Round North Island NOR

Duty Free

Can you change the post above to Laurie Needham owns Lawless not Terry (that sent me the photos just to confuse things )

The first race was 1977 not 1979

And I'm sure there are others but not a bad effort for our newest committee member.

peter blake and his skipper never won the first round the north island yacht race in 1977 they were first on line

the winner was eric wing yacht mumbi or simlar name

second was sinbad h28 skippered by brown unsure of his full name

third was raven 2 skippered by kevin kelly and co skippered by laurie needham

The cav36 Warchild was 2nd fastest on line next to Blake in the Farr. Now my poor old cav would be 2nd to last on line and prob the 2nd smallest too! Funny how times change huh! ?

Sow, you would actually be mid fleet on size in the current race, but yes in div 4 and luck to be mid fleet in that on handicap rating.

I will put up on the SSANZ website soon a list of the entrants with designs, sizes and co-skippers etc

As for winning the race there is more than one way to achieve this, as in, I consider that we won the 2008 RNI on Danaide, but in reality we only won on ORC overall.

The public generally consider the first across the line as winner ( you may not agree with this but it's the reality )

"Every team that completes this race feel like winners"

Totally agree with you about the line thing. I'd rather do the race in th cav and get last than not do it and think I'm a winner!

Where still working away towards our cat 2 but seeing all these fast boats with flash sails makes u wonder where the loot comes from and how do I find some so I can get a faster boat!

How are all of the preparations going? Got my cat 2 last week, so boat and skipper have now got their certificates in place. Thanks to Bakewell-White Yacht Design for turning around my stability certificate in three days. Got away early on Saturday morning to complete our 250 miles. I would have sooner done the White Island race but we had a good sail. Different being out on your own just pushing along. Had a great genneker ride for a number of hours on Saturday. Found some new leaks that will get dealt to over the next few weeks.

What boat are you on changed? Where wanting to do the next one but the list is getting bigger so undecided if we stick with the cav 36 or try getting a young 11 or something else.

sow1d, To quote RKJ sometimes the best boat is the one you already have, because you already have it. You would have just as much chance of a handicap win in your Cav as you would have in a Y11, just get it out racing so you get a fair rating. Fancy sails are not as important as a well prepared boat and crew.

Unless you win lotto line honours is out of reach for us mere mortals don't get hung up on it that's life.

If you really want to do this race you will find a way to make it happen, my wife and I moved onto our boat a year and a half ago and rented out the house to save the money to do it, there are ways just depends what your priorities are.

We're going on the Cool Change. Small boat but that's what I can afford. If I wait for the right boat it'll never happen. I agree that the best boat to do it on is the one you have. It costs enough to get that ready without having to buy a new one as well. A Cav 36 is almost ready to go. Would be a shame if you weren't there. The thing about using the boat you have is that upgrades can be spread across time. Our preparation started three years ago and they'll likely be finished on 7th Feb!

No they won't be finshed on the 7th, but you will settle for what you've got done.

And definatly your best taking the boat you own and know, as this is the one you understand and know what's needed.

This's isnt a sprite race that you can just go home from half way, it's greatest challenge is that there are only two of you and the boat, so it's the last leg that usually determines the results.

IMHO the best size yacht for this race is between 35-40 foot as this is not too big to handle sails etc but big enough to have a little comfort and get the advantages of finishing in time to get the full stopovers.

Sow, you would actually be mid fleet on size in the current race, but yes in div 4 and luck to be mid fleet in that on handicap rating.

I will put up on the SSANZ website soon a list of the entrants with designs, sizes and co-skippers etc

As for winning the race there is more than one way to achieve this, as in, I consider that we won the 2008 RNI on Danaide, but in reality we only won on ORC overall.

The public generally consider the first across the line as winner ( you may not agree with this but it's the reality )

"Every team that completes this race feel like winners"

Totally agree Jon. In 2002 we were dead last on handicap with a new (to us) boat but still felt as if we'd conquered the world.

2005, knew the boat, treated it more like a race, used a lot of the learning a from the previous race and did somewhat better. But the biggie was the achievement, the friends we made and the whole adventure. Really is a must do.

Not yet

Ham in BBQ,Turkey in oven, rain just gone thru, and 25 for lunch,

Time for coffee and a read!

Thanks Jon and Steve--- we are in to finish in the caravan and ice for the rum ,

Chardonnay at sunst!!!!!!

What boat are you on changed? Where wanting to do the next one but the list is getting bigger so undecided if we stick with the cav 36 or try getting a young 11 or something else.

I know where there is a very nice, quite cheap Y11!!! :D :D Got everything you need for the RNI as well!

Archived