Your Xmas Cruise

Let's hear your stories and see some pics.

I'll go first.

The day after the rum race I drove to Opua and had four glorious days to myself to bring the boat to Whangaparaoa.

That day out to one of the numerous anchorages in the BoI and a long sleep. Next morning early around the Brett and found myself pointing at Great Barrier, seemed like a good idea and I could make it before dark. About two hours later a fast windshift to SE put me hard on in 25kn. A quick conference with myself and we decided a beam reach to Whangaruru was a much better idea. Very pleasant night there. Next morning still on the nose but easing all day, After a big cooked breakfast plodded on to Urquharts Bay.

Suddenly only one day left to get home for Xmas, but a much better forecast of NW and slowly freshening. Left in 5kn, 10 by Cape Rodney, 15 by Takatu and a brilliant reach from the back of Kawau to Tiri in 20 kn. Made it home on time for the party.

Xmas at home

Boxing Day With Angela and D2 sailed to Station Bay and went to sleep. Next morning back to Arkles, drop off D2, pick D1 and partner and some non sailing friends. Light and sunny so a day trip to the anchorage at Tiri for swimming, snorkelling, eating and sleeping. Saw lots of small hammerheads. Dropped the guests and slept at Arkles. Next morning just Angela and I for the first time. Nice day forecast to get shitty. Sailed to Waiti Bay at the bottom of Waiheke, got in just as the rain started and had a day of eating, reading , sleeping and playing silly board games while the rain hit the deck.

Next morning really nice sail on the wind 10-15kn up south side of Waiheke. Stopped at Kennedy Point to visit some family. When we got back to the boat it was blowing straight into the bay and cold and raining. At this point we cheated. We motored 3 miles to Moutihe and a decent anchorage for the night. Sometimes if you have a 90hp diesel and a hard dodger it pays to just use them. (Interesting point - all the anchorages near Auckland seemed strangely empty after the crowds in ths BoI.)

Next Day was NY eve and the girls decided to join us at Matiatia and go fishing. We picked them up from the Ferry terminal and spent the day harassing undersized snapper. Then motored to the viaduct where we had booked a parking spot for the night. Lots of guests and dinner at a restaurant, then back to the boat to watch fireworks. Good Fun, lots of noise.

Next morning just Angela and I again and 3 days to get back to Russell for the Tall Ships Race. So we got underway early (about 7) and motored in a calm and sporadic rain, till I ran out of enthusiasm and stopped at Leigh for the night.

Next day forecast was west going NW later then freshening. Bugger. So we left really early (5) and sailed to Sail Rock on the last of the westerly. Then engine again as It forst died then went NW and very slowly picked up all day. Got to about 20 less than 1 mile from Brett. Cheated again and motored that last mile (after motoring half the day it hardly seemed to matter) but had a nice reach after the Cape back to Honeymoon , which was crowded.

A day to catch up on R& R then early on the 4th into Opua then Russell to pick up a crowd for the Race. Glorious warn day with breezes in the low 20's, a 20 min beat then 2 hours of reaching and running - they know how to set a course. Observant readers will already know we got the LIne honours trophy (watelrline wins out again). What a buzz to look back at some 90 boats spread out behind you. Big hangi and dancing till we collapsed at RBC that night.

Sunday to clean up and pack, then Monday drive home. Great trip, a little too much motoring, no fish, but still smiling.

When can I go again?

post-3043-141887262695.jpg

post-3043-141887262697.jpg

post-3043-1418872627.jpg

post-3043-141887262703.jpg

post-3043-141887262705.jpg

post-3043-141887262707.jpg

post-3043-141887262709.jpg

post-3043-141887262711.jpg

post-3043-141887262712.jpg

Due to young sons up coming knee operation, we took the land yacht for a first run since a major rebuild...

on the beach.jpg

SA beach life..

steel yacht ashore.jpg

What happens when you get it wrong...about 60 foot, cruising yacht...

end or start.jpg

This coast is full of rocky reefs and all the interesting stuff.

After we have been through !.jpg

As usual, we had done miles and miles....got to 20 meters of the main road and had to move the signs to get out....Vans 4x4, LSD, long range tanks and all that stuff : )

Caloola out station.jpg

The remains of the lime stone out station. Beautiful stone well.

Was built for the boundry riders to move the cattle in land because if they spent to long on the coastal ground they got poisoned. The home stead was just too far away.

