16 replies to this topic

#11 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,187 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

Aa solar has recently been sold. New owners now...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#12 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:34 AM

I have bought 4 130w flexible panels off trademe for 180 each, not sure about warranty but they seem fine at the moment and less than a kg each.

#13 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:39 AM

Extl, the issue with the low cost panels I’ve used and seen so far is a year or two down the track the pet coating becomes cloudy, and brittle....
I’d not by a pet panel again myself, but they are cheap.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#14 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Maybe worth covering them from the sun when not needed, both to stop fading and the danger of overcharging if the regulator was to fail? Not too keen on leaving the boat with 600w coming in and nothing being used for months on end. Maybe An old blanket with some solar showers to hold it in place? And one of the glass panels exposed to keep the batteries up.

#15 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

thats a good idea imho

I have a single 130w from burnsco and its perfect for topup

#16 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

We just got 2 x 90w flexible Juice panels from Enertec Marine in Albany. They had a boat show special running, which we jumped on. Got an MPPT controller from some random place, possibly trademe, same brand as the good ones.

The Juice panels are half the price of the Solbain ones, but have a much higher spec than the cheapo's such as from Burnsco. We are aware of issues with the PET coating stuffing themselves in sub-optimal timeframes with those. There is a question around using them for 2 years then replacing, but we went for the longer term solution at higher initial cost.

A positive for the Juice panels, the surface is as good a non-skid as our deck, and they are suitable for walking on. This greatly improves where we can put them. Obviously not in high traffic areas on the side decks, but we have put them on the cabin top, where I need to walk when dropping and flaking the main sail.

A comment on mixing the panel sizes, the guy at Enertec said while you can do this, it restricts the efficiency of the larger panel, due to the smaller panel constraining total current (or something like that). They recommend having panels of the same size if you can make it work. 

#17 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:09 PM

Fish, random panel sizes make no difference in parallel installs, but can be bad in a series install...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users