Nicky Cruz 7.6

GregW

I second that! I barely have enough patience to get one bow section looking nice, Let alone two!

It's three actually! :thumbup:

Oh yes, I forgot the main hull had already been built a few pages back...

You are a legend GregW I am still amazed that you have built all this.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Lessee...... Got the other float sanded and dressed all the timber for the beams (never ceases to amaze me how much material ends up on the floor), built some cradles for the floats. Gonna flip them up and get rid of the building frame this weekend - hopefully :? Then build a bench to build the beams on etc.etc. However, there is a long weekend coming and I feel a rebellion brewing which may result in the execution of some brain cells and a subsequent, if temporary, lack of will to create noise or sawdust :twisted:

DSCF0372.JPG

DSCF0369.JPG

DSCF0380.JPG

I always knew those pesky floats I built would come in handy for something - they make great benches for scarfing timber and assembling beams. Saved building another bench and once I start the second one I can have two on the go at once. Joy.

DSCF0516 - Copy.JPG

DSCF0500 - Copy.JPG

DSCF0533 - Copy.JPG

Looking good as always Greg. Looks like some solid wood sections there. Any carbon going in?

Thanks Rodney. There is no carbon. The beams are just timber/ply boxes glassed over.

I'm pretty sure its actually a tri there 203 (rather than a cat). Mind you, maths was never my strong point :wink:

Haha! And neither was my english :lol: Yes, I figured that out after I had posted.. :?

So Is the boat more of a faster cruising cat than a racing one?

Well its not a 'racing' boat as such. The standard sail plan has a 10 metre mast and is designed as a cruiser/racer kind of boat, like an F25 or F82A. Bruce number with the std rig is about the same as a stock GBE 2 (1.55 IIRC). It could have a much taller/bigger rig and still measure to the 8.5 rule. That might make it a racer/cruiser maybe..... :wink:

A few more. Its good to have long weekends and lots of clamps. It also fits the beam trough, which is a plus.. :idea: Rear beam under way now which is the last major component to build and as is got no curvy bits should go a bit quicker. Have to start thinking about getting some brackets and beam bolts etc fabricated and sorting out the rig etc, still lots to do.

DSCF0551 - Copy.JPG

DSCF0542 - Copy.JPG

DSCF0557 - Copy.JPG

Damn that is a lot of clamps! Nice for you you got some time on it over the weekend. :thumbup: While I was at work, a little boat waits...

Yeh, they come in handy. Weekends are all I have at the moment til around September. I see the little boat comes along well :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh Greg - so close, so close - and yet so far!

You must be really gnawing on the bit to get her out on the water now!

M

Being over the hump so to speak helps (although I'm conscious how all the fiddly bits take time :-). The next milestone will be getting the whole thing bolted together in the back yard. And I will rejoice!!

Anzac day and trial fit of rear beam. A bit tight on one side so will have to get the grinder out :evil:

Sat in the cockpit for a while and started visualising control layouts, where to put winches etc etc.

DSCF0563 - Copy.JPG

DSCF0561 - Copy.JPG

Anzac day and trial fit of rear beam. A bit tight on one side so will have to get the grinder out :evil:

I recall having this conversation with you about 18 months ago when I started building my beams (you were building your main hull beam mounts) ! I decided to build the beams first, then the beam mounts, so I could get an exact fit, you were sure you could build the beams "to plan" and they would fit... classic...

Sat in the cockpit for a while and started visualising control layouts, where to put winches etc etc.

Ah yes - boatbuilding 900hrs; sitting around gazing at it and daydreaming 899 hrs :lol:

Archived