We had a great cruise, went out to Onetangi on the the 21st (extremely hungover after the crew.org rum race....) and sat out sundays gale in there at t beach with some other friends. Had a great sail to the barrier with 15-25kts up the date and the kite up, probably the best sail I have had in the boat yet with some good surfs. The kids didnt enjoy it as much and we had all 3 of them sick at various times which resulted in a few bags of spewy gear... We managed to rip the middle hatch off in a gybe due to the vang catching it (it was opened to ventilate the spew smell from inside..) Gybing a kite in 22kts 2 handed with 3 kids isnt the easiest maneuver. The hatch was easily fixed.

Hung out in fitzroy for a few days including christmas then headed round the back. completed a full circumnavigation of great barrier over about 6 days and had new years in katherine bay with heaps of good friends.

Then went back via kawau for a few days to catch up with some others.

All in all it was a superb holiday.

Here is my video of it. (if someone wants to embed it then go ahead, it never works for me...)

This year it was out to the Barrier. Left on the 27th and had to motor half way before the Norwester filled in for a lovely sail to Bowling Alley Bay. Spent time in Fitzroy doing walks on Kaikoura Island for a magnificent view as well as the Kauri Dam walk.

Then headed on down to Great Mercury Island. Been going there for 40 years and its as stunning as the first visit. Check out the video of some of the views. Then back last week - where we spotted a whale off the end of Coromandel in the flat calm conditions.

whale 1.jpg

Yachst 2.jpg

just got back from a week on the boat around the gulf, kawau , tiri , waiheke,new top speed of 19 knots in a hail storm on the first day passing between the reefs south of kawau etc ,all good fun until coming back into the tamaki river yesterday as the wind was getting up we spun the center out of the yamaha prop and hurriedly got the sails up again to clear the rocks near musick point and then anchored in the river overnight to repair the prop with ss nails and epoxy. last night blew hard until 530 am when it dropped right off suddenly and i was able to get under the boat to refit the prop. worked a treat and every one was still asleep as i happily motored up to the pole mooring. in to neutral i went forward to pick up the lines , slipped on the wet deck ,must have gone under the lifelines, my fault bottom one missing, in the water with a broken hand, climbed back up and managed to still tie up before we drifted away or hit the pole, family finally appears and wonders why i have been swimming. tidied up and unloaded the boat then drove home and to the hospital, now in a cast and looks like 6 weeks off work. will fix those lifelines before i sail again , same slip on my own with the auto pilot on could have been much worse, i certainly wasn,t expecting to go in the water and it all happened so fast that i never felt my hand hitting whatever it hit or the lifelines as i went under them. :)

Bugger! Broke a bone in my hand and it was a pain while it was in a cast, but because it didn't set properly was even more of a pain afterwards. Take care of it and don't try to overdo .... Let it heal properly otherwise it'll be more of a problem later.

thanks, i need the advice, last time i cracked my arm we cut off the plaster and used it as a mould to make a new one out of fibreglass so that i could go surfing for a month. worked out alright as the bone was only cracked and not out of alignment and it meant the arm didn,t wast away or the elbow lock up as it would of after 6 weeks in a normal cast. will try to be more careful this time to let it heal. still i do have some epoxy and kevlar cloth in the shed :idea:

that looks so much better , they would/must have to split it in half to put it on , thats how we did my glass one and would carefully remove it to dry my arm after surfing,then tie it back on by wrapping a bike inner tube around it. we could have drilled lots of holes to make it breathe better and be lighter.seems unless he has patented the idea there is not much to invest in as anyone else could make one.?

first half of the cruise completed....

Plimmerton to Picton today in just over 9 hours, was pretty happy with in a 5.5m open dinghy 8) A Week holiday in the sounds with the family then next week will be the return trip, video when I get home :D

If medical 3D printing is of interest, you may wish to do a search on cell printing.

Its well and truly up and running now.

One example is where they are scanning wide and deep wounds, and then 3D printing a "own body" piece to go back in.

Other simple body parts have been done with great success, including sections of colon.

Because they are printed with the recipients own grown cells there is no rejection.

It is an extremely exciting form of medicine.Even the researchers have been stunned at how fast it is progressing. A talk the other evening stated that they are five years ahead of where they thought they would be on a project only two years old !!

Because the cells "know" what they are meant to be....the possibility of more complex organs seems possible.

The mapping of the original organ, and then using a medical version of paint shop to edit the damaged sections is one possibility. Given an accurate "print file" the actual printing side seems to be far easier than ever thought !

wow what a thread drift :D

Yes really exciting stuff however its rich man's medicine. Can't see it being used in poor countries. Seems there's breakthroughs that matter to mankind and then treatments you need big money for.

Archived