Channel

Cow n Calf

Waiheke

Finish

Approx 110nm

or

Start Rangi

Motuora

Kawau

Lt Barrier

Gt Barrier

Arid

Outside all the Mercs

finish Whitianga

Approx 130nm

Shortest back to Orakei from Whitianga around 75nm.

Be hard to squeeze that into a std weekend sort of time frame though I think, especially if wanting a mass start for the homeward leg. Could be an option though, I hear Sundreamer is happy to put up a 100 boats worth of tired drunken yachties in Whitianga :twisted: :) :)

Some idea of lengths for the pondering upon.

I've assumed coming back via Ruthes passage in them all. All distances as a Seagull flys.

Start

Rangi

Tiri

FLAT ROCK

Channel

Cow n Calf

Waiheke

Finish

This could be about 100 miles and the race could be called:

"100 reasons to invite crew next time :!: "

Crikey we sailed these courses waaaayyyyyy baaccckkk with the IOR boats. Start Friday evening finish Sunday morning, then a good session on the rum and then drive home to bed. :oops:

Ah the good old days eh SJB! :lol:

Back in the old days, when sailors had balls like Cecil,

People raced courses like this....

Start - Nth Leading

Rangi Is

Tiri Is

Motuora Is

Kawau Is

Little Barrier Is

Gt Barrier Is

Arid Is